Safety

Safety

A Chapter by SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
"

Lindo clenched his hands in his lap. This was it. This was the part where he could not fail. He could not let Folco and everyone else down.

"
    Lindo paced back and forth, hands clasped behind his back. Every minute was a century. Where was Kiran? What was taking so long? He was no longer hungry or cold, which was nice, but what if they failed? What if Kiran's lord refused them asylum? What would he say to Folco? His friend had been through enough. He'd lost everything in one evening. His mother, his father's love, his family's trust, his place to call home, his good name, his security. Even now Folco was likely marked for arrest and bore a price on his head, though they had yet to receive confirmation.

    "Come off it, Lindo, you're making me nervous doing that," said Shemaro, sitting at the edge a thick human-sized mattress. The Duke's servants had  selected one of the guest bedchambers for the six hobbits to stay. The Wooding sisters and Starla Jiffy were to share the massive bed. Even now, Thespina and Rina were sound asleep. Starla's eyes were still open but she looked ready to drift off at any instant. For the males, the mattress had been brought in. Percillo was asleep like his sisters but Shemaro was wide awake.

    Just then, there was a knock. "Come on in, we're all dressed," called Shemaro.

    The ornately carved door opened, revealing Kiran. The short beard that had grown since New Years' was gone. Lindo grinned up at the human. "I see you rid yourself of that pesky beard." After Duke Ivan  dismissed them earlier, Kiran had paused the instant he'd passed a looking-glass. The instant he'd seen his reflection, the man's face had assumed a horrified expression. He'd seemed especially upset by the beard, for he held his hand over his chin as though trying to hide it. "Pity you're not a hobbit, isn't it? You wouldn't have to worry about annoying nuisances like getting rid of beards."

    "True, but there's a trade-off I like." Lindo gave a quizzical look. "I save gold on food. I shudder to think how much you normally spend in a week on it. Or your parents, I suppose."

    Lindo snorted. "Right, because we don't starve ourselves if we can help it. Frankly, I'm surprised we made it here on what seemed barely one proper meal a day." He looked around at his fellow hobbits. Starla's eyes had closed and Shemaro was pulling a blanket around himself. His hands were so bony every tiny movement was raising sinews and blanching part of his skin right. Lindo sobered up. "I only hope everyone else does," he murmured.

    "Duke Ivan wishes to speak with you now about just that," said Kiran. "I'll be in the corridor in case you need to tidy up." He handed a comb to the hobbit before exiting.

    The door closed behind the human. Lindo walked towards the looking-glass. One glance made him instantly understand how Kiran, who'd experienced the same lack of food as the hobbits, felt. He knew he'd tightened his belt several times, and he'd noticed how thin everyone else was getting. but he'd never imagined just how loose his own trousers would be. It was a shock to see the change from before the New Years' disaster. His cheeks looked hollow, his wrists as small as he'd ever seen them. "Goodness," he remarked to Shemaro, "I seem to be bursting out of my clothes." Then there was the issue of the matted mess that was supposed to be his hair. Sighing, Lindo dug the teeth of the comb into the tangled mass. It moved about a centimeter before getting stuck.

    "You should stop eating so much," suggested Shemaro, wagging his eyebrows. "May I see that after you?"

    "Yes, and I wish you better luck than mine," replied Lindo, who'd pulled the comb out and tried another part of his head, promptly getting it stuck again. "I've half a mind to cut my hair off!" He was also starting to feel a bit peckish but that would have to wait until morning. He already knew humans only ate three big meals in a day, not smaller snacks and meals throughout.

~*~*~

    When Lindo rejoined Kiran, he was led not to the study from earlier but a smaller room containing a birchwood table and six chairs. A large serving bowl exuding a cinnamon aroma stood at the center of the table with a pile of smaller bowls and spoon next to it. "Sit," said Kiran before picking up the smaller bowl and ladling porridge into it. He handed that and the spoon to Lindo. "Thank you," said Lindo. Kiran took a seat besides him without taking any porridge for himself. "What about you? Or am I supposed to get it?"

