Guardian Angel

Guardian Angel

A Story by Stephanie
"

Contest: Give Me Something to Sing About

"

"D****t!"

Now I'm not one to cry over spilt milk- or in my case spilt books- but papers had flown everywhere, pencils and pens were quickly rolling away from me, and I was pretty sure my calculator was now broken after its impact with the school hallway floor. On top of all that, I had about two minutes to get all my crap and run to the other end of the hall. I groaned as I got down on my knees to start picking up my stuff. Why did my bag have to rip today? Today of all days! When I had a test in History? Sometimes I wondered if karma wasn't out to get me.

"That sucks." A voice informed me. I was not having it, not now.

"Yes, it does suck. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, you unhelpful, arrogant-" I looked up to see my boyfriend Owen and my words stuck in my throat. I wasn't in the mood for his jokes right now. "Would you help me?"

"Nice to see you too, babe." He joked, bending down to help me. I ignored him while I picked up my calculator, which was indeed broken. I cursed again and Owen laughed. I was down to a minute. As I clambered uselessly to get all my fallen crap in time, Owen's hand lifted my chin so I was forced to look at him.

"What?"

"Calm down."

"Calm down? I have a test I'm about to miss and I have to carry all this stuff in my arms because my bag is broken and you're sitting there being about as unhelpful as...I don't know, someone really unhelpful! Now either help me or go back to class because I am not in the mood."

He let go of me and suddenly he looked angry. Well, too bad. I had to get somewhere and he wasn't helping. Besides, it wasn't like I hadn't yelled at him before. We'd been in a weird rut lately that I didn't want to add to my list of things to think about. Suddenly, Owen kicked the nearest locker, giving me a booming headache on top of everything else. I looked up at him; he was red with anger.

"You know what Kira? I'm sick of your bullshit! You argue with me over the stupidest things and you never want to come over anymore, or you're always busy. You have homework or your sister has a game, all these excuses! I'm thinking you're just tired of me!"

"Owen, that's not-"

"Stop! I've tried to overlook it, ignore it. I made excuses for you, like maybe you were PMSing. But I'm pretty sure you girls don't do that for a month straight! I'm done, Kira. See you around."

With that, he turned and walked away. The bell rang, and the few stragglers that had been remaining all tore their eyes away from the scene Owen had caused to run to their classes. My mouth was hanging slightly open, and nothing came out. No words, even though it was entirely too late for that. I'd been dumped. Loudly. Publicly. I picked up the stuff I'd managed to get off the floor, leaving my ripped bag and some stray pens and paper on the floor, and walked out the doors.

I made it to my car, dumped my stuff in the backseat, then sat in the driver's seat. For a while, I just stared at the wheel. I didn't know what I was going to do exactly. My buzzing phone snapped me out of my reverie. It was a text from my best friend Levi:

 

Kira, where are you? The test already started. And guess whose seat is empty?

 

I didn't feel like texting back. I threw my phone on the passenger seat and drove home. When I got there, I went to bed. I  fell asleep quickly, despite that it was only one in the afternoon.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

There was a knock at my bedroom door.

"Kira?"

Why was Levi here? I didn't answer, so he let himself in. I could see his face, and he looked horrified. He was staring at me staring at him. Though I suppose he was also looking at my red, puffy eyes, my tear stained face and my frizzy hair. He sat down at the edge of my bed.

"What happened? Why weren't you in History?"

"My bag ripped...all my stuff fell out. Then Owen..." I couldn't even say the words broke up. I started shaking and my eyes stung with the new wave of tears that were arriving. Levi made me scootch over so he could lay next to me.

"He broke up with you huh?"

All I could do was nod. I hiccuped once.

"Kira...the guy clearly didn't know what he had. You deserve so much better."

He started pushing my hair out of my face. I knew he would say something like that. He'd said that for every guy that had broken up with me since seventh grade. Levi was my best friend, he was just doing his job. He didn't seem to need me to answer him, he just started playing with my hair. I fell asleep again.

