Afternoon Tea

Afternoon Tea

A Story by Sue
"

Two women meet regularly at a café in town and this is one such meeting...

"

Afternoon Tea

Café Noire was situated in Sandeton High Street, alongside the tailors and the shoe shop. A small sign with red lettering announced its presence to passing trade. It was frequented by the older town people who enjoyed its nostalgia and sometimes the young who were curious to see what the attraction was.  The owner, Madge Weston overlooked the proceedings with a knowing eye, her only nod to the modern age a shiny electronic till in the middle of the counter.

Table 12 had its customary ‘reserved’ sign, occupied once a month by two widows who met over coffee and doughnuts to talk about the days gone by.  The younger of the two, Jane, was already seated and checking out the doorway.  She was always early.  Jane sighed as she recalled the conversation with her daughter last week:

“Why do you still go, Mum?  I mean you haven’t got anything in common, other than you’re both lost your husbands I suppose.”

“She looks forward to it love, I don’t want to disappoint her.  I think she’s lonely.”

“Really, I always thought she was enough company for herself, she never seems to let you get a word in.”

“Now, now, Lauren, she’s not that bad…”

Lauren changed the subject by handing her mother a brightly coloured leaflet.  It was about the new tea dances to be held Wednesday afternoons at the local community centre.  Lauren wanted her to go but Jane was apprehensive.

“What if no one talks to me?”

“Don’t be silly Mum; everyone is in the same boat " and you enjoy dancing; don’t you remember telling me you and Dad used to go to the local dance hall all the time?”

“I don’t know…”

“Go on, give it a try.”

So she had gone that first Wednesday and to her surprise had enjoyed herself.  It had been even more enjoyable once she met Charlie.  He was on another table and appeared to be on his own. Then he spotted her and smiled.  She smiled back shyly and soon he came over and asked her to dance. Jane accepted cautiously and followed him onto the dance floor.

He was a fine mover and Jane found her dancing feet again.  Time passed quickly and before she knew it, Jane had made a new friend…

Charlie and his sister Madge had made their way to the community centre that Wednesday afternoon.  Madge had been the first to find a partner and was having a fine time.  Charlie sat watching the couples dancing by.  He looked idly at the other tables.  Then someone had caught his eye.  Like him, she was sat alone; she had a nice, open face. He smiled at her cautiously and she smiled back. It was then that Charlie spotted Jack on the floor making a right spectacle as usual.  Well he couldn’t have that. Charlie got up and strolled nonchalantly over to the woman’s table, trying to look like he’d been doing it for years.

“Do you fancy a spin on the dance floor?”

“I’m not sure I know this one…?”

“That’s ok, just follow me, it’s easy really.  Come on, it’ll be fun, I promise.”

So he led her onto the floor.

“I’m Charlie.”

“I’m Jane.”

“Pleased to meet you.”

“Likewise.”

So Charlie had spent a lovely afternoon dancing and chatting; so much so that he even found himself inviting her out for a coffee the next day; a decision, he felt, would turn out to be the best one he had made in a while…

As she sat waiting at the café table, Jane smiled as she thought about Charlie.  Suddenly her friend arrived, breathless, shaking her out of her reverie. 

Babs was the same age as Jane but refusing to give in to it.  She was dressed in a bright blouse and jeans, with elegantly painted nails and heavy make-up. Jane herself was more conservative, dressed in a navy two piece with pearls, and wore only lipstick and powder on her face.

“Sorry I’m late Jane, went for a late jog this morning and forgot the time, how are you!”

She kissed her LA style and then sat down.

“Not too bad, you?”

“Fighting fit, Jane, ta.”

The waitress approached, and slowly took out her pad.

“Looks like she’s on her last legs,” whispered Babs.

“Shh, she’ll hear you!”

Jane smiled encouragingly.

“Usual then, loves, is it?”

“Yes, please.”

Babs winked at Jane and asked:

“Do you have any Chateau Neuf, please?”

“We don’t sell alcohol here Madame, no licence.”

“Shame!”

Babs grinned.  Jane ignored her.

“It’s ok, we will stick with the usual thanks.”

The waitress shuffled off towards the back of the café to pass on the order.

“Can’t take a joke, can she!”

Jane changed the subject.

“Is that a poster of Spain over there?”

“No, Jane, it’s Portugal.  They do excellent food you know.”

“Really, I’ve never been…”

“I had such a wonderful trip there, in a smashing villa near the sea, with all the mod cons; I hear Cliff Richard has a place out there; didn’t see him though.”

“I like his music….”

Babs didn’t appear to hear and carried on:

“I remember when my mum let me go to my first Cliff concert; he was so handsome, I was all weak kneed and had such a good time.”

“How is your mum doing, Babs?”

“Still the same; they do look after her ever so well in the home you know; costs the earth but she’s worth it; they get to do all sorts of activities, trips and the like.”

 “I expect it’s nice to be able to have the money to do so.”

Jane looked sad.

“Suppose so. Mind it means I can get out and about a lot so can’t complain.”

Jane noticed the waitress arriving.

“Ah, here’s our order.”

The cups rattled as they were placed on the table, along with the plate of pot of tea and a plate of doughnuts.

“Thanks, loves.”

The waitress slipped away slowly.