    "No, that's for you and the others," said Kiran, "I've already had dinner and won't need to eat again until tomorrow. The same with His Grace- who, by the way, asked me to make sure you didn't think you'd have to wait for him. The rest is meant to be brought to the other hobbits."

    Lindo nodded, brow furrowing. "I'm not sure it's proper for me to eat now though..." Not only would it be awkward eating alone in front of others, he thought, but he'd be thinking uncomfortably of the others. But then, would he be upset if Lindo spurned the food? That was also a possibility. "Although if he expects me to..."

    "Do not fret overmuch about what I expect of you." Lindo jumped, face turning red. Humans were usually very loud in their  footfalls. Kiran could practically be heard a mile off. How had he failed to hear the Duke's approach? "My apologies if I startled you, but if you're still hungry, I wished to give you the option. And the porridge will be upstairs too by the fire so it stays warm.

    "Thank you, Your Grace." He was hungry, but if this was a conversation where he'd be speaking, eating would not fit well.  Then again, he could just have small bites when  it was Kiran or the Duke.

    "You are welcome. Anyhow, we are here to discuss your situation after what happened between Constable Mani,  Prince Folco and the rest of your group and  King Hrothgar and his people. I've heard Constable Mani's part, but what of yours?"

    "My family and I were there at royal family's direct invitation, I've been acquainted with them since I was five, long before the Restructuring. I had some visiting cousins too. The prince wanted to see them because they hadn't visited in months so when someone offered to replace him, in the kitchen he accepted."

    "Who offered?"

    "A fellow named Kirk Sorefellow." Lindo smirked slightly. He'd said fellow meaning a male hobbit, and the word fellow was also in his family name. That was funny! "I'm sure he actually was a sore fellow after what happened, but... yeah." Lindo trailed off when he noticed nobody else seemed amused. "Sorry. He's a friend of the king's, according to Folco, though he hadn't been there in a long while."

    "I see," said the Duke. "Did Prince Folco or you see any cause for suspicion?"

    "No, Your Grace, he was just doing Folco a favor. I wish I could ask Mr. Sorefellow if he saw anything, but we never had a chance, we had to get out of there."

    "What made Prince Folco think leaving was the best option?"

    "He told his father he didn't think Constable Mani killed Queen Arabella, but the king wouldn't listen, even when he said he knew for a fact the emissary was nowhere near the kitchen because he came outside not long after Prince Folco did. The king was angry about Prince Folco not being in the kitchen after he said to be there, but that's not why he left. He left because of the king ordering an attack after a bunch of the others said he was being unfair. Prince Folco was scared people would die, so he went out and told the gatekeepers his father said to let everyone leave. The king didn't of course, so..." Lindo broke off, swallowing hard.

    "What he did might be counted as treason depending on the ruler's interpretation," said the Duke very quietly.

    "Yes, Your Grace. The king said the people saying Constable Mani might be innocent were committing treason by not taking his word. And Prince Folco did a lot more by planting false orders, so he had to get out of there."

    "And you went with him? Or were you arguing on Constable Mani's behalf?"

    "Both," said Lindo, remembering how after Folco's first failed attempt to persuade his father he'd come over to the Riverses and beseeched Lindo to go back to his father with him. He'd been reluctant at first because of the king's dark mood. However, he hadn't wanted to let Kiran get in trouble for something not his fault either. "I remembered a lot of the same things as Prince Folco and told the king as much.

    "And how did Prince Folco seem when you and the others left with Kiran to come here?"

    Lindo closed his eyes, unsure of how to answer. The truth was, not well. He'd attempted to pass almost every meal since they quit Drémeadow. Lindo, who'd watched him like a hawk to ensure he didn't do just that, would not allow such nonsense. He worried now that the two older hobbits he'd asked to keep an eye on his friend's eating and sleeping habits were not watching carefully enough, but there was nothing he could do now. "He's upset, Your Grace," said Lindo, "and I think scared too. And angry. But otherwise, I'm sure, as well as one can expect."

