4

4

A Chapter by titofantastic

It was the middle of the winter season. There had been at least four snowfalls. Enough to cover the rocky mountain sides. The morning suns only warmed the faces of those logged to work outside. It wasn't strong enough to melt the white wash away.
Ludo stood at the mouth of his cave leaning on his cane. The sun peaking from behind the distant mountain top, the cold, brisk air entering his lungs. He loved this. He cherished this. 
At his age, he knew this would be his last winter in this realm. He was ready to go to the Next. He just wasn't in a hurry. There were two tasks at hand. It was time to take care of both of them.
Ludo's cave was one of the openings higher up. Most of the mountain tribe dwelt near the middle of the rocky terrain. It was both a sign of respect and seniority for Ludo to be were he was. And now it was time to pass on his cave to another. 
He had sent his pappus down the snowy path to fetch the tribe leader's son, Akron. As Ludo enjoyed the cold and the distant song of a solitary snow bird, he could hear the heavy steps of his young pappus coming back up the path. Probably ten steps behind him Ludo sensed the careful, soft, deliberate steps of Akron.
Back in the cave, Ludo sat on a stack of mats and bags of feathers. He settled in and lit his pipe. "He is here, NaDor," the young boy entered the cave. He always addressed Ludo with the High Healer moniker. It was a sign of respect, obedience and awe.
Ludo nodded and waved the young boy to go back down the path. The young one knew now to carry out the second set of orders and would return shortly.
Then Akron Surefoot stepped into the cave. Akron bowed, subtly. He knew that the old man was nearly blind and that the gesture would be sensed more than seen.
"Sit, my boy, sit."
Akron ignored the other stack of mats and knelt in front of Ludo. Ludo laughed in between puffs, "Not so serious, Akron. Please, sit."
Akron dragged another feather bag and leaned on it. The purplish grey smoke swirled and danced in his nostrils and eyes. He had been around the NaDor's pipe before. He had grown a tolerance to its intoxicating effects. But he did savor the sweet pungent smell.
Akron had entered Midlife. He was strong. He was observant. He was respectful. And all of this was not for show. Was not for position. It was genuine.  
"You have many bothers, Akron," Ludo began, "You have many brothers through out our tribe. You are not the oldest. You are not the youngest. But you are the best suited." Ludo's words were carefully chosen. He was methodical and deliberate in his delivery. He knew he was down to the last few words he would utter in this realm.
Akron lowered his head. 
"Although you are by far the humblest of warriors, I know there is a part of you that is awaiting and expecting to be chosen for the journey."
It was true. Akron had never sought a position in leadership but knew that he carried himself in a way that would bring that honor to him. But Ludo's words were cryptic. 
"I have had dreams, Akron, since the first snow fall. They are so real I can not shake free of them even in the light of day. I have struggled. I have questioned. And in the end, I must surrender to them." Ludo reached behind the mats and pulled the sacred NaDor amulet out.
Akron pushed his black long hair back behind his ears. He was not expecting this. He was not sure how he was going to respond. He breathed. He calmed himself.
"You have trained, Akron. You have taken the path of a warrior. And who is to say that was not the right way for you. But like I said, I have to surrender to what I believe is the destiny of our people." Ludo stretched out his bony arm toward's Akron. In his hand was the jade amulet carved with the mountain people's symbol. "My son, I know you were expecting the ring of the next heir," Ludo was almost in tears, "But I hope you trust this very old NaDor and accept the position of head healer."
Akron starred at the necklace. He was speechless. He had thought for sure that he would be chosen as his father's replacement in the tribe. He had no training in medicine and the healing arts. He only knew a handful of prayers and even those he did not know entirely. 
Ludo's arm began to waiver in mid air. Finally Akron took the amulet into his own hands and pressed it against his chest. "I know nothing," Akron's voice was deep but broken. Unsure. "I know nothing of the ways of a NaDor. I know nothing except to trust you my old friend."
With those words, Ludo sighed in relief and a tear escaped him. "Thank you." He shifted in his seat and continued, "I feel like the Next is coming sooner than I anticipated. I will not be able to train you or even impart small tokens of wisdom. Had I wished that these dreams had come to me many years ago so I could properly prepare you. Alas, your heart will know what to do."
At the mouth of the cave came the young pappus again. "She is here," he announced and went towards the back of the cave.
Ludo patted Akron on his knee as a sign to stay where he was. He whispered, "If you think that was difficult."
In walked Yariel. She looked around the cave inquisitively. She had never been inside the NaDor's dwelling. Females rarely did. Her hands and face were dirty from gardening, and she awkwardly bowed. She was unsure of protocol. 
Then she realized Akron was in the cave. He was sitting next to the Nador. She eyed him. They had spoken a few brief times. Any hope of him giving her a clue as to what was going on vanished when Akron lowered his head solemnly.
"Please, come forward, Yariel Dustborne. Sit, sit."
Yariel half knelt down and then just plopped herself in front of the NaDor.
"My daughter," Ludo sounded weaker. "I do not have time for elaborate introductions and even the opportunity to give you context."
As Ludo spoke, something deep inside Yariel stirred. As if the old man's words reached into a darkness carrying light.
"Just know I have had dreams that I can not disobey." Ludo reached again behind his mats and pulled a small wooden box out. "There must not be hesitation for time is short. I imagine it was planned like this to minimize the second guessing the heart and mind tend to do."
Ludo opened the box. Yariel looked in. Akron watched. "Some may say this is the final act of a crazed old man. But I am as clear in mind as when I first took this position." He took out the red metal ring with it's hammered indentations and imperfect circle. "This is to be yours."
Yariel gasped. She was unsure if it was out of horror, surprise or disbelief. All she knew was that it was not out of delight or excitement. She did not know much about the intricate details and history of the rituals of the mountain tribe, but she knew about the ring.
Sensing she was about to protest, Ludo spoke again,"Your journey starts now, Yariel. The ring is a seal to the people who have welcomed you into their tribe. But if they do not accept you, you must still be on your way."
All Yariel could muster was one word: "Where?"
"Your heart will know." Ludo placed the ring in her hand. He leaned over and pressed his dry lips against her forehead. As a silent prayer, all three in the cave closed their eyes. "Your heart will know," he repeated one last time.
Ludo leaned back against his mats closed his eyes and breathed. He reached over to Akron who held his hand until the old NaDor drifted into the Next.


© 2017 titofantastic


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on April 25, 2017
Last Updated on April 25, 2017


Author

titofantastic
titofantastic

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by titofantastic


2 2

A Chapter by titofantastic


3 3

A Chapter by titofantastic