Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by tori_writer

“Elie, wake up. It’s the first day of school. You have to look great” Elie moans and pulls her blanket over her head. Then the voice continues, “Get up! You have to give off a good impression. People will know who you are by how you dress, and we can’t let people think you are a slob.” Elie rolls over, and accidentally off of her bed onto the oak floors “Ahh!” then she sits up and rubs her head. Elie stands up, “Why does school even start this early. It should be illegal.” She says while she pulls on a pair of jeans. “It’s well known that waking up early diminishes your mental faculties, well into the afternoon.” The voice said. Elie looked confused by this, but just ignores it as she continues into her bathroom. The voice talks to her as she brushes her teeth, “You really should try to make more friends this year. It isn’t THAT hard. Just talk to people.” Elie stops brushing her teeth, and seems to look past her own reflection into the mirror, “Do you know how hard it is to make friends with you around?” then she shakes her head and keeps brushing. “Would you mind just shutting up today?” she asks. The voice responds sarcastically, “You know I am sooo, great at staying quiet. I would love to.” Elie pleas “Just for today? I really want to be normal for once. You do remember what happened at all the other schools,” The voice sighs, “ok, but only for today.” Elie smiles, “Thank you.”

            Elie is choosing between two different shirts when her mom calls from the front room, “Eleanor, are you ready to go?” Elie cringes at the use of her full name. The voice says quickly, “Pick the blue one. The other is too preppy.” Elie throws the other on the ground and pulls it over her head before running out her door and into the kitchen, where her mom is waiting. “Let’s go, you can’t be late today.” She pulls Elie outside and into the car. They drive off hastily. “Is it just me or has she gotten more stressed?” the voice says. Elie scowls, but doesn’t say anything. “I think she has. I mean, just look at her, she’s a mess.” It continues. Elie wants to defend her mother, but then notices that the voice is right, she looks awful. “Mom, are you ok?” Elie asks her mom, who is now speeding out of the neighborhood. “I’m fine, honey. Why?” she lies. Elie is concerned now, “Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. This one will be different, I promise.” She smiles, trying to reassure her mother. “Ok, it’ll be fine. You’ll do great.” A long silence fills the air. In times like this she wishes that the voice would talk. Her mom cuts through the dense noiselessness with her soothing voice that she has perfected over 16 years, “Now, I have told the counselors and they told the teachers.” Elie looks shocked, “Mom.” She whines. “It’s fine. They said they wouldn’t approach you about it. But they are always there to help. They…” Her mother’s voice is interrupted with the voice, “I am not an IT,” it sasses. Then Elie responds, while her mother is midsentence “Just shut up!” her mother stops, and blinks a bit, waiting for clarification. Elie sighs and rubs her head, “Sorry, that wasn’t you.” Her mom nods, “Should I wait or…”. “No, go ahead. It’s fine.” She looks back up at the road as the pull up to the school, “Thank you. Can I take the bus back?” her mom looks concerned. “Sure, whatever makes you happy.” She plasters on a fake smile. Elie shuts the door and walks up to the front doors, everyone else is going in the side. She steps into the office, “Ooo, this is nice. I like it. There’s a bit too much green, though.”  The voice says. Elie walks up to the desk. “Hello, I’m a new student.” She says to the stout secretary sitting in an ergonomic chair. “What’s the name?” her voice is soft, and quiet. Elie says quietly, “Eleanor Borman,” the lady nods and types a bit on her keyboard, then the printer behind her comes to life. It spits out three pages that the lady takes and gives to Elie as she stands up, “This one is a map. The next one is your schedule. And after that is names of teachers and counselors.” Elie nods, “Thank you,” the lady looks her over as she leaves the office. “She knows.” The voice says. “All the teachers know.” She whispers back.

            Elie takes her backpack and papers and attempts to read the map with the help of the voice. Eventually she gives up and walks up to a teacher in the hall. “Excuse me, I’m new here. Can you help me find the cafeteria?” he is a tall, thin man wearing khaki slacks and a lavender button down, with a black bow tie. “Yes, it’s down the hall and to the left.” His voice was surprisingly strong and deep for his body. Elie nods and walks off. She can hear a dull roar as she approaches two open double doors. It grows louder and louder as she gets closer. Until she can look inside to see a massive amount of people sitting at tables, all talking simultaneously. As she walks in it feels as if everyone stares at her. The voice, now barely audible, says to her “I have never seen this many people in one school.”

            Elie walks past everyone and up to the stage at the end of the room, where the majority of teachers, coaches, and professors are sitting and chatting. She stops at the end of the table closest to them, which is mostly empty, and sits down, trying to avoid people.  



© 2014 tori_writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on March 25, 2014
Last Updated on March 25, 2014


Author

tori_writer
tori_writer

Frisco, TX



About
I'm really just an amateur and I'm not that great, any feedback would be excellent and I would highly appreciate it. more..

Writing
Bad Men Bad Men

A Poem by tori_writer