To Jaycee Dugard

To Jaycee Dugard

A Story by Miranda
"

From me to Jaycee Dugard.

"

      October 9, 2014

Dear Ms. Dugard,

Your biography A Stolen Life changed the way I feel about my life. Until I read your book, I spent a majority of my time filled with negative thoughts and feelings. I always felt like I was alone and that nobody could understand how I felt.

I have cleft lip/palate due to a birth defect known as Amniotic Band Syndrome. This defect has caused me many problems throughout my life. I was bullied, and I have had multiple surgeries; but what I have been through doesn’t even compare to what you have went through in your life.

 You were kidnapped at the age of 11 and never saw the light of day until the age of 18. You had to go so many years without any of your family and I have had my family with me through everything. Your work has made me feel so grateful about my family and what I have been through. I know your work has changed the way I look at life because whenever I am feeling gloomy about the things that have went wrong throughout my lifetime, I just think back to everything you have been through.

I used to always wish I lived someone else’s life, but not anymore. I am proud of who I am; I am so thankful for my family and all of the obstacles I have had to overcome. It has made me who I am today. A year ago I would never want to leave the house, and when I did leave the house I was too scared of what people would say.  I would cover my face with my hands hoping no one would see what I looked like, but now I want to go everywhere. Not a day has passed that I have hid my face with my hand.

 I am now in a public school after being homeschooled for over two years. I wanted to be homeschooled because I was afraid of the bullying I would be subjecting myself to in a public school. When I read your book, I realized how lucky I really was to have the opportunity to go to high school. Reading how you were self-taught in your kidnapper’s backyard and then went on to teach your own children in that same yard, motivated me to get back into a public school. Whenever I’m feeling down about school I think about how fortunate I am and it keeps me motivated.

 I chose your biography A Stolen Life because you drew me in from the first page. I am so inspired and amazed at how strong you are. You taught me some of the greatest lessons in life; to love yourself, to face your obstacles head on and do whatever it takes to overcome them, and to appreciate the love of your family. You also taught me to never give up and to stay strong, no matter what you are going through. You have changed my view on life for the better.

As I mentioned earlier, I was born with a birth defect known as Amniotic Band Syndrome. This defect causes many different physical deformities and it has caused me multiple problems throughout my life. I have had ten reconstructive surgeries, and I have been bullied all of my life by many people. Due to everything that went on in my life I would always wish to be someone else or I would wish to live alone. I didn’t want anyone to see me or have the opportunity to point and whisper. It never dawned on me how lucky I really was until reading your book. You were kidnapped for eight years but you still held on strong until you were free. You went through so much without your family and I have had mine all along. I just didn’t realize exactly how important they were to me until I tried to put myself in your shoes and imagine my life without them. That made me just feel so grateful for my life. Your book made me appreciate my life more than I ever have. It is in large part because of you I am here today writing you this letter.

I just wanted to take the time to write you this letter so that you know how much you have inspired me.

I wish you and your family nothing but the best and I thank you.

 

 Sincerely,

Miranda Altice.

     

© 2014 Miranda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very sweet and genuine letter; I can learn a lot from your attitude. Sometimes it feels that the world can be so harsh, but I should read more biographies even this one perhaps. There is much to learn from the lives of others. My aunts and I are watching a special about her majesty, the queen of England. To be a monarch would be very different for sure is one thing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a very sweet and genuine letter; I can learn a lot from your attitude. Sometimes it feels that the world can be so harsh, but I should read more biographies even this one perhaps. There is much to learn from the lives of others. My aunts and I are watching a special about her majesty, the queen of England. To be a monarch would be very different for sure is one thing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good letter. I believe people learn from each other. Jaycee Dugard book taught a lesson and made your life less painful. I believe she would be content. Thank you for sharing the amazing letter.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

╰☆╮I read her book a couple of years ago and let me tell you, like you said, it really puts life in perspective. ╰☆╮

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am so proud of you, and being able to accept your uniqueness! I read A Stolen Life, and was also immediately filled with the feeling of gratefulness, and changed my perspective on how I live my life!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 16, 2014
Last Updated on October 16, 2014

Author

Miranda
Miranda

About
My name is Miranda, and I am currently living in the United States. I am 15 years old, and I enjoy writing a lot. I would love for everyone to critique my work because I am looking to improve. Thanks... more..

Writing
Edgar Edgar

A Story by Miranda


Edgar Edgar

A Story by Miranda


Peerpressured Peerpressured

A Story by Miranda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


First Kiss First Kiss

A Poem by MsJewel


Destiny? Destiny?

A Poem by MsJewel