    The Duke stroked his round chin. "I take it food was scarce judging by how you all looked when you arrived. How's shelter and everything else been?"

    "Very scarce, Your Grace. As for shelter, everyone's in a cave right now, if Prince Folco kept to his word that they wouldn't move from there unless forced." His stomach fluttered fiercely. He hoped that wouldn't happen.   "It's extremely crowded, but it's better than open air." Lindo straightened in his chair. Would the Northchester Duke think he was complaining too much?

    "They need food, medicine and blankets at the very least," Kiran chimed in. "I already know one of the five who came with Lindo and me took ill and I suspect by now there are many more. They can't go on with so little food in the middle of the winter indefinitely. We wish for them all to live."

    "What would you have me do?" asked the Duke, looking at Lindo.

    Lindo clenched his hands in his lap. This was it. This was the part where he could not fail. He could not let Folco and everyone else down. "If our calculations are right, we're in the middle of a forest that you, Rheeding and Baur share. We cannot figure out whose land. We know we cannot stay in that cave forever, though, and Prince Folco doesn't want to make anyone angry bringing almost two hundred of us onto someone else's land. He asked me to give you his apologies for all of the recent trouble. And he's hoping to get your brother's permission to hide everyone here, possibly in that forest in central Cancalia where we'd have the cover of trees from those looking for us."

    "He thinks there's a possibility of his father's agents looking for him, then. And that they'll go to such lengths as sending bounty hunters in after him or even coming in themselves," the Duke observed.

    Lindo winced. That was certainly like shooting himself in the foot with an arrow, what he'd just said. Why had he gone and brought up the possibility of people coming in after them? "It is a possibility, Your Grace," said Lindo. "But we aren't asking for you to give us an army or anything. We don't want a fight. Prince Folco said so himself. He's not interested in civil war. We just want somewhere to hide is all. We just need food, shelter, and as much safety as one can reasonably expect. I know it isn't much when you're considered a traitor in your own land, but..."

    "Pardon my interrupting, but a fight may be inevitable," interjected Kiran. "I know your prince does not want to hear it, but His Highness' hand may very well be forced."

    Lindo stiffened. Why were humans so quick to war? Why couldn't they understand that not all races shared the idea that battles were glorious? They were full of blood, death, destruction and gore. What glory did they see in unnecessary bloodshed? And Folco certainly would not want to bear arms against his own father and the hobbits who'd once served him along with the rest of his family! Kiran, he knew, meant well, but he was still a human. He still had ambitions for honor and glory. He'd been raised to see war as a source of that.  "With all due respect, we aren't looking for any kind of fight. We don't want any lost lives. We just want to start fresh."

    "What will you do if they find you? If you're attacked?" challenged Kiran. "Allow them to slaughter everyone?"

    "That's why we need a place to hide," said Lindo impatiently. They wouldn't be attacked if they weren't found. Humans, for some strange reason understandable only to them, had a borderline-suicidal aversion to hiding. Hobbits, however, understood that hiding when there was a strong chance of a bloodbath was less cowardly and more intelligent.

    "Yes, Lindo, we understand you hobbits are good at hiding, but you're forgetting your enemies are also hobbits, and if even one of them figures out where you, Prince Folco and everyone else are..." Kiran's voice trailed off.

    Lindo cringed. He did not need the sentence finished to know what the human was implying. "Yes, we're aware of the possibility, thank you for the reminder," he snapped.

    Duke Ivan held up a hand. "Calm down, both of you. I know you're tired. Do we need to postpone this discussion until after you've both gotten some sleep?"

    Lindo opened his mouth to retort, then closed it. He could not be disrespectful to someone who might help them. Kiran said "My apologies, Your Grace." His brown eyes turned to Lindo. "Do you wish to wait until tomorrow so you have more time to think of what you need to say?"

    "I've already said it," said Lindo. Hadn't his words been heard at all? "We need food and shelter so we don't all freeze and starve to death." Then, thinking he sounded rather antagonistic, he quickly added, "if it's possible, Your Grace."

