One Lonesome Tree

One Lonesome Tree

A Story by southernguy
"

i wrote this story as a birthday present for a special friend. i think it would be cool if it was illustrated but i cant draw..lol

"

    Once upon a time there was a young tree that lived in the midst of a garden. The garden was beautiful. Like all other gardens, this garden had many different flowers, plants, herbs and animals. At first glance it may seem that this garden wasn’t much different from the other gardens of the world, but if close inspection was given there would be seen one difference; this garden contained only one lonesome tree.
    As a sapling the tree was vibrant and gave no thought to the fact it was alone because all the other flowers, plants, herbs and animals were his friends. The others took very good care of the sapling and saw it as their responsibility to keep watch over this lone tree. Every day each of the other species in the garden would play, talk, laugh, and relax with the young sapling.
    As the young sapling grew into a mature tree it began to notice it’s own changes. No longer was he a few inches or feet tall but he was taller than all the other flowers, plants, herbs, and animals in the garden. He also noticed that he was wider and stronger than the others in the garden as well. Realizing what all the other flowers, plants, herbs and animals did for him as a sapling, he realized now that he could give back to them for the care they had given him. He realized that his differences could be used for their benefit. This delighted Tree and filled him with purpose. He began to be a home for the birds of the garden. Tree saw many young nestlings grow up and have their own families in his branches. He began to be shade for the many other animals. At any time during the day or night, Tree would have many different animals, like dogs, cows, horses, sheep, all nestled under his branches as a way of relief from the hard work and play of the day. For the flowers, plants, and herbs Tree became a place of protection from storms of the year. All of this made Tree very proud. He felt as though he was giving back all that had been given to him.
    One day as Tree was looking down at the flowers around him, he became very fond of a beautiful Daffodil. Tree had never felt anything like this and wasn’t sure what it meant. Having never felt anything like this before, he became somewhat nervous anytime he noticed the beautiful daffodil staring up at him. So nervous he would shake and the birds would have to calm him down, lest they lost their homes. Not knowing what to do Tree asked the advice of the oldest bird who lived on his branches.
    “You must tell her how you feel.” said the Old Bird.
    “I’m not sure what this feeling is called.” said Tree.
    The Old Bird laughed, “Why I think you love Daffodil.”
    “Love? I don’t even know what love is.” replied Tree.
    Old Bird scratched his head with his left wing, “Sure you do. Love is what you     have been doing everyday in this garden.”

    Tree thought about this for a few days trying to understand what Old Bird had said to him. Tree decided that Old Bird was right, even though he may not know what love is, he still needed to tell Daffodil his feelings. It was at that moment Tree thought of something he had never thought of before: what if Daffodil did not love him? Then what?
    Afraid of the thought that Daffodil may not love him back, Tree kept his feelings to himself. Then one day a mighty wind blew through the garden. Tree looked down at Daffodil and saw her fear. Tree tried to do everything he could to protect her from the wind but Daffodil was too fragile. That day Daffodil was gone and Tree was so sad. He regretted that he had never told her how he felt and now she was gone. He would never have that chance back and Tree’s branches hung low.
    Old Bird tapped Tree with his beak.
    “What?” asked Tree.
    “There is nothing you can do about it now.” said Old Bird.
    “But why?” Tree pleaded.
    “Because it is in the past. You can’t change the past, so you must learn from it.”
    “But what is there to learn old friend?”
    “Live in a way that you will have no regrets!”

    A few years later Tree met a sweet Lilly. Tree felt the same rush he felt when he first saw Daffodil. At first he was nervous much like before but with time he had learned to overcome his shyness. Everyday Tree and Lilly would talk. They talked about everything under the sun. Lilly told him of the many places she had lived and he told her of his many friends.
    One night while pondering all that they had talked about over the past few months Tree decided that he must tell Lilly his feelings. When the new day came Tree looked down to find Lilly gone. Tree panicked and began to ask all the other flowers, plants, herbs and animals if they knew the whereabouts of Lilly. No one knew a thing. At that moment Tree felt a tap on one of his branches. He looked to see a messenger pigeon resting on one of his mid-branches.
    “I have a message for you.” said the pigeon, then handing Tree a letter.

    Dear Tree,
        I am sorry but I had to leave. I want you to know that I think you are wonderful and loved talking to you. I want you to know it was nothing you did but I got scared. You must understand that I have strong feelings for you but now is not the time. I’m not sure if you have feelings for me, though I feel you do, but please understand I just can’t.”
    Love,
    Lilly

    Tree had no idea what to do. All the flowers, plants, herbs, and animals tried to console him but they knew a heavy heart was hard to comfort. Tree’s friend Old Bird decided he needed to talk to the messenger pigeon. When Old Bird was done talking to the messenger pigeon he flew back and tapped on Tree.
    “I know you don’t feel like talking but I thought you might want to know where she ran off to.”
    “But what am I to do?” asked Tree
    Old Bird looked at him, “Remember what you learned last time.”

