MY SECRET

MY SECRET

A Story by nj
"

I thought my familly was blind but i was wrong

"

Mine is a typical Muslim family consisting of my parents, brother, sister and many uncles, aunties and cousins. As my ancestors could not stand the thought of educating girls none of my aunts were educated. Women were so suppressed and repressed in our male dominated community. But I and my cousins were lucky. Society changed and my father ensured all his children were well educated and was strict about it. But still some believed that education will make girls arrogant and they would bring disgrace to the family. Among them was one of my uncles. Even though my father was against such thoughts he never allowed us to do anything other than studying. I and my sister were not allowed to engage in any extracurricular activities. I couldn’t agree with them I always wondered how blind my family was.
My little secret.
I am a member of schools band team. Only my sister knew about this and we hid it from the whole family. My brother was in Delhi. We were good friends but I never told him about the band. Problems began when our band got selected for a state level program. We had to practice a lot and often I came home late. I had to make it before my father reaches home. If he saw me it would be the end. He would never fall for my lies unlike my mother. I couldn’t leave the band nor could I tell my family.
My sisters’ marriage and competition were in the same week. There were always many guests in my home. I had to use the ladder to reach my home unnoticed. I had become an expert in climbing up and sliding to room unnoticed and was proud of my ability to be invisible, literally. One day as usual I climbed the ladder. To my horror I landed up facing my brother and his two best friends. They had come for the wedding. My tongue froze. My sister came in time and told him everything. I begged him to keep the secret. My brother agreed after making me to promise that I would leave the band after the competition. Just then my mom entered and was confused to see me there. She suspected something wrong and we had to tell the truth. She was shocked and scolded me. She was very upset with me. My brother calmed her and assured that I will leave the band after the competition. But to make the matter worse my uncle was at the door and heard everything. He rushed downstairs and said to my father,’your daughter has brought disgrace to the family. You should be ashamed you failed in raising her blah blah blah.
I saw some people from groom’s side among the guest. My head was spinning. I visualized them cancelling the marriage and leaving because bride’s sister had done a big mistake, have mocked the traditions and broke many rules. Suddenly grooms father spoke, ‘my dear all the best for the competition. I looked at him in disbelief. He gave me a big smile and promised me that he will be there to hear our band. My sister is lucky to get a family which was not blind like mine. I was happy for her.
All guests left. My uncle was burning with fury. I was sure that my father would scold me. He came near I waited for a slap. He said. ‘Now you can stop climbing the ladder as your secret is out. Use the front door. If it is late I will come to pick you up.!!!!. Am I dreaming? The truth was that my father knew everything. He had seen me climbing the ladder not once but several times. I asked him if he never had a problem why he never said it before??. He replies. ‘My dear then there will be no fun no adventure. Although he was sad that I never told him what I wanted.
I was ashamed of myself. I could never understand my father. He was watching out for me all this time. That day I realized no matter what others say our parents will always be with us.

© 2018 nj


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on January 13, 2018
Last Updated on January 13, 2018
Tags: #nj

Author

nj
nj

India



Writing