My pride is my companion

My pride is my companion

A Poem by god is not great, I am

I have often found myself accused of being somewhat of a prideful individual. Its an accusation that can be hard to form a reaction to. It’s true, there are many aspects of myself that I hold at high value, but am I wrong in doing so? What makes one man more proud than another, and if the pride is backed by ability is it not then validated? I am, myself, a writer, or  rather I consider myself to be. Writing is a talent that is wholly self proclaimed. There is no set standard to be a writer, all that is needed is to believe yourself to be, thus believing you have the talent. So, really, doesn’t that alone require pride almost without exception? Naming yourself a writer then suggests you feel your thoughts important enough to be necessary to record, and even more, find them to be worthy of someone else’s reading and consideration. Seems a bit arrogant, doesn’t it? Without some feeling of self importance, and mental or perhaps emotional superiority, a writer could not exist. 

© 2011 god is not great, I am


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Pride is a two-sided blade. Be careful not to trip over your own thoughts and desires. I learn years ago. I don't desire praise or honor. I write for pleasure. I won many awards. No-one cares except my bookcase above me. Words are tools to teach and motivated. Words are tools to take readers to a better or worst place. I believe biggest honor or alive and dead writers. Is to be read. A interesting poem. Made me think this early morning.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Pride is a two-sided blade. Be careful not to trip over your own thoughts and desires. I learn years ago. I don't desire praise or honor. I write for pleasure. I won many awards. No-one cares except my bookcase above me. Words are tools to teach and motivated. Words are tools to take readers to a better or worst place. I believe biggest honor or alive and dead writers. Is to be read. A interesting poem. Made me think this early morning.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with this entirely. Writing an essay for school shows no self-importance. However, posting writing on a site like this one seems as though we are saying that we are worth the time and attention of others.
However, I suppose the solution to condemnations of arrogance is to keep your writing between yourself and those who share their own work with you. I am reminded of something Carolyn See once said in a literary advice book, and although I cannot stand the author, I understand the sentiment:
"When you start writing on a regular basis, do it unobtrusively, on the sly...write your stuff, hide it, let it stack up."

Posted 12 Years Ago


"A man in love with himself will have no rivals." Perhaps some will confuse pride with arrogance; it can be a very thin line of separation at times. The logic here is reasonable. Metaphorically speaking, we do not breathe because within each moment we consciously feel worthy of living. But still you could argue that by taking each breath we are asserting our right to life. On one point I differ, and that is that I believe writing to be a tool of men, rather than an occupation. Apologize for the ramble. Thought-provoking piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Self-expression...

When I was growing up, I used to say: "I want to be a writer." --and all the while, I was writing; poetry, plays, short stories, songs, film-scripts, and on & on. I realized at some point that I was waiting to be published in order to somehow validate that I was what I already was. I stepped back and realized, ya know, whether anyone pays me to write or not, I AM a writer.

Now that I'm writing a book for a publisher, who discovered the first book I self-published, I understand that it's because I always was a writer that such a thing could occur. Which is just to say, I agree with your sentiment....

Be who you are, without permission from anyone but who you are.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You make a strong point, and this is a focus and belief of many writers. For myself though, I would have to disagree entirely. I do not write with any semblance or belief that my writings are good. I write for one main reason, and that being that it is true. My poetry is my truth, and each piece makes up a small part of me, and I don't care whether or not it is good. My main purpose is in putting it out in the open is to maybe, hopefully, assure someone that they are not alone.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

truly said ! an applause for those words! everyone cannot write even if they wish too.writing requires the deepest of thinking!and unless one considers himself valuable and important,one can't move forward :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 6, 2011
Last Updated on December 6, 2011

Author

god is not great, I am
god is not great, I am

Chattanooga, TN



About
No God. No food. No sleep. That’s all you really need to know about me. Atheist, Anorexic, insomniac. I am sure we have very little in common. Another note: My favorite writer ever- Charl.. more..

Writing