Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by TheNightStalker

Chapter #7 - The Nuremberg Rally


Stepping out of a Mercedes and into a crowd of identically dressed men. Identically dressed men fill this giant hall while adulation as we passed through a a passionately cheering crowd. While taking a moment to gather my place and amongst the crowd, I notice everyone turn towards a rather unimposing yet strangely impressive character flanked an entourage.  As they continue down the isle between those gathered, the cheers and salutes only grow louder. 


As they approach Alfred, Micah and myself, it becomes clear who the deceptively impressive figure was - The self-proclaimed “Fuhrer.” For a moment I thought of all the barber shop debates I would hear about the rise of the new movement in Germany and here I am at the forefront of this revolution. “What is he going to say?” I wondered. “What did he have in store?”

 

I find myself enjoying a tiny piece of humor in the moment as I wonder what the National Socialist’s would blame the Jewish population for. Ever since I arrived they had blamed them for every problem the nation was suffering and if they weren’t blamed for it, it was the rise of the communism and its followers across Europe. 


As we took our place upon an a stage overlooking endless columns of men armed with shovels instead of rifles, I wondered what I was about to be subjected to. Not only have I always found humor in the he waved his arms around but how he always looked as if he was on the brink of an aneurysm before he was even half way through. Red faced and covered in sweat, how could someone yell so much and so often and not have already suffered a stroke?


Now he stood before his devout followers and myself for the commencement of the coming events. After gathering himself he began talking in a manner that sounded like a near silent mumble. My German was rusty but I knew enough to here understood what was being said.  


He began with reminding everyone about how over the past year of the success his government had achieved. If there was one thing that I knew was certain, Whatever he had promised the German people - It became reality. Everything from the economic recovery to the shredding of the constitution or “consolidation of power” as he put it.


Singling out the German workers that had driven the nations miraculous economic recovery and how this was the dawn of a new life. How many thought what they had achieved was impossible but now they have emerged as a new and triumphant culture. All the while blaming the previous leadership for all of the nations short comings after the war.


I began to wonder if they ever took accountability for anything if it could interpreted badly, even remotely. Since I had arrived in Germany, people seemed to think that all of the nations problems at the time were because of the Jewish population, Communists or the previous leadership that had betrayed them in 1918. But even now with the country on the rise as a world power one would think all those so called issues would be put behind them. But I could not help but admire the power Hitler spoke about in the German people to turn the nation’s fortunes around. From a crumbling economy one year to an emerging world power the next. 


The power he could transfer from himself to all of those around him was almost intoxicating. Just listening to his opening speech I felt inspired although it had almost no relevance to me personally. Speaking of how every individual works for the betterment of their nation, representing an ideal that every citizen is not working towards personal wealth but a much greater national wealth.

That the labor that the workers endure during this unprecedented depression would no longer divide the German people and that it would be a cause for unity in the coming time. He promised the labor front that that physical labor was as important as any other profession and that one day they would serve and the pillar of all German society in the new order as one day every individual must serve their nation in some physical capacity to gain acceptance into society. This was an unveiling as he put it, of the workers who would build the future he continually promised unto Greater Germany.


Until now I had simply thought of Hitler and his regime as a collection of overly angry psychotics who blamed all of the country’s past failures on a minority of people. It seemed like typical bullying behaviour. But this instance made me reconsider. Maybe my father might actually like it here, the working class being the pride of a nation is something he would appreciate. It made me think that if home adopted a similar appreciation then perhaps he wouldn’t have deteriorated the way that he had.


Once a proud labourer, the great depression seemed to manifest physically when it took a hold of its mind. He was already grieving when my mother passed but when his job fell apart, it only compounded his grief. With each passing day he became less of my father and more just a random alcoholic sitting in the local bar. Perhaps if his own country regarded him as a gate keeper to society, he might have had some sense of pride as a labourer rather than feeling worthless and helpless.


Removing myself from the reverie I found myself in as my interest in the proceedings grew. When the concept that this rally would be a presentation not to those in attendance but to greater Germany also, captured my interest. The ability to communicate a single message to an entire population in its entirety astounded me. Perhaps one day I could be part of such an endeavour. 


