Gone.

Gone.

A Story by b.platte
"

one-shot

"

“I keep my secrets locked away in a place, you will never find. Its for me only. Don’t you understand?”

She spoke so easily, as if it didn’t really matter, but in some profound way unbeknownst to me, it did. She always had a way of making me feel like I was the one that should be locked away in the loony bin. Not her. She just always seems so lucid and understanding.

“You will never know the whereabouts of my secret hidden sock puppets. I can’t just tell you where they are, they will be angry and bite you. Its for your own protection pear pear Perry!”


Then she says something crazy again, like that, and I snap back into reality.

“I know Kendra, I can never know.” I soothe, as I pat her head and pull her towards me. I hold her tight and smooth her tangled hair with a kiss. It tickles my nose and smells of her favorite strawberry chapstick. The scent taunts me, it consumes me, it reminds me of the good then slaps me with the truth of our situation in an instant. One of her nurses told me she’s been using it on her hair in attempts to keep her “gorgeous locks from getting chapped.” I let a single tear slide down my cheek and inhale a final deep breath as I prepare to leave, this time for good.

“This was a good visit, my sweet, I’ll see you next week? When I’m better and ready to go home?”

It takes everything in me to choke back the sobs that are threatening to escape.

“Ofcourse, when you’re all better, I’ll be back.”

With that, I give her one last hug and a lingering kiss on her pouty mouth. I walk out of the door and supress my desire to look back into her longing brown eyes. The divorce was finalized this morning, after 5 years of trying everything to get her back to being the woman I fell in love with. My heart died with that last confirmation that my wife was gone forever.


© 2012 b.platte


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

great job keep up the good work

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so sad, but fantastically written! I did not expect the twist at the end.

Posted 11 Years Ago


b.platte

11 Years Ago

thank you :)
Ummmm.. No words to describe this. I want to read more, but i think that would take away from this story. It was very good. I say leave it be. You dont turn anything into a book or novel that started out as a short story unless the character has more to say. If the character is quiet, you should be to, should force it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Belinda

11 Years Ago

Shouldnt**
b.platte

11 Years Ago

Thanks. Maybe one day they will have more to say, esspecially Kendra. But for now I think I'll leave.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mia
Oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my...a thousand times oh my. How old are you? Just wondering. How...what...this is crazy...you’re crazy. The best kind of crazy! I don’t even know how to tell you how awesome you are. Mind...blown!

Posted 11 Years Ago


b.platte

11 Years Ago

Yup, I get that alot. I haven't aged since I was in 8th grade... I'm like a vampire ;) except I like.. read more
Mia

11 Years Ago

HAHAHAHA! That's hilarious :)
b.platte

11 Years Ago

:D
This is so touching. It was just beautiful in every way. Such a short piece brought up so many questions so fast. This story would be an amazing one to drag out into a book. Perhaps a story about a man in search of his lost wife after, say, an accident of some sort? Amazing and full of potential, wonderful job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


b.platte

11 Years Ago

Yeah it was something that just sorta flowed and became what it is. I've thought about expanding on .. read more
So emotional, I almost cried. Very well done! The following line, I find myself relating to at times....

"She always had a way of making me feel like I was the one that should be locked away in the loony bin. Not her. She just always seems so lucid and understanding."

Posted 11 Years Ago


b.platte

11 Years Ago

I almost cried writing it! Thanks for your review!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 20, 2012
Last Updated on August 22, 2012
Tags: psychology, divorce, marriage, love, loss

Author

b.platte
b.platte

About
I write because it makes the day worth while. :) more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Story by b.platte



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ruse Ruse

A Poem by b.platte