Kidnapped

Kidnapped

A Chapter by kafrinee
"

Merethyl has been kidnapped and put in a cage with humans who hate her. They are being taken to Oshuldon to be sold. A strange man interrupts them. Will she be saved?

"

I awoke slowly to the sound of metal clanking on metal, carts being pulled, the soft clomp of horse hooves as they hit the dirt, a loud murmur of voices, and a gruff voice shouting above all the murmur. The large lump on my head throbbed as a reminder of the night before. I sat up slowly, my blurry vision slowly clearing up.

Metal cuffs were around my wrists, chains attaching to the floor of the metal cage that imprisoned me. At least ten others were sitting in the same cage. Most of the humans were matted with dirt, their hair looking as if a rat had nested there. Their clothes were tattered and torn except for one girl that sat in the corner, sitting as far away as her chains would allow. Her long brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail, her blue eyes were narrowed, her lips turning into a slight scowl and then relaxing only to scowl again. Her light orange and red clothes were dirty but not torn.

Some of them were scowling at me while others were looking around at the camp, fear in their eyes. There was one yanking on the chains, panic set in his face and motions. There was a younger girl yanking on an older man's shirt, crying as she spoke, "I want to go home..." The older man brushed her off and glared at me. There was another who was sitting on the cage floor, rocking as he held his head in his shaking hands. He muttered unheard things to himself earning looks from a panicked few, causing their panic to increase further.

As I watched the man rock back and forth he slowly brought his head up and met my eyes. In an instant, the man went into a frenzy and stood up, jumping on the bars. He shook the cage back and forth. "It looked at me! It looked at me!" He cried as he continued to shake the bars, begging to be let out. "Let me out! I don't want to be around this disgusting elf!" His frenzied shaking of the cage gained the attention of some nearby beasts. They were large, muscular, their mouths set in a sneer, their skin colors multiple shades of green. One of the nearby beasts walked over, his eyebrows furrowed at the crazy human.

What happened then was only a blur of red. The orc reached through one of the bars and grabbed the mans wrist. An evil sneer-like grin stretched across his face as he looked into the frenzied mans eyes whose face had turned pale in return. Then with a loud ripping sound and a howl of pain, the man was on the floor of the cage. His blood poured out from the shoulder where his arm should have been, a loud screech of pain came from the mans mouth. In the background there were multiple screams of fear, and sounds of footsteps on metal as they all scrambled up to move away from the dying man.

The blood that splattered from the wound had landed on my clothes, the pooling blood spreading to my feet and soaking the shoes that I wore. A scream exited my own mouth, I scrambled back against the bars staring in fear at the man laying on the floor. I felt the blood drain from my face and my hands beginning to shake in fear of these beasts. There was a fear inside of myself that had told me not to get too close to the bars, but I was frozen in place from the cruelty I had just witnessed. "Clean it up." The beast threw the arm at another standing nearby and walked away blood dripping from his hand.

I forced myself to move, to look up at the human's standing across from me. Some of them were throwing up while others were looking away or screaming and shaking. The blue-eyed girl, however, was standing mostly calm except for the color that had drained from her face. She almost looked as if she were going to be sick. Soon the orcs yanked us out one by one and quickly cleaned the cage out. They returned us only moments later to a half cleaned cage. Smudges of blood remained on the floor where he laid and the bars around the area he clung to. I swallowed down a panic that began to rise in my throat and sat down shaking and afraid.

I took deep breaths to calm myself, attempting to think of peaceful thoughts. I tried to ignore the smudges of blood that littered the cage and hoped the beasts would not feed off of my fear. Across from me were the humans that were in the same situation but the younger few were not doing as well. The sounds of crying, sniffing, and panicked muttering filled the immediate area. I could see some of them shaking from where I sat. They were just as afraid - if not more - as I was. Except for the blue-eyed girl. She sat there, color still drained from her face but, otherwise, completely calm. The only hint of fear was the drained face.

As soon as she spotted me looking at her the look on her face turned from slight fear to hatred in a second, "What are you looking at elf?" Her tone was a sort of mocking disgust.

I glanced at our surroundings hastily, trying to think of an excuse to be looking at her. Besides all the green beasts that guarded the small traveling camp, there was only tall trees of every kind, the green grass, and some overgrown shrubs. "W-where are we?" The panic from earlier caused me to stutter.

The girl let out a short unamused laugh, "Are you blind or just stupid?" The girl rolled her eyes, "This is elven territory. We humans don't venture out here." Some of the least panicked humans nodded in agreement with her while backing up her 'blind or stupid' statement.

I sighed, trying to ignore them as I looked around a bit more carefully. I had never been outside the city except for when I was a child. Even then I never ventured out farther than the edge of the village. However, Luthais had told me about the area surrounding the city. There were only a few landmarks I knew of.

Trees, trees, shrubs, berries...Nothing. "I'm not sure-"

The look the human girl gave me silenced my thought. "Could you not speak? Your stupid may be contagious." I blinked a few times, taken aback by her comment. "That's better," she fiddled with her hair as she went back to staring at the smudges.

"Why are you-"

"HALT!" The cart we were being carried on suddenly stopped causing the group to stumble around where they were seated. When everyone was grounded, we all looked up to see a hooded figure standing in the center of the green beasts. "Make camp for the night!" His arm whipped around to point at a figure standing at the side. "You! Find water for the prisoners!" The figure took off in a direction and it was over. The green beasts scrambled around putting up tents, making a fire, and making their bedding.

"Where are we going?"

