In Your Arms

In Your Arms

A Story by Rachel Roth
"

It was my competition essay for the Royal Commonwealth society. Now that the due date's past. I'm posting it here for the public.I chose the topic 'We're a good partnership you and I'. Please comment.

"

 

“Aah! Put  me  down!” I screamed. Jason, my  partner  put  me  down  with  an  annoyed  expression  on  his  face. “What’s  wrong?” My  dance  teacher, Miss  Abby  asked, stopping  the  music  and  coming  over. “I’m  sorry! I’m  sorry!” I  said  sadly. Well  built  with  bulging  muscles on  his  arms, Jason  was  the  person  who  was  least  likely  to  drop  me. However,  he  was  a  hip-hop  dancer  who  had  never  lifted  a  girl  in  his  life. At  the  age  of  16, I  was  a  contemporary  dancer  who  had  never  danced  with  a  partner  my  whole  life  and  I  had  to  face  it,  the  tricks  that  our  dance  teacher  had  given  us  were  dangerous  for  dancers, especially  new  partners  like  Jason  and  I. “What’s  wrong  with  you?” Jason  asked  me  when  our  teacher  gave  us  a  break. “Isn’t  it  obvious, you’re  a  hip-hop  dancer. No  offense,  but  hip-hop  dancers  don’t  lift  girls.” I  said  annoyingly. “So?” He  asked. “So, I’m  scared  you’ll drop  me, don’t  you  get  that?” I  said  as  Miss  Abby  came  back  to  us. She  looked  at  us  as  we  exchanged  angry  glances.

 

It  was  then  Miss  Abby  pulled  me  aside. “Listen, I  know  you’re  scared  but  can  you  please  get  yourself  together? We  don’t  have  much  time  left. Competition’s  next  week  and  if  you  can’t  work  together, I’ll  have  to  pull your  dance  out  of  the  competition.” She  said  as  I  gasped  at  the  fright  of  being  pulled  out  of  a  competition. “Alright, I’ll  try.” I  said,  determined  as  Miss  Abby  turned  on  the  music  again. I  started  again,  slowly,  very  nervous  that  Jason  was  going  to  drop  me  but  as  the  music  continued, I  allowed  myself  to  get  lost  in  the  music. Everything  was  easier  after  that. I  did  a  grand jeté, pirouetted  and  did  arabesques  with  the  help  of  Jason. When  we  came  to  the  last  part  of  the  dance  however, when  Jason  was  supposed  to  throw  me  up, I  screamed  as  he  got  ready  to  do  the  throw. “What  now!” He  scolded. Miss  Abby  came  over  looking  disappointed. “I’m  sorry  but  if  you  two  can’t  learn  to  trust  each  other, I’m  pulling  you  out  of  the  competition.” She  said. We  sighed  and  walked  out  sadly.

 

“Look  what  you’ve  done! Now  we’re  out  of  the  competition!” Jason  said,  angrily  pacing. On  the  bench, I  sat  down  sadly  while  Jason  ranted. ‘What  have  I  done?’ I  thought  sadly. ‘I’ve  lost  my  only  chance  to  dance  with  a  partner  that’s  what.’ Tears  came  streaming  down  my  eyes  as  I  thought  about  what  I  had  done. I  started  sobbing  quietly  and  Jason  stopped  pacing  and  ranting. He  came  over  to  me. “Hey.....It’s  okay. You’ve  tried  your  best.” He  said  comfortingly  as  he  pulled  me  closer  to  his  chest. “I...I....I’ve  ru...ru....ruined  everything!” I  said  in  the  midst  of  sobs. “Well, I  can’t  say  I  disagree with  you  but  you  know,  there’s  still  time.” He  said. “No  there  isn’t. The  competition’s  next  week!” I  cried. “Okay. It’s  clear  you  don’t  trust  me and  I  don’t  trust  you  but  can  we  just  work  hard  and  win   this  competition? Then  we’ll  never  have  to  see  each  other  again.” He  said. I  stopped  crying  and  sat  up. “Deal.” I  said.

 

The  next  week  was  the  hardest  in  my  life. Every day, after  school,  Jason  and  I  walked  over  to  our  dance  studio  and  practiced  till  the  dance  studio  closed  for  the  night. Every  morning, I  would  wake  up  at  five  o’clock  to  practice  at  Jason’s  house. It  was  difficult  for  the  first  few  days  as  I  still  did  not  trust  Jason. However,  over  the  week, Jason  proved  to  be  a  better  partner  than  I  thought. He  encouraged  and  motivated  me  throughout  the  week  and  soon I  fully  trusted  him.

 

We  were  about  to  leave  for  the  competition  when  Miss  Abby  turned  to  us. “What  are you  two  doing  here? You’re  not  dancing  this  week.” She  said  curiously. “Miss  Abby,  we’re  ready.” Jason  said. “You  gave  us  a  routine to  learn  and  we’ve  learned  it. Now,  we  intend  to  go  through  with  it, whether  you’ll  allow  us  or  not.” I  said,  clutching  Jason’s  hand  tightly. A  smile  slowly  made  its  way  to  her  mouth. “Alright. But  don’t  disappoint  me.” She  said. We  got  onto  the  bus  and  made  our  way  to  the  competition.

