Since We Don't Know These Characters

Since We Don't Know These Characters

A Story by Kelly James Bonewell

 

They were all I had. When I arrived I was met by a startled look, very clean and apologetic. We were all well-dressed and we headed for the kitchen table. Meanwhile, he tried to get up but I motioned for him not to and I looked things over.  In such cases, I realized that it looked just like something in the advertisement leaflets found in the Sunday papers.

 

So, I tried to see what would happen. We had been having, quite apparently, a spoken thing, something well-said and in best professional manner. At that, I did not allow myself to be hurried, but speaking quietly I moved my chair a little nearer, and then suddenly with one movement fell to the seat. Both the mother and father almost turned themselves inside out; the mother nearly taking her and shaking her by one arm.

 

I broke in. I started by suggesting that they were old enough to understand what I was saying and yet it was entirely up to them. I explained the danger, but also said that I would not insist on all of the responsibility. I had to smile to myself. After all, I had already fallen in love; this, you could easily see. They grew more and more exhausted. The father tried his best; he was a big man and this was his daughter after all. His dread of hurting her made him almost faint. The mother rocked back and forth, lowering her hands to her lap in agony.

 

Finally, I told the mother that we were going through with this. Perhaps I should have desisted and come back in an hour. No doubt it would have been better. But I, in such cases must either now or never do the worst of it. My face was burning. And there it was, such an outcome as this—I thought, didn’t they understand? All this was nothing more than a social necessity.

© 2008 Kelly James Bonewell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on February 12, 2008