Babs chattered on:

“You know I’m sure they get smaller every time we come in, and considering what we pay for them, I think they should be better quality…”

Jane attempted to cut in:

“I see the price of eggs has gone up again. Looks like I’m going to have to cut down again…”

She sighed again.  Babs seemed not to notice, hardly taking a breath.

“…Time’s marching on, oh did you see Cliff celebrated 50 years in the business the other day?”

“Yes, I saw that in the paper…”

Babs interrupted her, with a dreamy look in her eye:

“…He’s still so handsome; wouldn’t mind meeting him now.  Reckon he needs a bit of company.  Never married, so I have a chance, don’t you think?”

Jane sipped her coffee and coughed awkwardly.

Oblivious, Babs took a big bite out of her doughnut.  Jane looked at hers, savouring it with her eyes, then broke off a small piece.

Babs broke into the silence:

“I remember the first time I met my Harry; it was in this café did I tell you?”

“Yes you did, several times….”

Jane stifled a yawn.

“All that dark hair and brown eyes, I can still feel the shiver that ran through me; wasn’t surprised when he noticed me, you know what a looker I was; well still am.  He asked me to dinner, and that was that.  Never regretted it once…”

Babs sighed, then bit into her doughnut again.

Jane saw her chance to speak:

“I miss my Stan, particularly when the wind blows through the street.  I keep thinking I can hear the ship’s horn in the harbour - I was so proud when he was made a Captain; he looked so dashing in his uniform and that cap, so brilliant in the sunlight…”

Jane stared into the distance, her eyes moistened, and was quiet for a moment.

“Warm isn’t it?”

Babs suddenly cut in.

Jane started.

“What the coffee?”

“No the weather, for this time of year I mean.   Mind I prefer the sun.  Need to top up my tan before my next holiday.”

“Yes, of course…”

Babs rambled on:

“You know my grand-daughter bought me an I-phone for my birthday; not been without it; so useful for keeping in contact.  You must get one!”

“You know me and technology, Babs, not really my thing…”

“I do miss the ciggies sometimes you know; still much healthier without them.  Got to look after myself; mind I still have the figure of a twenty year old, so I’m told.  You should join a gym Jane, get rid of some of those wobbly bits…”

Silence fell once mores.  Jane shifted uneasily in her chair and Babs fiddled with her hair, checking out her make up in the mirror from her clutch bag. Jane looked up suddenly and remarked:

“I’ve joined this new group; we have tea dances every Wednesday. I wondered if you’d like to come along?”

“Tea dances, not really my scene darling; for old fogies that sort of thing, no offence mind.”

“No of course not; well I just thought maybe you’d….”

Babs blundered in again:

“I’m doing those new Zumba classes myself and loving it; bought myself a lovely new leotard to wear; makes all the men look.”

She giggled.

“Yes…anyway I was just about to say…”

“…You should come to that Jane; more energetic than that tea thing, and you’d met some more interesting men.”

Babs winked.

Suddenly the door opened and a good looking older man walked through it.

“Charlie, you found me!”

Jane smiled.

The man walked up and planted a kiss on Jane’s cheek and smiled back at her. Then he spoke:

“Thought I’d pop in and see if you were ready.  Hope you don’t mind if I steal her away.”

He looked enquiringly at Babs, whose jaw dropped a mile.

“I-I…”

It was a new experience, seeing Babs speechless.

“This is Charlie, my new friend.  Charlie, meet Babs.”

 “Pleased to meet you; are you ready to go Jane, love?”

Charlie offered his hand, which Babs shook distractedly, her mouth still open.

Jane patted her friend’s shoulder.

“Me and Charlie are going to see a film; was lovely seeing you again Babs; same time next month?”

Babs coughed.

“Oh, er yes of course.  Erm, where did you say that club met?”

Jane handed her over the leaflet and, arm in arm, she and Charlie left the café.

Babs followed soon after, still in a dream.

Madge Weston watched her go.  It was closing time, so Madge shut the door and changed the sign.  I’m ready for a cuppa, she thought. She went upstairs to her flat above the café. Pottering around the kitchen, she got out a mug, placed a tea bag in it, boiled the kettle, poured it out then added some milk. Then, taking the mug with her, she walked into her lounge, and sat down in her favourite chair by the fire. She mused about the day.  It had been a fruitful one; persuading her brother to go along to that dance. It had been the best idea she’d had in a long time. It was worth it just to see that Babs woman’s face. Chuckling to herself, she settled down comfortably to drink her tea. Yes, it had been a good day.

 

THE END

 

© 2015 Sue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the connection from the beginning and the end where 'oh Madge is just some owner' then connecting it to being the brother and a schemer in a sense! I enjoyed this little story and Babs really is fairly rude so shocking her was funny. Keep Dreaming ^^

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sue

8 Years Ago

Thanks Kana :)



Reviews

I love the connection from the beginning and the end where 'oh Madge is just some owner' then connecting it to being the brother and a schemer in a sense! I enjoyed this little story and Babs really is fairly rude so shocking her was funny. Keep Dreaming ^^

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sue

8 Years Ago

Thanks Kana :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 16, 2015
Last Updated on May 16, 2015

Author

Sue
Sue

Southsea, Hampshire, United Kingdom



About
I enjoy creative writing and have written poems and stories ever since I learnt how to write. I haven't time to review other people's work often I'm afraid; however I would like some criticism on .. more..

Writing
To Touch The Sea To Touch The Sea

A Poem by Sue


Words Words

A Poem by Sue