The girl sneered at me before she answered my question. "Oshuldon to be sold as slaves. Though I can't think of any reason why they would want you." She scanned my body, glancing down and then back up to my face. "I'm sure your parents wonder that themselves. 'Why did we want her again?'" Her voice changed slightly as she mocked the would-be parents.

"Excuse me?" I choked out through the bubble of sadness that made it's way up my throat. My heart throbbed as familiar thoughts flooded my mind. I had questioned that so many times as a child only to be told by Kazumi it wasn't true. My parents loved me so much that they had given their lives to protect me. There is no love like a parents for their child. Kazumi had told me that much countless times and each time I would go back to question it again.

The girl smiled widely as my face twisted into sadness and hurt. The sadness growing in intensity as I listened to the humans sitting around me. The group that surrounded us was even laughing with her. "Look at her," she motioned to me as she spoke to a man sitting beside her, "she's weak, frail, probably can't take care of herself." She looked at me, "I'm sure the parents are relieved. No more child, no more stress."

Memories flooded to me. The only memories of my parents - my dad taking time out of his work to play with me, and mom cooking in the kitchen as she prepared food for her family. Kazumi taking care of me, saving me that day I tripped at the marketplace, cooking in the kitchen even when she knew I wouldn't eat, making sure I was protected and well taken care of. It would have been easier for her if I hadn't been around. This human girl was right. My parent's lives would have been easier if I hadn't been alive.

I pulled my legs to my chest, wrapped my arms around them and rested my head on my knees. The sadness I felt swell up in my throat spilled out onto my cheeks, dripping sideways onto the edge of my nose. They created a puddle there until they dripped onto my knees. The insults coming from around me seemed to soak into my skin and make their way into my thoughts. They invaded my memories, distorting them and creating something evil and misleading. The, once happy memories, were now distorted into something that never was.

I cried myself to sleep that night and awoke when the sun began to peak over the horizon. I was curled in a ball, laying on the floor with my back facing everyone else. My face was sticky from tears, the puddle that had developed below my face now dried up. The feeling of sadness from last night left marks on my mind and heart. I ignored the twisted memories in the front of my mind and began to search for happiness through the nature in front of me. The sky above was clear with the sun rise creating unique colors that filtered all throughout the morning sky. The forest around me was vibrant in color and full of wildlife. The animals seemed content as they rushed around to take care of their families, the bugs buzzing around busily. The kidnappers had already pulled up camp and began their trek towards their destination. Ahead there was a beautiful forest full of a unique type of tree - these unique trees had leaves that turned into water as they touched the ground. The leaves were a light blue while the trunks were almost a tan color. Waterwood Forest.

As we entered the wet forest I watched the blue leaves float from the tops of the trees and dissipate on the ground. I heard the ground squish beneath the feet of the kidnappers, the humans behind me stared in awe at the trees surrounding us. They commented on the leaves disappearing when they hit the ground. I never said anything, never gave them the knowledge. I only stared up at the leaves as they glided downwards through the air and slipped between the bars of the cage and landing around me. I gave a small smile as I caught one in my hand, instantly feeling the water seep between my fingers and drip onto my clothing. I sipped the water from my palm and looked back up towards the sky.

I could feel the others eyes on me as I continued to drink the water from the leaves. They were scrutinizing my every movement, criticizing every momentary decision. Finally I turned around and looked at the group. I instantly met a blue pair of eyes that burned their way into my soul. "You should try drinking some of the water. We'll need our strength."

The girl examined me up and down as she scowled. "Strength? What strength?" She turned her head, making a short laugh. "Useless elf..."

One of the younger ones tried it, catching the leaf only to have it slapped out of their hands. The water splashed onto their clothing. "Why did you-?"

"Are you ignorant? Don't trust the elf. I'm positive she's just tricking you." Her eyes pierced mine, "They're all liars."

The younger one turned their confused eyes to me only to nod in agreement with the girl. "Lying elf. You tried to have me killed!"

"What? I just-" I began to defend myself only to be interrupted by various insults from the group of humans. I turned back around, sighing and falling even deeper into my sadness.

Suddenly there was a clang of the bars behind me and a scream. I spun around to see one of the humans behind held up in the air by one of the green creatures that had kidnapped us. "You all are annoying me." His nose crinkled as he stared at the man, anger contorting his face. "I wonder... How much it'll take to get you to shut up..." The creature lifted the human up into the air as if he was nothing but a rag doll and threw him across the camp. He slammed against a tree, the crack audible from where I was sitting, and fell limply to the ground. In a rush, I stood and slammed myself against the bars. I watched the guy, stared at his chest until it noticeably rose and fall from his breathing.

"How dare you!!" The blue eyed girl stood up, glaring at the green creature that scowled at the her.

"You want to be next, tiny thing?"

"Tiny?!" She grabbed the bars of the cage and began to shake it. "I'll show you tiny!!" The creature stomped towards her and began to reach for her neck. Her hand began to turn red as the creature's hand began to reach the bars. It was just a touch, but that's all it took for him to yank his hand back. He was screaming in pain from the burn she had inflicted, but it was only for a short moment. The creature looked up at her, hatred burning in his eyes. "Bring it, you oaf!" The creature rushed towards her, reaching his large hands towards the girl inside of our cage. He reached his large hand through the bars, reaching for her neck but only grabbing her arm. I could see his knuckles turn a lighter color as he squeezed her arm, but she never complained. She only wriggled out of his grasp and jumped backwards bumping into me.

"Get out of my way, elf." She shoved me to the side, sneering at me as I landed on my side.

"What's going on here?!" One of the creatures approached, only this one was hooded. The one attacking stopped to back up from the cage, but never quit glaring at the blue eyed girl.

