Love story

Love story

A Story by Diane

.

The buggy bounced along the hard-packed dirt road as the horse trotted briskly. The covered bridge was coming up. Everyone says Love stories start on this bridge. Abigale and I have been courting for three months. It took me longer than that to work up the courage to ask her to court. Most people consider me brave, but brave I am not when it came to this red-headed beauty.  Abigale is different than any girl in this town. She can hoe a field faster and better than her Pa, and she can cook a meal just like her Ma. She was intimidating, and I was entirely in love with her.


I stopped the buggy in the centre of the bridge. Abigale pulled the white bonnet from her head, and her short curls bounced free.

“Isaiah, it sure is warm out this evening. Thank goodness the sun is setting.”

The sound of her voice was music. I could listen to her talk all day long. I would never get anything done.

“Isaiah, why are you looking at me like that?”

I smiled.
“I look at you the way I do because I am enjoying the beautiful sight before me.”

Abigale shifted in her seat. I think I left her speechless.

I shifted in her direction. My palms are wet with sweat, so I wipe them on my trousers. Now my heart is hammering in my chest, my gut filled with flutters, and my breathing was getting heavier.

“Are you feeling alright Isaiah? Is something wrong? You're scaring me a little.”

I smiled at her worried face and grabbed her and to hold,

“Abigale, my sweet Abby. No, I don’t feel good at all.”

She scooted closer to me, and tilted her head and squinted with concern. She raised her hand to my head and slid it down my face, feeling for fever.

I slid off the bench seat in the little space between the footboard and the bench.

Now Abby’s eyes were showed worried.

“My heart is sick Abby. The only way to cure me is to become my wife.”

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a little ring I saved for since the day I met her.

“Abby, I had loved you long before you knew me……”

Before I could finish my thought, her lips crashed into mine with forcible, and passion. We stayed like that for a long moment.

“Yes,” she whispered.

I leaned my head back to get a look at my bride to be. Tears were falling, but the tears of joy looked good on her.  I slid the ring where it belonged, and I kissed her again.

“Our love story starts here,” Abigale said softly.


© 2018 Diane


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! Your descriptions were really great

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the complement and the review.
loved the story,great images

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

Thank you. Writing prompts are so fun.
 wordman

6 Years Ago

you`re welcome
Woooooooooooowww i adoreeeeee it reallly reallly a nice writing 😍😍😍

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review.
Scandal

6 Years Ago

You are very welcome my dear ❤❤
Sweet story, Diane! I love how Abby worried that Isaiah might be sick. I was wondering if he would have the courage to go on. See, Diane, you can come up with a story from a prompt!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

It was not easy for me. Took about an hour. I enjoyed it though
Excellent. I love the old-fashioned innocence of it. In my mind, this is the very best kind of romance there is. I fear romance these days is cheapened and not nearly as intense as it used to be. I was once like Isaiah, easily flatten by a sweet girl's kiss.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the sweet review. Yes, romance isn't anything like it used to be.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2017
Last Updated on February 18, 2018

Author

Diane
Diane

MI



About
My name is Diane Garner and I live in southeast Michigan with with my husband and two young daughters. I grew up in Gaylord, Michigan, with My mom and brother. I moved to the Detroit area in my late t.. more..

Writing
Quinn's Faith Quinn's Faith

A Story by Diane


Thank You Thank You

A Poem by Diane


Invisible Invisible

A Poem by Diane



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Ghost The Ghost

A Story by Will Neill