    "Food and shelter can be arranged," said Duke Ivan. "I think Kiran is right, however, to be concerned about what might happen if you're all discovered. An attack on your group would force Prince Folco's hand. It only takes one clever enemy or one foolish ally to uncover a hiding place."

    "I understand that, Your Grace, but we aren't soldiers. Or knights. Or heroes of any sort. We're just a mix of farmers, merchants, craftshobbits, royal servants' family and hobbits not even out of school. And even Prince Folco's family always got by on trade, reasoned discussion and our own land's offerings. Never war. That's not us. We're not Cancalia, or Spolingharrow, or anywhere else that's in a war virtually every quarter-century."

    A fleeting look of annoyance crossed the Duke's face before it relaxed into its usual mien. "Well, I suppose I cannot argue there, we do tend to be in more wars than Drémeadow. I don't remember Drémeadow being involved in any way other than selling supplies to both sides since before I was born."

    "No. If I remember history right, the only time we've ever fought anyone was when dealing with outside invaders trying to interfere with our land," Lindo said. It was the only reason for raising arms that made any sense.

    "And that is a perfectly reasonable cause for fighting back. We did the same when Spolingharrow attacked some of our villages barely twenty-five years ago."

    "Okay, well, our situation now is not an outside invasion," said Lindo. "We're not interested in attacking our own fellow hobbits."

    "You mistake me," said the Duke. "I would never suggest such a thing. But I do think, and I wish you to pass this on to Prince Folco, that you all should at the very least learn how to defend yourselves."

    "There's always been some trained for that," said Lindo,  "we have a border guard, and the king has guards and watchers- I suppose you could call them soldiers- in our villages and by the palace and all."

    "And that some serve your king, do they not?" Kiran pointed out. "How many of those who came with you and me are trained for fending off attackers? How many of those back in that cave?"

    Lindo scowled. The answer was none, as much as he hated to admit it to himself. "Like I said. We're not warriors. We'd just have to do the best we can."

    "And, pardon my lack of tact in saying this, the best you can may not be good enough," said Kiran. "If their skill exceeds your best effort, you'll all still be killed."

    "Kiran," said the Duke sharply. The paladin inclined his head. "My suggestion to you, Lindo, to pass on to Prince Folco, is for all of you to receive training in defending yourselves. Archery, definitely, from what I know of halflings you have more of a predisposition for that than hand-to-hand combat. And, since you can't entirely avoid hand-to-hand combat, what to do if you find yourselves cornered and forced into it." Lindo opened his mouth to argue, but before he could say anything, the Duke added "you may never need to use that training. But please tell Prince Folco I think it necessary just in case you do need it. Better safe than sorry."

    That was true, Lindo thought. Knowing how to overcome an attacker when escape was impossible was a useful skill. However, there were more issues than just their lack of love for conflict. "Let's just say we did want to do such training," said Lindo. "Does that not cost a lot of gold?" His forehead crinkled as he racked his brain for the kinds of things they'd have to account for. "Gold for instructors, gold for equipment, gold for repairing equipment. Not to mention how much more we'd need to eat and drink if we were doing heavy training at all hours of the day? Even Prince Folco does not have much for that, relatively speaking, he didn't exactly have time to help himself to part of the royal treasury, all he has is what he was able to scrounge up in his bedchamber before fleeing."

    "If we are to be giving food and shelter, I suppose the training would go along with that," said the Duke.

    "Thank you, Your Grace, but I'm not sure Prince Folco would want our debt to be even heavier than it already will be, he knows he lacks the gold to care for us for more than a few weeks," said Lindo.

    "I'd say Prince Folco's coming to Constable Mani's defense when he saw injustice, especially given how much he lost because of it, is worth quite a lot," said the Duke. "Were it not for my family's having to see to Cancalia's well-being, I'd be inclined to ignore any debt entirely. As it is, I understand Drémeadow to be a generally self-sufficient place. I cannot think of a year in my lifetime where you did not have a surplus in your crops."

    "We had a few lean years before the Restructuring," said Lindo. "It wasn't much of a surplus."