Behind him was the human he had thrown. He was breathing, but needed healing badly. "Throw that one back in and lets get moving." The orcs that carried the human walked over, opened the cage door, and threw the person in. The human landed in the cage in a heap, the rest of them rushing over to lay him on his back. He groaned slightly as they moved him. Blood dripped from his head, and there was surely a broken bone or two. I walked closer to the group as they all bent and huddled around the groaning human. I attempted to move my way through the crowd, but my movement was interrupted by the blue-eyed girl.

"Get back!!" The blue-eyed girl shoved me away from the crowd. I stumbled backwards and looked back up, meeting the girls hate-filled eyes.

"But I can-"

"What? Make his condition worse with your so-called skills?" She laughed, though there was no actual laughter in her voice. "Wait, what skills were those again? Oh right, you're only good at being a pretty face." She knelt down beside the human, examining his condition.

I stepped back from the crowd and looked away from her, slightly offended. The girl sat over him, attempting to heal him with her mage abilities. Though, no healing was like my own. Mages healing was limited, they could only heal as much as their ability aloud. Some were amazing healers, bringing some away from the brink of death, but could not heal the body completely. There were always limits. They could also only heal people. With my own, I could bring someone back from the dead, but at the cost of my own life. I could heal plants, animals... anything that needed it. However much I give takes away from my own life. While I can get the strength I lost back, I cannot give too much out without risk to myself.

The girl sat above him with her hands on his chest. A light glow emanated from her hands and slowly the human began to breathe better. After a while, she sighed and put her hands down. The human laid on his back, his head to the side as he groaned in pain. I crossed my arms, aggravated at the girl sitting in front of me with the crowd of people around her. This hurt one would live, but only barely. I rolled my eyes, turned around and sat against the bars of the cage.

"He'll be okay," She sat back on the heels of her feet and wiped away some sweat on her forehead.

"Barely." I snapped at the girl. It was one thing to insult me personally, but it was more serious when someone's life was on the line. I crossed my arms glaring back at the girl whose eyes met mine. "What could you do with those pathetic healing abilities?" I scoffed, "And I'm the useless one." I muttered under my breath in anger as I turned around and sat against the bars of the cage.

"What did you say to me?!" She stood up looking as if she were ready to pounce. "Think you can do any better?!"

I closed my eyes, ignoring the ignorant girl. I would sleep this time away. I would ignore anything she would say. I'd make it there and hopefully be rescued by someone. Luthais would come get me eventually. He would save me as he always did.

 

 

The following days were long and torturous. Food and water was scarce and we were rarely fed. We went through the Waterwood Forest and into the Misty Plains. We spent two days in the Misty Plains until we made it into another forest. Soon, we were at a dock. The dock was the thing that sent us to Oshuldon. Meanwhile, the human girl never let go of a chance to bully me or put me down. The orcs were making their way through the humans one by one, hurting them in some way or another. The human that was first hurt made it through, but as a result of not getting the proper healing he was crippled. I felt sorry for him because it could have been prevented, but Wthere was little I could do about it now. As a result of that the humans didn't want anything to do with him anymore, which was cruel in a way. He was also now the only one that would put up with me. I guess, the outcasts stick together.

The human was actually friendly, had a decent personality, and seemed to have quite a bit of family back home. He talked happily about his wife and daughter, but as soon as he smiled a frown would form on his face. I, honestly, couldn't imagine the pain he was going through. In return I talked a little about myself and how I was a medic back home. I told him about my own family life, but told little information about my birth parents.

"I could have helped you..." I told him as I was staring at his leg one day. "I could have helped you and you wouldn't be crippled right now..."

He only put a hand on my back and smiled as his eyes filled with a type of kindness I hadn't seen from a human in a long time. "There's no healer on this planet that could have helped me. It's okay." He patted my back gently before moving his hand.

I gave a small smile back at him. "There is only one healer that could have helped you..." I curled up my legs to my chest and laid my head on my knees. I beat myself up for days for not being able to help him. I wished that somehow I would save this man from slavery. He could return to his wife and daughter.

Eventually we docked at Oshuldon. The city was an unforgettable sight. Sand covered the area as the place was located in a barren landscape. The walls around the city were made of sand and fortified with sharp sticks woven together and stood in front of the walls. Mercenaries patrolled the tops of the walls with weapons as they stared out into the landscape for signs of any sort of threat. The people in the roads of the city were scarce and those that were there were hunkered down with their eyes darting around them. People hugged their purses and coins, thieves were constantly chased through the city with most of them escaping, slaves were sold openly on top of a stage in the center of the city, pirates hauled their illegal and stolen goods from their ships to the warehouses to be sold to whatever shops existed in the area.

I stood in place on the docks, staring out into the crime-rampant city. Behind me stood the line of humans, the blue-eyed one immediately behind me and the crippled one behind her with the rest of them only bloodied or bruised. A single chain ran among us all with irons clasped around our wrists. I sighed, thinking of home and how peaceful it was compared to this place. I imagined and pictured home in place of the barren area before me now. How beautiful and safe it was compared to this. "Let's go!" I was yanked forward by the - as I discovered by the crippled human - orcs that had kidnapped me.

We were led forward into the bustle of the city center. Some beaten people stood on the stage. Their hair matted together, shackles staining their wrists with blood, their clothes torn and dirty. They had a similar look to their faces. They looked down at the ground, not meeting anyone's eyes. A defeated look was in their eyes and posture. My heart tore for them. I wished I could do something for them, that somehow they would be saved and they would return to their family. Unfortunately, I was powerless and unable as I was in their same position.

