When Love Is Lost

When Love Is Lost

A Story by Ashley Campbell
"

June 29th, 2007

"

“I miss you…so much…” She muttered, her voice seeming like a lone wolf’s howl on a moonless night. Haunting and sorrowful as the wind lifted her words into the air of nothingness that surrounded her. She lay over his grave, like the nights before, she came to the graveyard when the night surrendered to the early hours of the morning. It was quiet then, when only the nocturnal animals made their presence known when the occasional obnoxious squeal of a rodent would disturb the silent peace of the grave sites and the night had to offer.

By now, though, she was used to these strange and alerting sounds that she now found to be nothing more than a momentary disturbance in her mourning. Long dark auburn hair sprawled itself across the backside of her body and along the grassy surface of her beloved’s resting place. Long slender fingers tenderly caressing the tiny blades of grass as silently memories flowed through her mind like small waves in a large ocean.

“It was your fault.” She remembered them saying as she had sat and cried silent tears that always went unnoticed. “If you would have just left him alone, he would have been fine.” They had all said it, every one of them, blamed her for his death. It hadn’t been she who pulled the trigger. Emerald green eyes closed tightly to try and push out the memory, but things has horrid as this stayed engraved in the human mind until the day they died. And so she was left to see his face…his form…lying in a pool of the crimson red liquid. Why had it been her? Why had she been given the morbid honor of finding him?

“It wasn’t a suicide…I know it wasn’t, my love.” She whispered as she outlined his name with careful fingertips. “It was some one else who took you from me…” As the words left her lips, she smiled down to the ground in hopes that what was left of him would somehow see her. And as the night drew on, a silent mist slowly set in around her.

© 2008 Ashley Campbell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice prolouge. I loved the similes and metaphors. They give a nice rhythm to the short piece, making it almost poetic. I also love your world choice such as "morbid honor" I think it was nice that we can get a good picture of what went on from the little phrases you put in. This is a worthy piece to be finished. I would like you know if you decide to continue it. Good luck on the prolouge contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 27, 2008

Author

Ashley Campbell
Ashley Campbell

TN



About
Currently I am twenty and am just starting my life as an adult, a writer, and a woman. Throughout my gallery you'll find dark poetry, fan fictions, and short stories, if you read and happen to review .. more..

Writing
Lost Lost

A Poem by Ashley Campbell