But now in this moment I found my self captivated by what lay before me. Despite what I had seen previously, there was something about what was being said that made me feel involved. A place where those from humble beginnings would be the most important persons of a society seemed like a place that I could call home. If I had not of seen some of the atrocities that I had leading up to this, I may have become a devout believer in this cause.


Our entourage took it’s leave and departed the proceedings. Climbing back into our Mercedes, I could only wonder how I would explain my sudden change of heart to Gabrielle. From seeing what I considered to be a movement of depraved indifference towards those who stood in the way of their so called thousand year reich, to promoting those had suffered the most in this economic depression as the cure to the nations woes.


“Perhaps I’ll see how the rest of the rally turns out before I make a final judgment” I mumbled to myself. I chose to follow group of SS members back to a hotel rather than going back to Alfred’s Villa so that I could decide upon my stance on the current circumstances in which I found myself. Numerous bottles of complimentary champagne was the only way I could find solace in this black hole of conflicting opinion I found myself in.



After celebrating into the night I could not distract myself from wondering what tomorrow would bring, what the Fuhrer would say next. Retreating to my hotel room and looking over the city and enjoying the night lights as I pondered what the next day would bring. Perhaps the veil of Patriotism and Self-Determination would fall and in doing so unmask the evil that lay beneath. Only tomorrow held the answers I sought.


Staring into the night sky from the balcony of my room, my thoughts consisted entirely of two subjects, Gabrielle and Micah. A thought for the one I loved and another for the one that I could not understand. One represented a desire to leave my past behind and focus entirely on my future, the other left me wondering what would come next. One moment I felt that despite my troubled upbringing was something that I could leave behind, the next I was overwhelmed with feelings uncertainty.


The stars in unison with the city lights provided no clarity to my dilemma. The only respite that I could find lied within my own willingness to see out the proceedings of the rally. Coming into this event, I thought that I knew exactly what would be said. Anti-Semetic propaganda and the so called supremacy of the Arien race. However thus far there had been no mention of such delusions.


Turning to stare across to the next balcony, I noticed someone I had hoped to forget. The same SS soldier I had run into years prior. Now I noticed something different, he was now an officer. Perhaps that meant I would encounter him again in the remaining days of the rally. But for now I put it out of my mind and simply turned back to admiring the view with a glass of scotch in hand.


When I realised the time, I knew that i had better get some sleep for I had another big day ahead of me. For now I could lay this uniform to rest. Although the stylish appeal of the black with silver lining appealed to me, the uncertainty of what it would come to represent left me with more questions than answers. I thought that I had seen the National Socialist regime for nothing but organised crime in government, but todays proceedings had left me doubting that conviction. All I knew is that the coming days will hopefully bring the answers I seek.


The Nuremberg Rally - Day #2


As I woke on yet another sunny day to knock was on my hotel door, Micah came bounding in with limitless enthusiasm. “Get dressed Bobby!” “ The Fuhrer is waiting” He said with the same excitement of the crowds of yesterday. Dressed entirely in the SS uniform, he was not alone as he came in with the last person I would have expected. While I struggled to shed the haze of intoxication, I feel differently in my preconceptions about today.


From doubt and considerable loathing to curiosity and a mild sense of admiration. The power that Hitler spoke with and the devotion to the working class made me feel that this place would be ideal for my father. There was no other nation that I could think of that seemed so dedicated to protecting it’s laborers. If he ever managed to get of prison, then perhaps I could bring him over here.


Returning my thoughts to the present as I donned the SS uniform once again I listened Micah still talking with his apparent undying devotion.  From a kid who once rejected National Socialism and everything that it proclaimed to being arguably it’s biggest advocate. Whether his father’s approval meant that much to him or simply that he was a patriot at heart or even both, here was a far cry from the friend who protested and mocked the current government.


As we left for the rally and stepped into a shiny Mercedes once again. En route to the rally once again, I could not help but take a brief moment to enjoy the fabricated status I was maintaining. Crowds already adorning streets to salute to our procession. Despite my reservations about what this uniform represents, I embraced the cheers of the crowd. My preconceptions of the previous day had vanished.   


