Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Concealed Prince

His first punch hit me in the stomach and I doubled over from the force of the blow. The pain came right after that. White bursts detonated across my vision. At least I could see something. I sucked in a deep mouthful of air, gasping, and his friends held my aching body up. The next blow cut across my cheek, his ring cut the skin open. I could feel the blood sliding down my face. I grinned and laughed, trying to hold back any sign of pain. But that only seemed to make him angrier.

Kids were screaming in the background. Half of them urged on the fight; the other half were shouting to get help because a blind chick was getting beat up by a group of upper classmen.

“I told you to stay away from my cousin, Price,” The boy shouted. “I ain’t afraid to beat a f*****g dyke.”

His name was Grant Turner and the cousin he was talking about was Raylin. The day after we started dating, people found out. Andie swore she didn’t tell anyone. I guess the only person who could’ve told was Raylin. Grant’s been threatening me all week. He said if I didn’t break up with his ‘innocent’ little cousin, he was going to teach me a lesson. I suppose that’s what he’s doing now.

“Get the f**k away from her,” Raylin screamed from afar.

I lifted my head the slightest bit to try to see her. My vision was still blurred. It had been blurred since the accident…slowly fading.

His friends flung me down on the pavement. I got on my hands and knees, still laughing. Hopefully he’s get mad enough to actually knock me out. It’s not that I want to go to the hospital or anything, but I came up with something last night. Maybe everything bad that’s happening to me is because I deserved it. I deserved it for pushing Andie away like an ungrateful b***h.

He screamed at me to get up, and then he kicked me. I shielded my body a little, instinctively, gasping as his foot swung into my stomach and pushed the breath out of me.

I spat out the blood.

Then it stopped. I guess he left. I heard feet scrambling towards me. Arms wrapped around my neck and cradling my head. Liquid fell on my forehead, and it took me until the liquid got to my lips to realize they were either tears or sweat. Ew. I didn’t want someone else’s bodily fluids on me.

“I’m so sorry, baby,” Raylin whispered above me. She kissed my face dozens of times and stroked my hair. “I didn’t think he would actually do it.”

I spat out more blood and gasped for air. It seemed like I had been trying to do that a lot this week.

Breathe.

Andie stopped sleeping in my bed when she found out I was dating Raylin. She spent all of her time with friends so she could avoid coming to the room and she even got alternative school for three days so she could steer clear of me in any classes we had together. With her gone, I had been having more nightmares. I woke up breathless. I hated it.

“I can’t believe this,” Raylin muttered.

I grinned halfheartedly, “You better believe it. He’s got quite an arm on him, too. I guess football is doing him well. He’ll probably famous one day. Get me an autograph when that happens, okay?”

“Dylan, this isn’t the time for joking. God�"there’s so much blood.”

There can’t be that much blood. I didn’t think I had that many open wounds. Until I moved my legs. A sharp pain shot through my body. It pressed into my stomach. Just what I needed. Another trip to the hospital.

“Where’s Andie?” I asked. Why hadn’t she said anything?

“She’s right�"” She paused. “She was right here. Guys, where’s Andie?”

“She just ran into the building.” A guy said.

Great, she didn’t even stop to see if I was okay.

Raylin walked with me to the nurses' office. All the way there, I could hear her soft sniffling and gasps. Damn, the fight was over. I understand you’re scared, but this is ridiculous. I’m alive, aren’t I? Once we got there, the nurse stripped off my shirt.

“You’ve got some pretty nasty cuts, Price,” Nurse Puff said. That’s what we called her, because she resembled Mrs. Puff from SpongeBob. The same short blonde hair and big eyes. And when Nurse Puff got angry, which was rare, she’d seem to blow up.

“Don’t let them fool you, I got a few punches in, too,” I was lying.

“I’ll be right back, don’t you girls go anywhere.” The nurse said.

Raylin wrapped her arms around me after Nurse Puff’s footsteps disappeared. I wish she hadn’t left. Now, I had to explain myself to her.

“What happened back there?” Right on cue.

“He just came at me. It’s about time, too. I was getting sick of waiting,” I sighed. “It was like being in a doctor’s office. You know you’re going to get a shot, and you see him with the needle. But all he’s doing is tapping it and playing with it. You just want to get it over with so you can get on with your life.”

“Why didn’t you fight back?”

“I couldn’t.” I spoke delicately.

“Yes, you could.” Her voice wavered.

“He’s your cousin. That meant he was my cousin-in-law�"to some degree. I can’t hurt family.” I smiled and raised my hand to her cheek.

“Dylan…” Her voice was slow and hesitant.

“Okay, girls, here we go!” Nurse Puff said as she entered the room. Her cheerful voice seemed out of place.  I felt cold hands on my sides. “This may hurt for just a second, Dylan.” She warned.