    The next day Tree did something he had never done before: he left the comfort of the only garden he had known. Old Bird had refused to let him go alone because he knew that it was always good to have a friend around. They travelled over valley, creeks, fields, and rivers to get to the garden to which Lilly had moved. Tree saw things he had never seen before. Experienced places he could have never experienced in the garden.
    When they arrived at the garden where Lilly had moved, all the other flowers, plants, herbs and animals couldn’t help but notice the new tree. Tree asked if any of them knew of Lilly.
    “Where may I find her?” asked Tree.
    One gentle dog stepped forward and whispered into Tree’s bark. He whispered so softly that Old Bird couldn’t even hear him. When the dog was finished he rubbed up against Tree to let him know he was sorry.
    Tree looked around for a little while at the beauty and uniqueness of this different garden. He talked to a few of the animals but he never mentioned Lilly. After a couple of days Tree decided it was time to go back home. On their way home Old Bird never said a word. All Old Bird could do was hope that Tree had no regrets.
    Later on when they got back home to their garden Old Bird and Tree stayed up later than the others.
    “Old friend, I want to thank you for going with me.” said Tree.
    “Are you ok?” Old Bird asked.
    “Yes. I have no regrets.”
    Then they both fell asleep.

    Over the next few months Tree shared with the rest of the garden all that he and Old Bird had done and seen. Some of these things other animals had seen and done as well but for the rest of the garden it was interesting to hear of the other gardens and places. Many times Tree was asked if he liked the other garden, valley, or fields better and he always said no. Then one purple iris asked him what was different about the other gardens, valleys, or fields. Tree thought about this and something struck him odd that he had never thought about before.
    “All the other gardens, valleys, and fields had more than one tree.” he replied.
    With this realization Tree grew sad and lonely. He began to notice more than ever that every flower, plant, herb, and animal had a special companion. Yes, Tree had felt something for Daffodil and Lilly, but none of those feelings ever became anything. Tree tried not to let himself be sad but it was hard. With everyday that passed he wanted to find love more and more.
    “Love is patient, my friend.” said Old Bird.
    So Tree decided he would wait. He wasn’t sure what it was he was waiting on but he was sure that when he felt it he would know. Waiting was difficult at times for Tree. Any time it got difficult his friend Old Bird would remind him, “you have to believe.”
    One day Tree was looking around and realized that he could see things that were far away because he was so tall. He could see things that were outside of his garden and in other gardens. During his looking around he saw something in the distance that caught his eyes.
    She was standing in the garden a few gardens to the east of him. Tree had never seen such beauty. She stood out above all the other flowers, plants, herbs, trees and animals. She wore beautiful white four part flowers, and against the backdrop of the blue sky she looked like an angel.
    Old bird was the first one Tree told about her. Old bird immediately flew to the top of Tree’s trunk and looked out to the east. Even Old Bird was struck by her beauty.
    “You’re right, she does look like an angel. What are you going to do?”
    “I’m gonna be patient and believe.”

    A couple of days later a messenger pigeon landed on one of the tree’s limbs. It was a message from her.

    Dear Tree,
        I was wondering if you would like to be friends?
    Sincerely,
    Dogwood

    That is how it began. A simple message requesting friendship. Tree’s answer was obviously yes. They messaged back and forth many times a day. It got to the point that neither could go a day without talking to the other. They both seemed reserved at first but there is nothing reserved about love. They both knew they loved one another before they even met. They knew they were the other half of the other.
    One evening with a sense of confidence and determination, Dogwood left her own garden and went to see Tree in his garden. The moment they saw one another trunk to trunk was magical. It was something that he couldn’t explain; it was just perfect. From that day on Tree was no longer a lonesome tree without a companion.
     A year and few months later Tree was getting ready to move to Dogwood’s garden to start their life together when Old Bird flew down to a limb to look into Tree’s brown eyes.
    “So, old friend, did you figure out what love is?” asked Old Bird.
    Tree smiled, “yes old friend I did. Love is having no regrets with the other person, willing to wait forever to see or be with that other person, believing in that other person and they believing in you, two individuals sharing the same heart and soul, and the person that gives reason to your past. That my old friend is love.”
 

© 2008 southernguy


Author's Note

southernguy
any ideas? honest opinion

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on June 30, 2008