For the time being I am completely engulfed in the cause. National Pride, The betterment of oneself, How could one not be a follower of National Socialism?. Perhaps they were too focused on one cause when there were more important issues at hand, but the betterment of the nation was something I could not help but support, especially when my home country as so divided in opinion of world affairs.


Of course the SA would have their turn to speak. I could not help but find amusement in how they were still in existence given the how they betrayed the nation and should have been removed. Treason back home was something that would have been met by the swiftest of punishment and I could not help but feel as if they had not gotten but what they deserved. 


Their leader was not but a figure head of a once powerful predator now a tamed by the nations true leader. The Fuhrer had shown the people that he would be the one who lead them into the future. Not a group of armed revolutionaries, but a leadership who carefully planned the evolution of a society from a country of dissatisfied patriots to a nation of individuals united behind a cause unlike any other.


Right or wrong, just or unjust. The Fuhrer had united a nation with a fervor that the world had not seen prior. Not even my home country had been able to generate such a turn around. From the great depression to the prospects of unprecedented prosperity, all it needed was space in which to grow. Where would it find such space, I do not know. However, it had scores to settle with everyone of it’s neighbors.


Gabrielle and I would have ample opportunity to enjoy such a plan. Not only us, but for generations to come. The beauty of Dresden and the Culture of Berlin should be preserved for all time. Now I return from my distraction to focus on what lies before me and much like the crowd before me, I am completely captivated by the proceedings. 


Perhaps being from a land a far has gifted me the ability to withdraw from the moment and regain my objectivity. Despite whether or not one agree with the presentation before me, I cannot help but argue with the opportunity that it does present for so many. Regardless of the madness that it may present in all reality, if it could help my father’s situation then it has my support.


But I could not forget what I had seen prior to my attendance on this day. Of course I might believe in the potential in the Fuhrer’s promises, but it’s success still seemed impossible to attain. The world was in a state of flux right now and being at the forefront of, I felt that his promises were that of the temptation of the devil. The dark side of his policies that I had already witnessed, outweighed the promises that were still nothing but hopes and dreams.


Should they become a reality, perhaps then my opinion may change. Until that day comes, all that I can judge these promises on is what I have seen already. One cannot deny that they may have gathered a sliver of my sympathy with these promises if perhaps they could set a precedent that could reward honest civil servants like my father but until that day comes this speech and its content were nothing but a pipe dream.


Yet now his talks turn towards the Youth of Germany, or the Hitler Youth as so they have been conditioned to believed. Sacrificing oneself for their nation is not a concept that is foreign to be, even in a capitalist and democratic society we practice such beliefs. The representation of our nations cause, its beliefs and agenda do we support until our dying breath. 


This belief that he is attempting to instill within the youth of his nation is not far different from that of back home in the United States. Patriotism is a powerful tool to unite a people as I had already seen and now it was being used again. Regret takes hold of me when I only wish that I could have taken a stronger sense of belonging before I left America, but Gabrielle had filled that void and now Germany for some bizarre reason had become my home.


A society without classes or ranks within our society is a concept unfathomable.



© 2016 TheNightStalker


Author's Note

TheNightStalker
This chapter isnt finished but still any feedback would be great! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am really enjoying this story, the characters are very captivating. the details of his thoughts and feelings are truly felt. I like how the story is being told through the thoughts of the Grandfather. I will continue to watch for the rest of the story that I am eager to read... Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I am really enjoying this story, the characters are very captivating. the details of his thoughts and feelings are truly felt. I like how the story is being told through the thoughts of the Grandfather. I will continue to watch for the rest of the story that I am eager to read... Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
1 Review
Added on May 11, 2016
Last Updated on May 11, 2016
Tags: world war 2, love story, historical fiction, germany, nazi, reflecting, military, holocaust, life, love, history


Author

TheNightStalker
TheNightStalker

Chandler, AZ



Writing
Intro Intro

A Chapter by TheNightStalker


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by TheNightStalker


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by TheNightStalker