Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Victoria G
"

Maybe not so ordinary :)

"

Chapter One

            A lot of times we don’t ask for things to happen. We never wanted that C- on that test, or for that perfect guy to dump us. I would love for those to be the issues with my life. But I am not that fortunate. I am the Master. Yes, that ancient legend about the bad guy and the good guy is a lot more than just a legend. It’s real life, baby, and I’m living it.

            Well, that information just begs the question ‘ Who is the darkness?’ To be perfectly honest, I have my hunches, but I don’t, erm, know. That fact makes it kinda hard for me to save the world if I have no clue what to save it from. So, I’m living like an ordinary teenager with magical bending powers, just trying to save the world from the evils of math class. Which is where I am now.

            Math is so boring. Sorry to all of you geometry whizzes out there, but it stinks. Unfortunately, I did not get a 180 IQ score along with the elemental control. Totally not fair. Today Mr. Finny is attempting to teach our College 1 Calculus class about the fundamental theorem of calculus. Most of us are just staring at the board, with heads tilted to one side trying to take it in. Then there’s Elliot, who’s jotting down every syllable Mr. Finny pronounces.

            Elliot Larson is the best human being on the face of this earth, I swear it. He is my best friend of all time. He met me only two years ago in the woods behind his house. I didn’t know they were his woods, so I just showed up and starting building a tree house by bending the air to carry up materials into this massive oak tree. He caught me as I jumped from the top of the tree one hundred feet up and landed soundlessly. There’s no good excuse for that really, so  I had to spill the whole story and we’ve been best friends ever since. I live in his backyard , and his parents think I’m some sort of nature freak who is a really good tree house builder. They are the nicest people though, they let me use their bathrooms and I eat dinner with them every night. I never knew my real parents, so they are kind of my substitutes.

            I don’t usually stay in one place for more than six months, people usually find me and then I have to leave. If they found out who I am, they would probably lock me up in some asylum, away from the elements. Scary. I try not to think about it, school is bad enough.

            As I was reflecting on my life, the bell for the end of school blared through the intercom. I sprang out of my seat and flew (well, not literally, don’t want to attract any attention) down the hallway towards my locker. I cringed at the sound of the squeaky hinges and shoved my binders into my messenger bag. I speed - walked my way down the hallway, avoiding making any eye contact. No, not because I’m scared of all of the nasty seniors, cause I know that I could take them all at once. It’s because eye contact leads to friendship, and that leads to trust, which will undoubtedly lead to betrayal. I’ve got one friend and that’s all I need.

            I burst out of the cold metal building and take a deep breath of the warm May air. It’s so good to feel the breeze ruffle my pansy sun dress around my legs. I waltzed over to the giant fountain near the entrance of the school. I examined my reflection in the clear, mirror-like water. My face wasn’t anything special, I had pale skin and full, pink lips. My eyes were the most exotic thing about me: they’re a deep hazel, with flecks of gold and orange. I love them. My hair is a very pretty auburn which fell to middle of my back. Today, it was loosely curled and half was pulled back. I had put a few live flowers in the curls to give it a more earthy look.

I sat on the side of the fountain, thinking how awesome it would be to make some waves in the water. Just a few. I was about to give into my temptations, but as I raised my hand, another caught it.

            “What are you doing?!” Elliot hissed at me.

            “I’m getting a salad, what does it look like?” I whispered back.

            “You really need to be more careful, Holly. I don’t want you getting caught,” he said dropping my hand. He’s such the big brother to me.

            “Well, no one saw and I doubt anyone would even notice anyways. But thanks, Eli.” I stood up and grabbed my bag. “Home?” I said looking up at his face.

            “Home it is,” he said cheerfully and at normal volume. He held his right arm out and I slipped mine though it. I couldn’t help but smile at how strange we must look: a six-foot soccer star and that girl that no one has ever heard of. I must look like a charity case to Medfield High.

            We walked in silence for a while, never dropping arms. He looked like he wanted to say something, but he stayed quiet.

            “So,” I say breaking the silence. “Do you know what’s for dinner?”

            “CanIwatchyoubendtoday?” Elliot asks really fast, and I laugh as he blushes.

            “I’m sorry, come again?”

            “Can I watch you bend today?” he asks sheepishly, dropping my arm.

            “Eli,” I start. “You know I don’t like it someone watches me bend. I’m always scared someone else will see.”

            “Since when did I become just ‘someone’? Come on Holz, I love watching you bend, you’re the only person on the planet that can do it.” I thought about this for a moment.

            “Fine. But- you have to help me fix my house.”

            “Your house? What could possibly be wrong with a magical tree house?”

            “See, I need these things called ‘nails’, maybe you’ve heard of them? Elements can’t do everything you know.”
            “Nails. Kay, I can do that…” And that was that. We lulled back into silence, but it wasn’t an awkward one. Nothing’s ever awkward between us. We were that close.

 



© 2011 Victoria G


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on August 16, 2011
Last Updated on August 16, 2011