 

Standing  there,  in  my  nightgown  costume, I  felt  butterflies  creep  into  my  stomach. I  breathed  slowly,  trying  to  calm  myself. This  was  the  first  time  I  had  felt  nervous. Jason  must  have  noticed  my  expression  as  he  took  my  hand. I  let  myself  be  relaxed  but  then  my  thoughts  went  back  to  the  fact  that  he  was  a  hip-hop  dancer  and  had  never  done  this. I  started  to  hyperventilate. “I  can’t  do  this.” I  said  finally. “Yes,  you  can.” Jason  said. “I don’t  know  if  you  know  this  but  you’re  a  great  dancer. Trust  me, I’ve  watched  and  you  always  look  so  relaxed  out  there. You  were  born  to  do  this, Onyx. I  know  you  are.” He  said. “Next  we  have  number  22, Onyx  and  Jason  performing  ‘A  Fairytale  Dream’.” The  announcer  announced  and  I  took  a  deep  breath  and  allowed  Jason  to  lead  me  out.

 

The  music  played  and  immediately, the  butterflies  in  my  stomach  went  away. Instead, my  mind  went  to  the  soft  flowing  of  the  music. As  I  started  my  first  steps, my  mind  flitted  to  how  much  I  had  gotten  to  know  Jason  over  the  week. How  much  I  trusted  him  now  and  especially  how  much  he  had  comforted  me  over  the  week  when  I  was  tense. As  the  last  notes  of  the  music  played. I  prepared  myself  for  the  big  throw. When  the  time  came,  without  hesitation, I  flung  myself  onto  Jason  and  he  threw  me  up. I  heard  the  crowd  gasp  as  I  performed  a  perfect  back flip, then, bringing  my  right  leg  up  to  my  side, performed  a  bow  and   arrow  as  the  other  leg  lands  on  top  of  Jason’s  head  and  he  balances  me. Then  at  last,  I  put  my  right  leg  down  and  fell  into  Jason’s  arms. At  first,  the  crowd  was  silent,  then  a  moment  later,  someone  stood  up  and  started  clapping  followed  by  a  row  in  the  audience. Soon,  everyone  was  standing  and  clapping,  we  had  gotten  a  standing  ovation! We  then  took  a  bow  and  exited  the  stage,  grinning.

   

“Wow! Great  job  out  there!” Jason  said  happily. “Thanks, you too.” I  replied. “Yeah  thanks, you’re  really  talented.” He  answered  back. “I  feel  the  same  way  about  you. But  you  know, I  couldn’t  have  done  it  without  your  motivation.” I  said. He  stared  into  space  for  a  second,  probably  considering  what  I  just  said. “Well I  couldn’t  have  done  it  without  your  skills.” He  said. I  smiled  and  considered  our  whole  journey  here  and  suddenly  I  realised  something.  Throughout  our  whole  experience, I  would’ve  never  thought  Jason  and  I  could  get  along  but  look  at  us  now! Here  we  were  complimenting  each  other  as  if  we  had  been  partners  for  years. “We’re  a  great  partnership, you  and  I” I  burst  out  excitedly. Jason  looked  shock  for  a  moment  but  then  a  look  of  utter  happiness  crossed  his  face. “Yeah  we  are!” He  agreed  and  then  a  look  of  regret  crossed  his  face. “Listen, when  you  and  I  first  met, I  thought  you  were  just  another  one  of  those  prissy  girls. And  you  proved  me  right, for some  time. But  then,  throughout  the  last  week, I  saw  a  different  side  of  you. A  more  dedicated  side  that  loves  dancing  and  I  also  realised, I’ve  come  to  appreciate  you  as  a  dancer  and  a  good  friend.” He  said. “Well,when  I  first  met  you. I  thought  you  were  just  another  one  of  those  rash  hip-hop  guys  that  don’t  know  how  to  handle  girls. But  over  the  time  we  spent  together, I  realised  you’re  kind,  caring  and  that  I  underestimated  you.” I admitted. “So...why  don’t  we  just  start  over.” He  said,  smiling. “I  would  like  that  very  much.” I  said. “So, friends?” He  asked. “Friends.” I  said. We  shared  a  hug  and  walked,  hand  in  hand,  back  to  the  dressing  rooms.

 

“ And  now  for  the  teen  division  duets  and  trios  category. Third  place  goes  to  number  15,  ‘I  want  to  be  like  you,  second  place  goes  to  number  50 ‘Wish  on  a  star  and  first  place  for  the  teen  division,  duets  and  trios  category  goes  to...........number  22, ‘Fairytale Dream!’” The  announcer  said  and  Jason  and  I  practically  jumped  out  of  our  seats. We  had  won! We  had  won! We  rushed  up  the  stage  to  receive  our  awards. “Congratulations.” The  head  judge  said, handing  us  our  trophies. We  took  a  quick  picture,  then  we  rushed  into  the  audience  where  Miss  Abby  embraced  us  with  a  tight  bear  hug. “Congratulations. You  proved  me  wrong  today. Great  job  out  there.” She  said  happily. Jason  and  I  looked  at  each  other,  smiling  happily. We  both  knew  this  was  just  the  beginning  of  a  beautiful  friendship.

 

 

 

 

© 2014 Rachel Roth


Author's Note

Rachel Roth
What do you think of the essay? Do you think I should've elaborated more? Or maybe the essay didn't compliment the topic? Or maybe I should've gone deeper into the relationship between the two dancers? Let me know in the comments below.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on May 30, 2014
Last Updated on May 30, 2014