Happy Birthday, Melanie

Happy Birthday, Melanie

A Chapter by The Concealed Prince

Today’s the first day of summer, and the day Cooper and I were supposed to spend alone together. Half of it is right�"it is summer. But Cooper was nowhere to be found.

            I opened my phone and glared at the screen, furiously punching in her number and pressing it to my ear again as Xavier climbed in beside me, fumbling with the keys. The phone rang, over and over again as the car rumbled to life and we swerved into traffic, Xavier’s hands gripped the wheel tightly. His eyes jolted between the road and me. Cooper wasn’t picking up.

            My heart was literally beating out of my chest. My mind kept going back to the last words she said to me:

            “Happy…happy birthday, Melanie.”

            That was just fifteen minutes ago. I knew something was wrong immediately. Her voice sounded so slurred, so…distant. Another thing�"my birthday was four months ago.

            I pressed the button to roll down the window as we turn onto Cooper’s street.  I noticed someone leaning against a brick building. I knew by her long scarlet locks that it could only be Cooper. I didn’t even wait for Xavier to stop the car before I kicked the door open and sprinted to her.

            She’s alive.

            “Cooper? Cooper�"oh, God, she’s bleeding!” I breathed.

            Xavier kneeled beside me, his phone out, and one hand reaching up to push Cooper’s bangs away from her forehead.

            He started speaking with the phone to his ear, “We need an ambulance here!”

            I could see her eyes moving underneath her pale eyelids as if she were struggling to open them. I put my hand on her soft cheek. Her typically dazzling blue eyes were murky and I didn't really know if she was looking at me or not.

            I’d seen her in so many situations before, but none this bad. I knew sooner or later, her reckless ways would catch up. I hated her arrogant bravery. Now, here she was, unconscious in an alley. God, Cooper, why are you doing this to me?



© 2011 The Concealed Prince


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
Added on July 20, 2011
Last Updated on July 20, 2011


Author

The Concealed Prince
The Concealed Prince

AL



About
Quiet boy. Creative Girl. Pride. I've got a lot on my mind. I let some of it out here. So, these stories, they're just a couple of things that bounce around in my head. more..

Writing