Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by TheNightStalker

Chapter #1 - 1933


It was just like any other day. Sitting at the front desk and processing the loans and returns that came through. Just after lunch time as I was placing a pile of books on a trolley in order to return them to their rightful places, I noticed a young girl walk in. I could not help but be curious about her as we did not get many girls her age coming through here especially at this time of day. Although she seemed to know exactly what she was after I found myself running excuses to approach her running through my head. 


“If you follow me I’ll take you out the back into the office and give you a few other books” I suggested. “Why?” She asked. “What’s in them?” 

“More accurate records of the towns history and other books that we don’t let people normally borrow” I said.

She seemed hesitant at first but eventually agreed. “I’m pretty sure I have need here but it might help”

I lead her out back past the curator’s office and into the store room where I showed her the collections kept from display. It contained rare works from some of the world’s greatest writers.


After awhile I think she new why I was being so nice to her but she seemed to continue with what she was doing without making it obvious. When she seemed to be settled in I left the room telling her I’d be in the office if she needed anything. I heard a voice call out to me as I walked out. “Gabrielle”. I turned around slowly and paused. “My name is Gabrielle” She repeated. Inside I felt a warmth that I had never felt before consume me.  “Nice to meet you Gabrielle, I’m James.” I answered happily. 


I left to complete some of the daily paperwork before closing. When I let her out she promised to have all the books back by tomorrow but I told her not to worry. I could keep it off the curators radar for at least the next few days. She thanked me for all my help and continued on her way. I went back to the office to process what had just occurred. My curiosity had been running wild ever since she walked into the library. Concentrating on paperwork provided no relief to my situation. I thought that if I retreated to my little apartment overlooking the river I might find some answers.


I remember being stopped by a few Nazi thugs on my way home wanting to know why I was in such a hurry. I told them a story about how I was late to a meeting with a few fellow party members and just gave them the proper salute and before long I was on my way again. I could never stand them and not just what they represented. Unlike some people in town I saw through all the promises of glory and wealth into the evil that the Nazi’s were. 


Maybe it was being an foreigner on their shores that gave me a different perspective or not having to live through the mockery that was the Treaty of Versailles. That was probably the only aspect of their lunacy that I agreed with. All their Anti-Semitic hatred to me seemed to be that of a fool who can never look at his own personal failures and always looks to blame others. But I often thought if I were forced to live under those conditions for so long it might make me susceptible to the spiel of a mad man like Hitler.


When I returned to my apartment I poured myself a beer and proceeded to the roof to contemplate the day I had just had. There seemed to be something that separated this young girl from the girls that I knew back home. She seemed to be more sophisticated, intelligent and mature. That wasn’t what had grabbed my attention however. Her attractiveness was undeniable but still it wasn’t that either. I knew from then is something I must discover in order to put my mind at ease. I went to bed that evening with so much excitement and anticipation of the next day that I barely got any sleep. 


The next day provided me with a bit more clarity when she came in to return the books. She seemed so upbeat and happy that I just wanted to drop what I was doing and spend time with her. She thanked me for all my help and said that the material I leant her was fantastic. I told her if she ever needs another favor that I’d be happy to help her out. 


As I returned from placing the books back where they belonged I noticed that she was still standing at the counter. “My friends and I are going to the local cabaret tonight if you would like to join us” She offered. I paused thinking that if I said yes I would be diving head first into  a pool of water where I could not see the bottom. Without too much thought I just said yes as my initial hesitation vanished when I looked at her a second time. “I don’t really have anything to wear but I’ll manage something” I said jokingly. After a laugh she told me to be at her house around 8pm. 


As she walked out, the curator returned from lunch and saw me watching her leave. “I’ve got my sons tuxedo if you want it” He suggested. “He’s about your age and you should be around the same size.” I told him thanks but I wouldn’t have the time but he said I can have the rest of the day off to prepare and that he would call his wife and tell her to lend me the tuxedo. “I haven’t seen a look like that since I met my wife during the Great War.” He laughed. “What look?” I wondered. He said nothing more as he returned to his office and shut the door. 


I spent the next half an hour pondering over my decision to accept her offer but knew it was too late to back out. I returned to the back room to make sure everything was in order to prevent the curator from finding out what I had done. All the records were intact and the boxes looked just as undisturbed as they did before I removed them. I grabbed my bag and proceeded to tell the Curator thanks for all his help. He told me his wife would be expecting me within the hour so I had better be on my way and that he looked forward to hearing about it tomorrow morning when I come in.


Upon my arrival at his home I was greeted by his wife who simply said “So this is the young American boy Ernst tells me is in love with Oscar’s daughter. For one of the few times in my life I had no idea how I could answer and simply stood there as if I hadn’t been spoken too. “I’m only teasing you” She continued. 

“My husband and her father used to be the best of friends until those evil fascists took over. Her father wrote a few articles about the evil that they represent and they pretty much forced him to flee to America.” She said as she handed me the tuxedo. I thanked her for all her help and promised to be the perfect gentleman. “I know you will” She joked again. 



© 2016 TheNightStalker


Author's Note

TheNightStalker
Any feedback would be great

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great chapter dude. I truly enjoyed it. The story relaxed me and loved every bit of it. Keep it up can't wait to read more

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 11, 2016
Last Updated on May 11, 2016
Tags: world war 2, love story, historical fiction, germany, nazi, reflecting, military, holocaust, life, love, history


Author

TheNightStalker
TheNightStalker

Chandler, AZ



Writing
Intro Intro

A Chapter by TheNightStalker


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by TheNightStalker


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by TheNightStalker