Do We Really Need Education?

Do We Really Need Education?

A Poem by Ricky Campbell

As a kid my parents preached education was a key to success 
As did my priests, teachers, coaches, and janitors 
But who ever knew it could cause so much stress
12 years of our lives spent sitting behind a desk
Which most of the time is helpful, but what about the rest?
There are people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates with no college education
But combined make more money than most of our nation
Knowing this, many take high school for granted and drop out
Well that really sucks
Because most of us don't have a great skill and a lot of luck
They end up in factories or on the side of the street
Just because they were too impatient to stay in their seat
Those of us who wait have a higher success rate
but you have to wait 2,4,7 or 8 years longer
The longer you stay, the higher the rate you have of doing great
But at the same time, you unnoticeably dig a deeper and deeper hole
One you won't fill back up again until you're too old
Some people lose hope, and stay at the bottom their whole life
Others scratch and claw at the wall only to see themselves fall
The ones who stay longer fill it up quicker and quicker
Shoving in more and more dirt making it thicker
But why do we even start this?
To be happy but are we really?
Too busy filling the hole we lose our sense of feeling
I want to be happy, this is my goal
And I’ll find my own way, I don't care what I'm told.

© 2015 Ricky Campbell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Riv
It's funny, the actual people who created school was prussia and it was a form of mind control to brain wash young men into being obedient soldiers who wouldn't question their authorities. I love this poem because it shows us all sides of how most people feel about education. Those who don't want it are still getting it, and those who are too poor and want it so badly aren't getting it at all. I'm just about to graduate I'm a month and a half away from graduating high school and I plan to go to college. Because ultimately I don't have strong labor skills to handle going off on my own. I also enjoy learning and hope it will be much better than high school, 8-12 more years of school. And I will fight and struggle, and claw my way through. Thank you for writing this poem, sorry for the long review.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think this to time to time.
Well done!
Keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


yea Education is a key to success, and it plays quite a good deal in our life. Education doesn't always have to mean sitting in a class because every day we are learning something new, either on the streets or in class. A lot of us don't make use of the education system though, but that's life, we're all given choices.

Very nice poem, All the best with your writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Education is shmeducation. I went through grad school, high school, preuniversity, university and honestly, 10% of what I learned served me, maybe even less. And all these years of stress and hard work did not really pay off, because real education is lived through life. If we could only be taught things that are truly useful. But unfortunately employers value candidates with diplomas, so it does give us some leverage. But I am sure one can accomplish anything even without formal education just like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates did.

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
~
Well yes we do. I do not think there are other outlets for the youth to gain what they need for a future that we do not even know what kind of jobs will offer. An uneducated nation is a nation that will never prosper. No matter how boring it may sound right now to study things that you think you will never need in life, you have to remember that Rome was not built in a day :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


I like the message you have with this. Yeah you dig a hole of debt if you go to college, but I think it's worth it. Of course, that's just my opinion. For writers, you don't necessarily have to go to college but it's helpful so that you can essentially run your work through a fine-tooth comb without having to rely on an editor to do it for you.

Anyways! lol. I like how this is very through provoking. It's 9am here, a time that normally has me drinking coffee still, until I can be awake enough to form a coherent though lol. So this is really good. I don't like the line "well that really sucks". It sticks out like a sore thumb to me...It does suck, but I'm not sure that line fits well where you have it or how you have it written. Overall, a great piece though. It's always cool when you can make people think and create a discussion like this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Except for some A's and The's all is good with the write up.. but education is actually important for any person.. The system does needs some improvements but a handful of names can never substitute the entire education system..

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Riv
It's funny, the actual people who created school was prussia and it was a form of mind control to brain wash young men into being obedient soldiers who wouldn't question their authorities. I love this poem because it shows us all sides of how most people feel about education. Those who don't want it are still getting it, and those who are too poor and want it so badly aren't getting it at all. I'm just about to graduate I'm a month and a half away from graduating high school and I plan to go to college. Because ultimately I don't have strong labor skills to handle going off on my own. I also enjoy learning and hope it will be much better than high school, 8-12 more years of school. And I will fight and struggle, and claw my way through. Thank you for writing this poem, sorry for the long review.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a beautiful write. And people keep telling us to follow a path, however, if we keep following the footsteps of others who is going to lead? Who is going to be the difference and rise above all?
This line of your's is just amazing -
"I want to be happy, this is my goal
And I’ll find my own way, I don't care what I'm told."

Posted 9 Years Ago


You have given a meaningful message in this poem: go for what you reach for.

Posted 9 Years Ago


People like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are exceptions to the rule but no matter how you look at it, the are still educated, just not formally educated, self-educated. Learning can happen in many different untraditional forms. Knowledge is important, so is school.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1062 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 13, 2015
Last Updated on March 13, 2015
Tags: education, money, rich, happy

Author

Ricky Campbell
Ricky Campbell

Portage, MI



About
I am a 16 year old teen from a calm, quiet city. I have aspirations of publishing a book of poetry before I graduate high school, and would appreciate any feed back and tips! Also, if you would like m.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Babylon Babylon

A Poem by Ana B.


I'm Sorry I'm Sorry

A Poem by Cool Girl