Prologue Anna's Triumph

Prologue Anna's Triumph

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

Mamma’s truck pulled into the driveway. When it stopped, Uncle Mattie stepped out. I ran and wrapped my arms around his legs. I was so glad to see him.

The green camouflaged pants he wore looked strange. Why wasn’t he wearing his jeans? I stepped back and looked up and up and up, until I could see he face. He wasn’t wearing his cowboy hat either. He didn’t look like Uncle Mattie anymore. He looked like a soldier. That made me mad.

Stepping back I drew back my foot and kicked him as hard as I could. Why did he have to leave me? He had been gone forever, and now he didn’t look like he should. He didn’t even smell the same.

When he stooped down and picked me up, I wrinkled my nose. “You smell funny.” I pulled his hat off. “Where is your hair?” I reached up to touch his head. The stubble felt funny. “I don’t like it!” I swung my legs and tried to kick him again.

I felt his breath catch, and then he tucked me under his chin. “I’ve missed you too Kitten.”

I twisted and turned until I could put my arms around his neck. “I love you Uncle Mattie, do you still love me? You went away and left me.”

“Always Kitten, no matter where I am, I will always love you.” I didn’t understand why he was trembling, but his assurance made me happy. Then he kissed my forehead, and I felt wetness on his cheek.

“Why are you crying? Did I hurt you Uncle Mattie?”

He smiled and shook his head. Then he lifted me to sit on his shoulders. I put my face on his head, it felt funny, and he smelled funny, but he was home and I was happy. I couldn’t wait to show him what I could do on my pony. When he left the next week, I felt like my world had ended. He was once again dressed like a soldier. When he knelt to tell me goodbye, I tried to hold on to him to keep him from leaving me.

“Please don’t go Uncle Mattie. I’ll be good, I promise, just don’t leave me again.”

“I’ll always love you Kitten, ALWAYS, but I have to go honey. It’s my job.”

When Daddy and Mama pulled me away from him, I hated them. If Daddy had not come home, Uncle Mattie would not have ever left me. I hated him for that, and I hated the soldiers for coming to get him.

When Uncle Mattie got into the car with the soldiers, I ran to the barn. I hurried to my pony’s stall. When he looked out at me, I grabbed hold of his mane and let him pull me into the stall, and then I took hold of his tail and climbed up his back legs and onto his back. From his back, I could unlock the stall door. Once I opened it, I kicked him into a gallop. We left the barn and I saw the car Uncle Mattie was in turn onto the road. In desperation, I turned Buttercup to follow them. I leaned into his mane and urged him to go as fast as he could, but it wasn’t fast enough.

When we reached the road, Uncle Mattie was already a long way off, I gave up and turned to go home. Mama was calling me and I rode to her. She rode with me to the barn and helped me down.

As she carried me to the house, I once again heard Uncle Mattie’s voice. If he loved me, “ALWAYS”, why did he have to go?


© 2010 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
This is a first draft. It will probably change somewhat when I eventually start back to work on the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great story and very interesting topic. And very nice point of view. ITs as if you were this little girl. Great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


You have create a possibility of a masterpiece. Brought tears to a old Soldiers eyes. Your description made the story come alive. I left family and friends often in my 15 years in the Army. For some people (Like kids) it is hard for them to understand. I know children of friends who die in the Wars. You can see the hardness in their eyes for they will never understand why they lost their father.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2010
Last Updated on April 25, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Warfare The Warfare

A Poem by Thea