    "But a surplus nonetheless," said the Duke. "Cancalia usually draws even. Sometimes we have a surplus, sometimes we do not have enough in our crops to go around and have to trade weapons or buy from places like Drémeadow that have a surplus. You said you have farmers among you, yes?"

    "Yes, quite a few," said Lindo. "The three who were two sisters and a brother are from a farming family and they're not the only ones."

    "Well, there you go," said the Duke. "I understand you may not be able to accept or decline in Prince Folco's stead, but please tell him that my family would be willing to accept whatever surplus your group produces in lieu of gold."

    "Are you able to offer that, Your Grace?" asked Lindo.

    "My brother is not in Cancalia," said the Duke. "My sister-in-law and I thus share his duties between us until he returns."

    "His Majesty hasn't returned yet?" said Kiran, sounding surprised.

    "Not yet. I'm assuming within a week. I'll then explain to him what's going on with you and why we have halflings from Drémeadow here. As for providing the food, shelter and training we were discussing, if my brother does not agree to provide assistance himself, then I still will with my own gold and my gold only.  And just to ensure word gets to King Irwin as soon as possible, I  intend to send Queen Arlena a message once this conversation is over. In the meantime, we need to discuss food, shelter and seeing to it you all have proper training. Kiran, will you be returning to the rest of the refugees with Lindo and the others, I trust, to help guide them to Cancalia?"

    "I will, Your Grace, if that is your wish."

    "It is. Do not worry about giving your deputy constable instruction, I'll have someone tell him to expect at least another fortnight running the City Watch in your stead. I want you fully focused on the task at hand."

    Kiran bowed his head. "Yes, thank you, Your Grace. What do you wish Lindo and I to tell Prince Folco? Where am I to escort the refugees?"

    "Here," said the Duke.

    "Here, Your Grace? Is there a place in Northchester large enough to hold them all?" Lindo had to admit Kiran had a point. They might be half the size of humans, but if the close proximity of the buildings were anything to go by, Northchester was a heavily populated city.

    "My attic."

    "Is there enough room up there? There's two hundred of them."

    The Duke raised his eyebrow. "Constable Mani, in case you have not realized, this is a very large holding. This was, after all, the royal palace until my grandfather decided he preferred living further south. My grandfather and many of his predecessors had servants and guards live here around the clock and the attic held their respective quarters. And we Benoits never made our servants live in cramped conditions. As you know, it's used for storage now, but that just means we'll have more cluttered closets. And conveniently enough, the mattresses that are either child-sized or too old for my family to use are already up there, all we'd have to do is have them cleaned and get blankets fit for use. They'll fit. It may be slightly crowded, but it'd suffice for shelter against winter's cold. Meanwhile, I'll discuss where they might be moved once winter's over with my sister-in-law. We'll need a vacant area where we can place barracks in case there ends up being more than just the two hundred of you. Perhaps some of our debtors will yield part of their land in exchange for their debts being forgiven .  As for food, I'll just have to provide incentive for greater output from my kitchen staff and hire a few extra pairs of hands. And I can start looking for instructors in archery and possibly even hand-to-hand combat."

    "Hang on," said Lindo, "We never agreed to hiring instructors."

    The Duke leaned forward to lock his eyes with those of the young hobbit. "I did not say I'd hire them. I'll be looking, though, because it will be easier to have candidates in mind now in case your prince agrees to wanting everyone trained than to wait until there's an answer. It means training can start sooner if he agrees, and if not, well, at least I know of people to recommend if any nobles come complaining to my brother or me that their vassals aren't properly trained."

    Lindo leaned back in his chair. "Well, then. I suppose that seems reasonable enough." It was a relief to know he'd be able to tell Folco there was an end in sight to their suffering.  Explaining how Kiran and the Duke had brought up the very unpleasant possibility of getting involved in a fight, however, was a daunting task. He was suffering enough after losing everything in the matter of a few hours. How could he add to it? He'd have to, for the good of everyone else involved, but Folco would be rather upset to hear of the humans' grim warnings. Lindo hoped with all his heart that they spoke more from the typical human predilection to war than because they actually believed in the possibility of an attack.