They dropped half of us off at the stage, majority of them in the back. It was now me, the cripple, the blue-eyed girl and a couple of others. The orc that pulled us looked back, grinning, his sharp teeth standing out, "We've got something special planned for you." His body shook as he laughed again, facing forward.

"Stay here." The hooded one stopped us in front of a small building. The orc stopped and dropped the chain on a post near the shop. I sighed, looking down at my already bruising wrists.

"I can't believe this." I looked back at the scowling girl behind me. "We're as low as the elves."

"What?" This girl was beginning to irk my nerves.

"You've got such large ears, I didn't think you were deaf too." The girl began muttering to herself and I faced forward feeling extremely offended. "I was talking to you!" She kicked me my back causing me to stumble and run into the post we were connected to. "You listen when I'm talking to you. Your kind is so-"

Suddenly she was yanked up by a man only slightly smaller than Luthais in comparison. He had long blue hair with only half of it up with his ears standing tall, proud, and pointed. He wore a loose, thin pair of pants with a loose short sleeved shirt. The shirt was unbuttoned with his full chest showing. His hair was damp with sweat, as was his chest and face. Without as much as a glance in the direction of the girl he was holding in the air, he looked at me and said, "Are you hurt?" I stumbled to gain my feet and nodded.

In the meantime, Elaine was shouting and swinging her arms at the man that held her in the air. She was giving threats and screaming as if he were miles away from her. Eventually she landed a hit on the side of his face, leaving a slight pink hand mark. His noticeably red eyes immediately moved in her direction, giving her a look that instantly shut her up. Instead of saying anything, however, he only dropped her. She landed in a heap on the ground, yanking the rest of us toward her. The man caught me in his arms before I could land on her. "Th-thank you..." I squeaked, obviously nervous and embarrassed.

He held me for a moment, staring down at the shackles around my hands. His eyes were kind for a moment as he stared at them. Suddenly there was a dagger in his hand. I squirmed as I considered what he was going to do. "Stay still," he glanced up at me, "or I will cut you." I froze looking away for a moment as fear consumed me. The next thing I knew was my hands felt slightly lighter. I peaked over to see that the chains linking us together were gone. "You don't want to be seen connected with those worthless ingrates." I heard Elaine in the background yelling at the man, obviously offended at his comment towards the humans. Her voice was drowned out by a slam of a door nearby.

"Thief!" An angry gruff voice came from the building. The orc standing in the door way was a deep purple color, two teeth standing out over his upper lip, his face looked to be in a permanent scowl. The man only swung me up on my feet and rolled his eyes.

"You got yourself in a mess, huh?" He rolled his shoulder and pulled out his sword that he had swung across his back. The orc flashed towards the man; I was sure that he would be defeated in that instant, but the man easily blocked the orcs sword with his dagger.

The orc's smirk deepened as he considered the man he was about to battle. His grunts grew louder as his anger increased, their weapons clashing again and again until both were only staring at each other panting. Neither of them had a scratch, they were evenly matched. "Hmph. We'll end this now." He motioned towards the orcs behind him and they all grabbed their own weapons.

They all came at him at once, but he only jumped backwards and ran out of their circle. He attempted to take one out at a time, focusing on one and dodging other attacks. Eventually, the orcs got the better of them, one stabbing the man in the shoulder.

"Stop, that man's mine!" The blue-eyed girl was on her feet, hands glowing a deep red, and she was bolting towards the man that was attempting a rescue. However, her effort was interrupted when the deep purple orc blocked her path, slamming his arm into her chest causing her to fly backwards with the other humans chained to her. They all slammed against the wall of a building.

I glanced back at the girl, surprised to see her still attempting to get up. It was obvious she was hurt. She would probably have broken ribs, her head was bleeding, and who knows what the collision with the building caused. The other humans only complained, a little bleeding but nothing else.

Looking at the man who was doing the rescuing, I noticed he had more injuries. The orcs were grinning as they attacked ruthlessly. "Merethyl!!" I heard a familiar voice behind me and suddenly there were elves surrounding me. A familiar face was by my side for a moment and then shouting orders to the elves surrounding me. The orcs paused only a moment then continued their attack, but only this time they began to scuffle with the new attackers.

"Essatri!" I looked up at the familiar tan face and brown hair. "Luthais, he tried to protect me but..." Kazumi shushed me, calming me before she turned to the purple orc and began their own fight. The man who had originally tried the rescue was sitting on the ground against the wall, his head resting back and his eyes closed.

I turned around glancing at the blue-eyed girl again. She was laying on the ground, her breathing had slowed almost to a stop. There was no fight left in her. Panicked, I ran towards her, skidding on my knees at her side. "Look at me," the girl didn't respond. "I need you to talk to me, human."

"Her name's Elaine." The crippled human was at my side, sitting on the ground. "There's nothing we can do for her, she's as good as dead now."

I shook my head, opened one of her eyes, listened to her chest. Her heartbeat was still there. She would live. I put my hands over her chest, releasing the warmth of my power. The warmth spread down my arms and into my hands, flowing from my hands and engulfing her entire body. Immediately, her injuries began to heal and breathing quickened. The light that engulfed her body soon began to travel farther, spreading onto the ground. The ground began to grow lush green grass around the girl, the occasional wild flower popping up.

With all of this, I felt my strength leave my body. Immediately I felt weaker, as if I was going to fall over, but I kept sitting straight up - I wasn't even sure how. My vision began to get blurry and spotty. Sweat formed on my brow, my breathing quickened as if I had been exercising. I began to feel emotionally exhausted as all of the emotions I had felt were also being transferred. When her eyes fluttered open, I stopped. She looked at me, surprised by my actions and possibly even my ability. "You-How-Why-"

 I sat back, resting against something. Looking to the side I saw blue hair. It was the man. I was resting against his arm. "You're too nice. Should o' just let the human die."

