A Dragon's Treasure

A Dragon's Treasure

A Story by Michael Raymond Robinson
"

An ancient beast tells us his tale why it is he chomps eagerly down on the endless onslaught of knights. He sits and smiles by a large old tree and remembers years ago. A short written for "A thoughtful Dragon" contest.

"

A dragon’s treasure

 

Wait, I can get it.  Just a—there it is.  Oh how I do hate getting chain armor stuck in my teeth.  A bit discomforting it is.  Now perhaps I can rest briefly, before jealous and greedy king sends another hapless errand boy to steal me treasure.  Says it belongs to him he does, but nay, I must disagree.

See folks, I’ve been here nearly three hundred years, wandering ‘round these woods here.  Yes since a fine young hatchling, I’ve roamed these hills.  Fact is, I was born over there on that knoll, the one his highness now calls home.  My mum, she let me run rampant, playin’ with the locale wildlife.  Well, you caught me, eating most, but hey, I was a growing dragon, I needed every ounce.

Anyway, I found this tree see; it was a sapling of a thing, much as I was.  We were both new to this world, both eager to grow strong and true, to stand tall, and rule this woods.  It sat by this brook here, now a bit larger almost a river one would dare say, but I digress.  I would love to sit by this tree, its leaves shading me from the rays of mister sun.  Laying under its protective canopy for hours well my imagination flooded my mind of places further off.

We grew together, this tree and I.  I whispered it my secrets, I shared with it my memories.  Over the years, we both grew, stronger, taller, and wiser, yes from saplings both of us to ancient leaders of our forest.

Now man moves in, brings axe and saw, spear and bow.  Hunts, chops, kills, and defiles, oh how sad.  Taking from us our home, our friends, our memories, these kings and knights are, so I hunt, chops, and kills too, but now it’s man, not my forest friends.

They ask what it is I’m so fiercely fighting over, and I tell them before they fight or flee.  “It’s my treasure you see, I wanna keep it and you want to take it,” I’d tell them.

Oh yes, laying here, fighting for my treasure—my tree and land, defeating greedy man always puts a smile on my face.  So yes good king send another and yet another, keep sending until you understand.  I would be willing to share the shade of my tree; all the good king has to do is but ask.  Yet I fear, this circle we are now in will not end, for asking is not in the nature of man.

 

© 2008 Michael Raymond Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, I love the humor and playful mood. This has children's book written all over it. I think the dragon narrator captures the reader and puts them on his side of story.(Even though hes murdering hundreds of knights) He is extremely likable and the story has a very fairytale mood.

Pros: Great Story! Teaches morales and values. Treasure isn't always gold

Cons: The dragon's accent. (pirate like)

Thx for great read and for reviewing my work. I'll email you some questions about it.


Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very playful, and amusing story, I enjoyed it immensely.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A great philosophical scene. The dragon is a very likeable character and I can sympathise with him and the forest. You describe the folly of humans well and their (our) desire for treasure.
Really amazing piece of writing, a very great read!


Posted 13 Years Ago


i like the philosophical ending, its very true.
is there more or was this just a short flight of fancy?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well written! I wish I could have thought of a similar scene myself. :) Cool picture, too. :)

Julia

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the fact that the treasure they are fighting is the land they live in, and all they have to do is ask, but man is greedy and this is a wonderful story that shows just how greedy. Nice tae on the dragon story. XX

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awesome Story. I didn't even feel sorry for the countless men being slaughtered which is strange, but I digress. I like the mood you've captured with this story, it made me believe that the dragon was right and the king wrong, which is quite different from most stories of this nature.

Very Fairy Tale-ish, I really enjoyed reading it, good job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow, I love the humor and playful mood. This has children's book written all over it. I think the dragon narrator captures the reader and puts them on his side of story.(Even though hes murdering hundreds of knights) He is extremely likable and the story has a very fairytale mood.

Pros: Great Story! Teaches morales and values. Treasure isn't always gold

Cons: The dragon's accent. (pirate like)

Thx for great read and for reviewing my work. I'll email you some questions about it.


Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wow!! This is really good!
I like it very much!
At first I thought treasure was like gold and money but I like the fact that it wasn't.
It's very well written.
Well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

856 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 16, 2008

Author

Michael Raymond Robinson
Michael Raymond Robinson

Robinson, PA



About
I'm returning to the Cafe. I look forward to reading and talking with ya'll within these cyberwalls. I am a lover of fantasy, science fiction, and supernatural thrillers. I was influenced at a yo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..