    "You'll also be wanting food and blankets, I assume?" said the Duke.

    "Yes, Your Grace. Also, some of us are starting to get sick."

    "Very well, then you'll also need medicine. And possibly a healer. One of Constable Mani's friends is one, if he will consent to go."

    "I shall ask Nont'im tonight, Your Grace."

    "Excellent," said the Duke. "As for the refugees who accompanied you, I need at least three to stay, if they are willing. It would be good to have them here to help with making sure y attic is comfortable."

    "Not having to go back out in the cold?" said Lindo. "I'm sure they're more than willing, Your Grace. I won't be one of the three, though, I count Prince Folco as a friend and won't stay knowing he's out there in the cold. I'd suggest the Woodings, they're two sisters and a brother and wouldn't like being separated. Starla and Shemaro can come back with me. I'll tell them tonight."

    The Duke stood. "Well, there's much to be done if this is to happen in a timely fashion. Lindo, make sure you get some rest. Kiran, the same goes for you, make sure you find time to sleep. I wish you luck getting Nont'im away from his latest woman long enough to update him on the past month of your life."

    Kiran laughed. Lindo looked between the two in confusion. "I'm sure I am, Your Grace. Why, I may even be able to persuade him to take a break from his lovers. Fortunately, the one thing he prefers above bedding pretty women is healing those in need of it and the occasional break from his clinic. I can give him both."

    "Very well. I'll speak to some of my servants about preparing a cart with food, medicine and blankets. You two have my leave to go."




© 2014 SpeedyHobbit Armstrong


Author's Note

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
12/2/14: I feel like this chapter could use some paring down. If you spot something that seems superfluous and/or already said elsewhere and/or irrelevant, please let me know!

This chapter was added long after most of the chapters between this and "Dire Consequences" were written. Please let me know if you spot any inconsistenciesor excessive repetition.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well written, as usual. No spelling or grammatical errors jumped out at me and it flows well. You painted the characters well and I got a good picture of their personalities. I do think it gets bogged down a bit with too much information, though. I'm afraid it got a little tedious for me to read. I suggest you go back through it and think about which parts might not be totally necessary and cut them.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks for letting me know how you were feeling! Do you recall which parts in particular hd your min.. read more
Craig2591

9 Years Ago

I don't know if I can point out specific passages. I think you just need to read through it again a.. read more



Reviews

All in all quite good. Another fine chapter. In some of the early paragraphs you used the word "instant" a number of times in sentences quite close together. It may flow a bit better if you changed it up with "moment" etc.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Whoops, will have to look at that when my mind is more coherent and not in bedtime mode
Well written, as usual. No spelling or grammatical errors jumped out at me and it flows well. You painted the characters well and I got a good picture of their personalities. I do think it gets bogged down a bit with too much information, though. I'm afraid it got a little tedious for me to read. I suggest you go back through it and think about which parts might not be totally necessary and cut them.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks for letting me know how you were feeling! Do you recall which parts in particular hd your min.. read more
Craig2591

9 Years Ago

I don't know if I can point out specific passages. I think you just need to read through it again a.. read more
No inconsistencies stand out to me, no excessive repetition, although I actually appreciate some repetition as a reminder in a work of this length. You have added some good detail to your descriptions of hobbits and the contrast with humans, which is entertaining and adds to the realism. Honestly, I have no specific criticisms and you've aroused the readers interest by foreshadowing that Kiran and Lindo are far from "safety" yet.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much! Yeah, I had some fun with that, knowing what Kiran, Lindo, Prince Folco and other re.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 27, 2014
Last Updated on December 3, 2014
Tags: food, shelter, refugees, asylum, politics, fantasy, healer, survival, struggle


Author

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

Long Island, NY



About
My name is Cher Armstrong, also known as Speedy Hobbit. I'm a USATF athlete in racewalking for the Raleigh Walkers club team. I just graduated from Queens College in Queens borough in New York Ci.. more..

Writing