Redemption

Redemption

A Story by Sylvia Cuttino
"

A story of an Angel Warrior's penance to regain his "Fighting Spirit" after he questions God's Wisdom of the people he is assigned to protect.

"

REDEMPTION

 

Isaiah puts his sword back into its sheath and examines the destruction he just carried out on God’s behalf.

The thick smoke fills the air with the aroma of death, a smell that is quite familiar with Isaiah.  As he walks through the debris, surveying the damage of his rampage, his attention is drawn to an unimaginable sight.

He kneels down beside the burnt body of a man clutching a steel box close to his chest.  Isaiah recognizes the man as he who called out to God for help many times before.

Thinking the box contains personal items, that would make a man risk his life to perish among the predators he prayed to be destroyed, Isaiah opens it and finds it filled with money and jewels.

Isaiah slams the box close and flings it as far from him as he can.  Disgusted, he cries out to God and in an instant, finds himself standing before the Throne Room.

The blinding light causes Isaiah to bow his head in reverence and shame.  It is too late to turn back.  Even though Isaiah knows God is aware of everything, he questions,

“Most High and Exalted, Your servant asks what is the wisdom of granting protection to men who keep turning back to their “other” gods? What is the worth of it all?”

God is not to be questioned.

Because Isaiah has a special place in God’s heart, he is shown mercy instead of death for his lack of faith.  God spares Isaiah’s life, but He can not allow such an offense to go unpunished. God takes away Isaiah’s fighting spirit and with great sadness, dismisses him from His Presence.

With an empty soul, Isaiah’s only thought is to regain God’s favor and have his warrior spirit returned to him. He exiles himself to the mountain in order to focus on God’s Words.

 

Hours turns to days and days turn into weeks, but Isaiah stays perched at the small desk writing out the sixty-six books of the Bible and praying.  Every now and then, Isaiah writes a scripture that would cause him to fall to his knees in complete submission. These God-inspired words become catharsis for him.  This would be his penitence.

 

Isaiah looks at the finished handwritten Bible in his hands and feels accomplished.

He walks over to the balcony and reflects on his majestic surroundings.  He has always loved the magnificent mountain and its heavenly view of the sky, because it is a place that encourages his focus to become closer to God.  Isaiah looks to the sky wondering if God will accept his self-imposed penance.

Then he sees something in the distance or rather someone.  It is the figure of Malachi.  Malachi is a war-tested angel with a handsome, battle-scarred face.

Isaiah smiles.  It is as if he glanced at his own reflection.  He is a courageous, yet stoic warrior with battle scars of his own. He and Malachi fought as one against those who dared challenge the Heavenly Kingdom.  The other warrior angels counted themselves honored to merely be in the presence of God’s most trusted.

When he sees the vision of Malachi, Isaiah knows that he has regained God’s favor and his Fighting Spirit.

The wind tears through the trees like fighting doves, making Isaiah calm.

Isaiah steps outside the cabin and comes face to face with Malachi.  A wide grin spreads across Malachi’s lips as he declares to Isaiah, “I forgive you too.”

 

Isaiah grins back, even more at peace and still holding the Bible. “I want to come home.” he replies.

“It will not get any easier. There will still be many things that may feel wrong in fighting for such an unworthy people.” Malachi warns.

“I know, but I also know that God knows the final outcome and I have faith that it will all be worthwhile.  God doesn’t lie.” Isaiah counters.

Malachi unsheaths his sword and holds it to his side. “We can only continue as one.”

Isaiah nods in agreement as Malachi walks closer to him. Malachi inhales and exhales deeply, one last time as he walks straight through Isaiah.  As Malachi’s body passes through Isaiah’s, Isaiah takes a deep breath and gently places the sword in its sheath.

“Welcome Home.”

The familiar sound of chaos echoes in his ears, snapping Isaiah back to reality. 

Isaiah walks to the edge of the mountain and looks down at the next assignment God appoints to him.  With a glimpse toward Heaven, Isaiah places his Bible over his heart and steps off the ledge.

THE END

 

 

  

 

© 2015 Sylvia Cuttino


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like stories like this one, as I am a religious person, and from time to time I like to draw upon my faith and favorite portions of the the Bible to express myself in writing. Also, I always like to end on a hopeful note, so the ending was satisfying. A compelling tale indeed, as Mila said.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sylvia Cuttino

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review. It is nice to know there is someone else who is not afraid to re.. read more
Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

You're very welcome.



Reviews

Interesting way to portray the prophets. I liked it. Just a couple proofreading mistakes and you'll be set. Awesome job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sylvia Cuttino

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. I appreciate your attention to details and will it clean up better.
I like stories like this one, as I am a religious person, and from time to time I like to draw upon my faith and favorite portions of the the Bible to express myself in writing. Also, I always like to end on a hopeful note, so the ending was satisfying. A compelling tale indeed, as Mila said.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sylvia Cuttino

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review. It is nice to know there is someone else who is not afraid to re.. read more
Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

You're very welcome.
Congratulations on your work winning the Need Reviews? II contest! It was well earned! :)
Though I'm not a religious person, I found this story eye opening and riveting. Well done!

-Mila

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2015
Last Updated on March 11, 2015