-----------------------------------------------------

 

When I woke up, Levi was gone. It was ten in the morning; I'd slept through the night plus half a day. That was more like a hibernation that sleeping. In all fairness, it was a coma. I got out of bed and experienced my normal morning vertigo. I washed up in the bathroom, drowning myself in a hot shower. When I got out, I dressed in sweats. It was Saturday after all. Then I found a note taped to my door.

 

Kira,

Good morning! I hope that hibernation was enough rest for you. I hated seeing you like that last night, all broken up over a guy who never deserved you in the first place. After you fell asleep, I stayed and watched you. Calm down, I wasn't "watching you". But I was worried. There's something you need to know Kira. I should have told you a long time ago, but I didn't want to take a chance with our friendship. I like you, and I have since I first met you. I've been there helping you back up after all these guys mess you up and it's been hard. But I can't just keep it to myself anymore. There's a box of Poptarts downstairs for you (Strawberry, your favorite). You have my whole heart Kira. Feel better.

Levi

 

I read it three times before I smiled. My best friend was in love with me, it figures. I put the letter in my back pocket and went downstairs for those Poptarts. I tore the kitchen apart looking for them, and I couldn't find them. Finally I gave up and went to the living room to watch TV. What I found there was Levi on the couch with the Poptart box in his hands.

"Good morning sunshine!"

"Good morning." I said carefully. He threw a Poptart at me, which I caught. I went to sit down with him and I pulled the letter out of my pocket and gave it to him. His eyes widened.

"So...you read my letter?"

I nodded.

"Oh, okay. You don't have to say anything and we can pretend I never wrote it! I mean, I wasn't really thinking when I wrote it and...you know you don't have to pay attention to-"

I smiled at him and took his hand, weaving his fingers with mine. The biggest smile stretched across his face as I put my head on his shoulder and watched early morning cartoons. He let go of my hand to put his arm around my shoulders, taking my hand back with his free hand. We stayed like that through Dexter's Lab and Tom and Jerry. I felt better than I had in a while, carefree. All I needed was this. All I needed was my guardian angel.

 

© 2013 Stephanie


Author's Note

Stephanie
Written kind of quickly for a contest. I'm not crazy about it, but tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Doesn't sound as if it was written quickly.
Then again I'm no expert.

As was mentioned I would like a bit more background on Levi.
I liked how being dumped totally made her forget about the test.
I don't see why they this can't be realistic...then again, maybe I just live in a dream world xD.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like this and with some editing (because, as I'm sure you know, things written quickly always need editing!)
I think you have a neat short story. Perhaps you could add a little more about Levi and how he became a best friend? I just think this would link the piece together a little bit more. Nice ideas.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Sometimes the ones we need are right in front of us and we don't see it... the ex-boyfriend seemed selfish and she could certainly do better... all in all a cute story with a sweet and kind hearted message.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
I think you have a Great story here, Stephanie! I'm not one to point out editorial things...I read and give my opinion on what I read. We all make typos and the like. Keep up the Wonderful displays of your Talent! S & V to ya! : >)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Reviewer Disclaimer:

First off, I am no expert. What I offer here is nothing more than my opinions. I'm no expert, in fact I don't even think that I ever even got an "A" in an English class. But I'll tell you what I liked and what I thought seemed a little off. I'm not trying to make myself feel important (I hate when people do that) I'm just telling you what I think. That being said, I'll go ahead and review:

In ...

"I didn't feel like texting back. I threw my phone on the passenger seat and drove home. When I got there, I went to bed, faliing asleep quickly, despite that it was only one in the afternoon."

Looks like there's a typo in the word "falling" and how would th end of the line sound like this? ......

"... I went to bed, faliing asleep quickly, despite the fact that it was only one in the afternoon.

Other than that I really enjoyed the story. It was uplifting. It wasn't real, (LOL) because nice guys finish last, but it was uplifting. You write well.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 15, 2009
Last Updated on August 26, 2013

Author

Stephanie
Stephanie

Gilroy, CA



About
I'm Stephanie, 27. Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, even though I have a degree. Getting through some serious writer's block from the past 5+ years. Excited to be back! more..

Writing
Tingle Tingle

A Poem by Stephanie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen


Hills Hills

A Poem by Emily B