 I shook my head, panting as I struggled to keep my consciousness, "No one deserves this."  

The man immediately let me go, causing me to fall over onto the ground too weak to keep straight. "Naïve." It was the only thing he said before he turned to lean against the nearby wall. I blinked slowly at the girl that was in front of me, sweat dripping from my forehead to the ground. My body laid limply on the ground, I wasn't able to lift or move anything. After opening my eyes from a blink, I looked up at Elaine who was focused on a spot on the ground, deep in thought.  

"I..." Elaine started as she caught me looking at her then looked away. Something about her, her face or her posture, said she was embarrassed, ashamed, or confused. Maybe she was all three, but for a long moment she didn't speak at all. Finally she noticed what condition I was in and snapped her head in the direction of the man. She glared at him as he was only leaning against the wall, "You, are you blind? This girl needs help." He ignored her. "Oh, so you're just stupid then. Can't speak? Weren't taught?"

He narrowed his eyes at her, bounced himself off of the wall and walked towards us. His eyes never left Elaine's as he bent down, grabbed me, and threw me over his shoulder. My feet hung in front of his chest while my head was on his back. "You will NOT hold my daughter like a sack of potatoes!" I noticed my mother, Kazumi, standing there with her hands on her hips giving him the mother-death stare. He spun around, meeting her eyes. Sighing, he slid me down off of his shoulder and wrapped his arm around my waist. "What's your name, boy?" She narrowed her eyes, looking as if she were suspicious of his intentions.

"Moreliss." He was short with her, walking forward down the road as he answered. I could do nothing but go with him and only hope that the others were following.

 

 

It wasn't long until we reached a small inn. It was mostly empty except for the tables, chairs, and the random person standing around the room snarling at everyone that walked in. We walked up to the desk in the back of the room and Moreliss slapped some change on the table. "It's for the night." The innkeeper nodded slightly, sliding the change into a coin-purse. Moreliss and I walked down the hall and stopped at the last door. He barely managed to open the door and get us in, then he sat me on a couch. Afterwards, he sat down next to me and crossed his arms as he leaned back.

I closed my own eyes, feeling Kazumi slide in between Moreliss and I. I could feel her hands search my face, feel my forehead, and then I felt her lips on my forehead. She had never seen me after I used my powers as I was forbidden to use them. "Essatri, I'm fine. I just need to rest." I mumbled as she still continued to worry over me, yelling orders for everyone to get water and food. I heard rushing around, clinking of chains, the loud chattering of voices, and Elaine complaining that she was still chained up.

"That's where humans belong," I heard Moreliss say to Elaine.

"What?!" Elaine started towards Moreliss, but was stopped by the chains connected to the others. Moreliss laughed at her predicament and closed his eyes once more.

"What do you mean you can't find water?" Kazumi snapped at someone squirming uncomfortably in front of her.

"They said-"

"I'll just find it myself." I felt Kazumi rise from the couch and slam the door as she exited the room. A few moments later she came back and sat down. "Always have to do everything myself. Helpless little..." she mumbled to herself as her aggravation began to rise. "Here, Merethyl, drink this." I grabbed the glass of water and downed it, feeling a little better after drinking.

"I need to rest..." Kazumi nodded her head, and began to shoo everyone away so that I could rest in silence. She narrowed her eyes at Moreliss, as if she were giving him a warning and exited the room. Moreliss stood up, muttering something about finally getting some peace and quiet and then hopped on the bed. I only stretched out on the couch and drifted to sleep.

 

 

As my consciousness returned to me I became aware of the warmth on my skin. A bright light pierced through the darkness behind my eyelids. I moved my hand up to my face, blocking that light as I attempted to force my eyes open.

With my eyes still closed, I became aware of the sniffles I heard beside me and a warmth that seemed to be inside of my chest. Whoever it was did not seem to be aware of my movement even when I put my arm back down to my side.

I opened my eyes to a squint and looked over to the bedside. There was a familiar girl sitting in a wooden chair by the bed. Her arms were stretched out with her elbows rested on the bed. Her hands hovered above my chest. Her head was down, resting on her arms. I could only see the brown heap of messy hair. From her hands came a glow, although I did not feel any effects from the magic.

Behind her was a window. The curtains of the window were pulled back revealing the morning sun and a bright, clear blue sky. If this were home, it would have been beautiful. Unfortunately, the barren landscape did nothing for the gorgeous sky above it.  

I took in a breath as I sat up, resting on my elbows which were propped up behind me. The girl sat up instantly. After squinting at her for a minute I realized, “Elaine.” I mumbled through my grogginess that was slow to clear from my mind. Her eyes were wide with surprise, her mouth slightly agape. Her bright pink cheeks were slightly wet underneath her red swollen eyes.

I attempted to sit up further, but was stopped by two hands on my shoulders. “You should rest. Your mother said you would need a lot of rest after everything that has happened.”

I gently pushed her hands away and sat up in the bed. “I’m okay, Essatri just worries too much.” I looked around the room. It was empty except for Moreliss sleeping on the couch. He had a piece of clothing covering his face, his arms crossed, and his feet were propped up on the opposite end’s arm. He was still dressed like before and even still had his shoes on. “How are you feeling?” I peeled my eyes from the sleeping man and looked at a distressed Elaine.

“I’m fine! Good as new!” She hopped up out of her chair to show me that she was fine. “See? It’s you who should be resting.”