F**k. I hate stitches. I hated all types of needles. One of my few phobias.

I squeezed Raylin’s hand as the nurse stitched up my open wounds on my arm, face, and my abdomen. I was surprised she didn’t pull away. Most people said I had a killer grip. Even Andie squirmed a little when I gave her one of my roughly playful handshakes.

“All done,” Nurse Puff exclaimed after she stitched me up and wrapped the bandage around my stomach.

“Thanks,” I said.

“Keep yourself out of trouble, Dylan.” She said.

“I’ll try.” I was tired of getting hurt, anyway.

 

Raylin walked me to my room. I doubt Andie would be there. She was probably with her friends getting high. I hated when she went out with them. They were more reckless and stupider than any group of people that I had ever seen. And when she was with them, so was she. She was probably with them to piss me off. She was trying to get me back for breaking her heart. Yeah, Andie was just that immature sometimes. But I had to do it. If Rae came back, she’d definitely use me against Andie.

“Dylan!” A voice behind us yelled when we were right outside my bedroom door. I didn’t recognize it, but I turned around anyway and smiled as if I did.

“Hey,” I said in the best happy voice that I could force out. Thank God I was almost a professional at imitations. “I haven’t seen you in a while.”

 “It’s me…it’s Stephanie.”

My smile disappeared.

“Oh, what do you want?” That cut on my side started aching.

“I saw the fight; I just wanted to make sure you were okay.” She paused. “You’re okay, right? I would’ve jumped in, but I couldn’t�"”

“I’m alright, Stephanie. Thanks for asking.” I turned to leave, but a hand grabbed me and yanked me back. “Don’t touch me.” I slapped her hand away.

“I’m sorry; I just really want to talk to you.” She sounded sincere. I knew better. “I miss you. I’ve been thinking about you.”

Was Raylin still here? Did she hear what Raylin was saying to me? Had it clicked that I was her girlfriend? “You miss me?”

“Dylan, let’s go,” Raylin whispered. She opened the door and hauled me inside. I smiled when I heard it slam shut and tried to imagine Stephanie’s face while she stood there, speechless. Of course, that was one thought that I couldn’t grasp. Mostly because I had never seen her face. I met her over a week ago, and she was already giving me unbearable grief.

“Sorry about that,” I said to Raylin. “It won’t happen again.”

“No need to apologize.” Stephanie said.

I scowled. “Why are you in here?” Last time she was in here, she forced herself on me. I didn’t want her back in here. I didn’t get to hear the answer to my question. I turned around to face her and something happened. Another flash. This one was different. It lasted longer. Three seconds at the most. It was blurred. Tanned skin, brown hair, and a green jogging suit. Then it ended.

“Is something wrong?” She asked.

Other than the fact that you won’t leave me alone?

“Raylin, are you there?” I asked.

“I’m right here, Dylan,” Someone grabbed my hand and lead me across the room. “But maybe you should listen to what Stephanie has to say. Whatever you’re mad at her for, it’s probably not worth it. You should see the look on her face. Just talk to her, I’ll be right here.” She whispered.

“You don’t know what she did to me. Don’t fall for that fucked up act, Raylin.” I dropped down on my bed and laid my head on my pillow. I rested my hand on my stomach, but I flinched from the pain.

“I can’t believe that guy actually did this to you.” Stephanie said. The way she said it made me laugh. Like she couldn’t believe someone could hurt me. Did she forget what she did to me? “Uh, Raylin, could you give us a few minutes?”

“She doesn’t have to leave,” I said.

“No,” Raylin said softly. “It’s okay; I’ll be back, Dylan.”

I felt her lips on my forehead. I bit my lip and turned towards the wall. The door opened, and then it shut. She was gone.

I could hear Stephanie pacing around the room, trying not to make any noise until she was sure of what she wanted to say. I could feel the tension.

“God, I swear if I ever get a hold of him�"”

“Don’t bother,” I said. “I think the police will deal with him before you can. Besides, it doesn’t matter, anyway. It didn’t hurt that bad.”

“That’s bullshit.”

“Stop acting like you care.”

The cut in my side felt like it was on fire, now. I reached down and ran my fingers across the stitches. My blood pressure was rising. Stephanie was the cause. She was literally the source of my pain right now.

“I do care,” She said slowly. “I care about you�"more than I should.”



© 2011 The Concealed Prince


Author's Note

The Concealed Prince
I just dabbled in this part. I was out of it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
1 Review
Added on July 18, 2011
Last Updated on July 18, 2011


Author

The Concealed Prince
The Concealed Prince

AL



About
Quiet boy. Creative Girl. Pride. I've got a lot on my mind. I let some of it out here. So, these stories, they're just a couple of things that bounce around in my head. more..

Writing