I shook my head and attempted to get out of the bed. Elaine helped me, grabbing my arm as I stood up and using all of her own strength to get me on my feet. However, my legs moved out from under me and even my eyes began to fail. A darkness consumed my vision for a long moment and I fell as a dizziness began to spin my head in circles.

“Please…” As she spoke I could hear the sadness in her voice. It was almost as if she were desperate. “Rest…I can’t bear the thought-” she stopped, choking on the sentence. “I did all I could, but I’m not skilled enough. I can’t - I couldn’t help.” I heard her begin to cry again. “You risked everything to save me. A person who had done nothing but hurt you.” I watched her, my vision beginning to clear up. I could tell she was shaking her head. “I couldn’t bear the thought of you dying because of me.”

I took Elaine’s hand and squeezed it, smiling up at her. It was an attempt to comfort her. “There’s nothing you can do for me. No one can.” I smiled at her, standing up so I could be a bit more eye level with her - I was only a few inches taller than her. “It is the price I pay to save someone’s life and I would do it again in a heartbeat.” Almost instantly she was wrapping her arms around me in a hug, her sobs returning.

After she had calmed down, she stepped back. Her face was set, a slight frown was plastered on her face, a determined look shined in her eyes. Her fists were clenched in a fist for a brief moment before she was falling to the floor. I jumped for a moment to catch her, confused by the sudden action. She knelt down on the ground in front of me. I panicked, still confused, first pulling her and then trying to leave from embarrassment. Unable to leave as I didn’t want to embarrass her, I stood awkwardly in front of her. She was kneeling down as if she were kneeling to a king with her head down. "I swear my allegiance to you. From this day forward I will protect you from anything that may cause you harm."

“Wh-What?” I stumbled over the words. I didn’t know what to say. “I-You-Why-” I took a deep breath to calm myself before speaking any further. “Y-you don’t have to do that. Why would you?” My face burned. I wanted to run.

“You saved my life and in return I will save yours until you are in no need of me.” She stood and stared me in the eyes. “Even if its to my death.”

“What?! No!” I shook my head, feeling terrible about the situation. “Elaine!” I called to her as she began to leave.

“You almost died saving me!” She spun around, yelling at me. “If you can risk your life to save someone then why can’t I?!”

I stood wide eyed and shocked by the outburst. I steadied myself, slowing my breathing as I prepared my response. “Fine…Okay…Just not to the death. That’s a little dramatic.”

Elaine smiled, laughing lightly, “I guess you’re right.” We both laughed together before a happy silence filled the room. I would have never guessed I would have made a friend. And it was even with a human.

“So…let me get this straight.” A deep voice filled the silence. We looked over at the source and saw Moreliss sitting up glaring at Elaine. The cloth that covered his face sat beside him. “The round-ear criticizes you, makes fun of you, and possibly even more than that before I met you, and you just accept her?” Moreliss’s eyes flashed to me. “She apologizes once and everything’s sunshine and rainbows.”

“Everyone deserves a second chance.” I glanced around, feeling ashamed under his intense glare.

“Round-ear had plenty of chances to change her ways.” He glared at Elaine again. “I suggest you drop her. Humans are filthy creatures. None of them can be trusted.”

“I’m giving her a chance to prove herself.” I stood my ground, mustering up whatever courage I could and glared back at the Moreliss.

“I don’t know if you’re naive or just ignorant.” Moreliss stood up and approached Elaine. They both stared at each other in anger. Moreliss, however, probably looked the meanest. His eyebrows were furrowed deeply, his eyes squinting in anger, and his mouth set in a scowl. It was almost as if he even hated breathing the same air she did. Elaine never let up. She continued to meet his gaze evenly. I couldn’t even tell if she was afraid or not. “I’ll give you one warning. You harm a hair on her head and it’ll be the last thing you’ll ever do. Got it?”

Elaine didn’t respond nor did Moreliss wait for one. I figured he expected her to obey him. Moreliss left the room and slammed the door shut, causing me to flinch. Elaine and I looked at each other. She almost looked relieved that he was gone. “I’m going to head out and get ready. We’re leaving soon right?”

“Yeah, I’ll meet you out there.” She waved and left the room. I turned and looked at the empty silent room.

Silence. It was something I hadn’t heard for a while. For the past week I’ve heard nothing but the murmur of voices, the squeaking of carts, clanging metal, animal noises, bugs, snickers from the humans, and more. The silence was now almost like a ringing in my ear. It was almost painful to hear. Part of me wanted to go back out and fill the silence.

I stood in the room for a moment, unsure what to do with myself. I was alone. It was something that I didn’t know I wanted. I had been cramped up for so long with others staring at me. It was nice to relax.

After walking into the restroom I stared into my reflection. Dirt covered my face, my blonde hair was matted and filthy, my clothes were torn and had blood on them. I had looked like this when I met that man. I looked like this when I made friends with Elaine. I banged my head on the mirror. That was great. Fantastic.

As I was beating my head on the mirror, ashamed about my appearance, I noticed some clean clothes laying on a counter. I picked them up and examined them. It was a pair of thin pants, a thin strapped shirt, and a hooded shawl. Looking around, I noticed even the bathtub was filled with water. I undressed quickly and slipped in the warm water.

My mind raced back to the last time I had a bath. It was around the day I had gotten kidnapped. I sighed as my mind went to Luthais. Was he okay? I wasn’t even sure if he survived. It was entirely possible that he didn’t. I didn’t get to look at his injuries before I was taken away. I wasn’t even sure if he was looking for me.

I wasn’t sure about anything anymore. Andrdei betrayed me. He hired someone to kill me and instead they kidnapped me. He may even be hiding more than that. Was Essatri on his side? She has always been loyal to him. There’s no telling how loyal though.

I ducked my head under the water to clear my thoughts. I stayed under until it was absolutely necessary for me to go up and get air. My mind was a terrible thing. I thought of the most ridiculous things and somehow believed them. Kazumi was Essatri. She raised me for years on her own. She’s taken up for me so many times. There’s absolutely no way she would ever pick Andrdei over her daughter.

I washed, dried, and got dressed. I was clean with clean clothes - for now anyway. The clothes I was given looked a bit odd. The pants didn’t feel durable enough to last a day, and the shirt was so small I was glad I had the shawl to go over my shoulders. As I looked down at the pants, stretching them and testing their durability, I noticed some boots placed on the floor. I picked them up. They looked pretty durable and good for travel. I slipped them on my feet and tied them. They fit perfectly and were comfortable. “Did Essatri get these?” I mumbled to myself.

Ess-” I began as I exited our room, but was interrupted as Moreliss was leaning against the wall across the hallway. He pushed off of the wall as I walked out of the room and examined me.

“Good, they fit.”

“You bought these?” My surprise was shown in my voice as I asked the question.

“Of course. You think anyone else here has the money to afford those clothes?” Moreliss let out a short laugh. “Is your mom going to trade something for clothes?” Moreliss shook his head. “Sorry, but that’s not how it works here.”

“Oh, well, thanks. I appreciate it.” I smiled at Moreliss, seeming to surprise him. He turned to walk down the hallway.

“Yeah…Take care of the boots. They were expensive.” He strolled down the hallway with me behind him.

“What do you plan on doing?”

Moreliss looked sideways at me before answering. “There’s no way I’m leaving you with that human so I guess I’m going with you.”

I counted up the group in my head. It would be Essatri, Elaine, Moreliss, and I plus the men Essatri had brought along with her. “Big groups are always fun.” I smiled, looking ahead and the room full of people. Essatri and Elaine sat at a table talking to each other while the warrior men Essatri brought stood around the entrance glaring at everyone. Elaine looked like she had cleaned herself up and wore a fresh set of clothes.

Moreliss and I approached the table where they sat, which halted their conversation. “You two finally ready?” Kazumi glanced towards Moreliss and then turned her attention towards me. “You look better. How do you feel?”

“Like I could eat an entire buffet.” I gave a big smile as Kazumi laughed and slid a plate over towards me.

“The day you eat an entire buffet is when I take you to see a doctor.” She motioned towards the plate. “Eat.” I ate about half of what was on the plate before pushing it away and leaning back in the chair. “See?”

“Why don’t you just get her child meals?” Moreliss leaned on the table with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Kazumi smiled, “That would definitely save money. I’ll remember that next time.”

“I’m eighteen, Essatri!

“An eighteen year-old that eats like a six year old.” Kazumi laughed as I glared at her. There was no way she was just going to make a fool of me like this.

“Okay, we need to get going. Its already almost noon. We have a long trip ahead.” Kazumi smiled, rising from the chair before the others. I was the last out of the inn. We exited the city by a boat that was prepared by Kazumi. We would spend half of the day on boat and the rest walking.

We did spend half of the day on the boat. We docked just outside of a forest. The dock was in a small village where we stocked up on supplies and made our separate ways from the other humans we saved from slavery. We exchanged goodbyes and I wished the cripple one good luck. I genuinely hoped he made it home safely to his family. Elaine spoke with them separately, exchanging something with them. It was odd but none of my business.

We bought food and drink for the trip then set off down the dirt path. The dirt path trailed through the village and made a small path through the forest. The forest was pretty normal. Various trees of different sizes, animals scurried, bugs buzzed, and flowers were scattered around the area.

It was evening by the time we set out into the forest. Soon we would have to make camp. There was also wood we would have to gather for a fire. I glanced at Essatri. She didn’t seem all too worried. She walked ahead of the group while the warrior men walked behind us. Moreliss was behind me while Elaine walked beside me. I don’t think anything is going to be touching me. I would be surprised if a fly would as much as land on me.

We had been walking for about an hour when we heard clanging. Kazumi stopped, halting everyone with a raise of her hand. I peered in front of us. There was two men ahead. They were in battle. One of them was older, silver hair, a few wrinkles, dark clothing, and a large sword. The other one was younger. He wore a loose tunic with pants and boots. There was a belt around his waist. It had a couple of pouches and a sheath hanging from his belt, resting on his leg.

Both of them were damp with sweat. It looked as if they had been in battle for a long time. Beside them stood a red head, hand on his sword, ready to jump out whenever he was needed. The guy looked familiar to me, long red hair that was up in a pony tail. Familiar everyday clothes, muscles that seemed like I had almost seen them every day. I squinted trying to focus the blurriness that came with the distance. “Luthais!!” I shouted, realizing who it was I was so focused on. He jumped out of his skin, his head whipping around toward us. The two that were battling did the same. All of them looked straight at me while Kazumi glared back at me.

I saw the relief ripple out of him as soon as he laid eyes on me. Without thinking, he ran towards me and swooped me up in a hug. He hugged me almost too tightly, squeezing all of the air out of me as he spun me around. “I’m so glad you’re okay,” I heard him say in my ear before he placed me on the ground. “How did you--”

A short yell interrupted his question. He spun around to see the older man stab the younger one deeply in the chest. The younger one staggered backwards before falling on the ground. “Kaldar!” Luthais shouted running to his side. I followed him to examine his wound.

“Looks like my prize came to me.” I looked up at the older man who was staring at me as if he had just found a treasure chest full of gold. “Come with me quietly and I’ll-”

Kazumi moved in between us. “Over my dead body.” Kazumi picked up Kaldar’s sword and began to battle the old man.

“Well, well, well look who we have here.” He smirked at Kazumi. “The traitor herself.”

Essatri,” I spoke to her, “Please be careful.”

Essatri!” He laughed, “The traitor adopted the-”

“Shut up!” Kazumi interrupted him. “You know nothing.”

“Oh, I know everything.” He began pacing around Kazumi, “I know who attacked Eilien, I know why they attacked Eilien, I even know who killed that boys father.” He motioned towards the man laying on the ground. “The rest…” He smirked at us, “I won’t reveal.”

“Merethyl, I want you to run away from here as fast as you can. I’ll hold him here and-”

“She’s not going anywhere!” He ran at me, swinging his sword full force. Kazumi blocked the attacks, but just barely. I got the feeling she didn’t get the training this man did.

Finally, I looked down at the man below me. I could tell he was getting weaker, blood was oozing out and pooling beneath him. His red eyes never left my face as I examined the wound. Without delaying any further, I placed my hands over him and began the same process for the third time.

At this rate I would pass out for days on end.

The healing was quicker this time. The light flowed from my hands, oozing over and around the wound. The ground beneath him even began to spring with life. The man, however, was different than anyone else I had done this to before. The healing was quicker, as if he accepted the energy better than anyone. Within moments his wound was sealed without as much as a scratch left.

I could still hear the clanging of swords behind me. Every now and then Kazumi would grunt. She was hurt, in pain, I could tell just from the noises I heard. Worry coursed through me as I finished healing the man.

I put my hands down, feeling tired, but not as worn out as I had expected. Kaldar sat up and smiled at me. “Thanks, Merethyl.” I stared at the man. His long black hair covered one of his red eyes. The red eyes almost seemed to pierce through Merethyl, but they weren’t frightening.

“M-Master…” Moreliss stopped a few feet behind me. The old man looked over at Moreliss and smiled.

“Well look who it is. Help me take care of these pest, would ya?”

Moreliss shook his head, “I don’t understand…”

“Don’t ask questions and grab her.” He gestured towards me. I looked back at Moreliss.

I met his eyes. I could tell how hurt he was just by looking in them. Something told me he knew this didn’t feel right. “Moreliss, I wouldn’t blame you if--”

“He’s not touching you,” suddenly Kaldar was serious, standing between Moreliss and I. He had no weapon, but he looked ready to give his life to save me. Moreliss barely noticed the man. His eyes were planted on his master, speechless.

“Master, I don’t understand. Why would you need her?”

“Have you not seen what she can do? We need that power.”

“She could die!”

“And?” In anger, Kazumi ran towards the old man, the sword up and ready to swing while the man wasn’t paying attention. Kazumi swung, but the old man spun out of the way. The sword hit the ground, digging into the dirt. Before she could recover the man turned and dug his sword deep into her side. Pushing it even further, he dug it into through her until it stuck through the opposite side.

Essatri!!” I jumped up from my spot and attempted to run towards Kazumi. Tears streamed down my face as I watched blood spew from her mouth and sides. He yanked the sword out causing her to scream in agony. Her face twisted in pain before she collapsed to the ground. “Mooom!” The hands that held me back were Moreliss’s hands. Elaine was beside me, her hands over her mouth and tears in her eyes as she stared at the horror in front of her.

Kaldar stared at the man in anger. He yanked the sword from Luthais’s side and charged at him. The clash of metal on metal happened in the background of my mind. My ears rang as I watched my mother die in front of me. The sight of the blood scarred my mind as I stared at it pool around her body. The color left her face, the life leaving her eyes. Her previously tan skin turned paler as the blood left her body. The pool of blood gradually growing, emptying all life from her body.

I struggled harder, tears pouring from my eyes. “Let me go! I have to save her!” An anger and hatred I had never felt rose in my chest as I thought about the man holding me back from saving my mother. I could save her. I could and wanted to even if it cost my life. Finally I slipped from his grip and was almost instantly by her side.

Essatri,” I pulled her head into my lap. Tears stained her blood splattered face. Her eyes weakly peered up at me. “Essatri, I can save you too. I can heal you. I can-” Sobs escaped my lips as her head weakly began to shake. “Please, Essatri, I can’t do this without you. I need you. You’re my mom. You’re my-” Uncontrollable sobs escaped my lips, tears falling from my eyes as the life left my mother. I saw it physically leave her eyes. The eyes that previously had shined with happiness, worry, sadness all over me were now empty. The face of my mother would eventually leave my mind. I would only have memories. I could no longer see her every day. I couldn’t ask for her help. She could no longer cook me breakfast in the mornings and no more annoying daily reminders. “Mom, please.”

I couldn’t control my power this time. The light instantly left my hands, brighter and stronger than before. I had never felt such a drain of life from healing anyone. It didn’t last long, because soon after I was yanked up by Kaldar. “Are you trying to kill yourself?!” He snapped before he looked into my face. When his eyes landed in mine his face softened. “You can’t…Mourn her, cry, scream, but she would never want you to give your life for her.” When he let me go, I fell into a crying heap on the ground beside Kazumi. 



© 2017 kafrinee


Author's Note

kafrinee
Thanks for reading! Please leave a review :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on November 13, 2017
Last Updated on December 2, 2017
Tags: fantasy, romance, Priestess, Forsaken, healer, magic, ability, darkness, adventure, Priestess of the Forsaken, fighting, goddess, god, angel, death, human, elf, humans, elves, dwarf, dwarves, orcs


Author

kafrinee
kafrinee

About
I'm a college student. I write as a hobby. I'm majoring in music. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by kafrinee


Followed Followed

A Chapter by kafrinee