Chapter 2 (one year later)

Chapter 2 (one year later)

A Chapter by A.L.Exley

Loki strutted through the palace halls in his father’s disguise, marveling at how great things had worked out. Thor was off with Jane, Odin wasn’t coming back anytime soon, and most of the other staff in the palace were too dim-witted to notice anything awry. Honestly, he didn’t really care about ruling the realm, but that was better than having a King who didn’t care about being a good ruler. To Loki, everything was right, he had all the time in the world, and now all he had to do was figure out what to do with it. Of course, his father never seemed to do anything, so there probably wasn’t much for him to worry about.

Rounding a corner, he almost collided with a girl, who immediately bowed her head and held her fist to her chest.

“Forgive me, my King,” she said.

“Ah, Lady Sif,” Odin said. “... at ease.”

Unsure of what else to say, he sidestepped around her and continued down the hall, but to his horror, Sif followed.

“I was meaning to inquire about your plans for Alfheim,” she said.

“Of course… what’s wrong with Alfheim?”

Sif watched him close enough to make him uneasy. “A war is starting between three territories… as we discussed in the last meeting.”

Odin chuckled. “Ah. You’ll have to forgive me. It slipped this old man’s spoiled mind.”

Unfortunately, Sif was as serious as ever. “Have you thought of a solution, my King?”

Loki had not been at all aware of the situation in Alfheim. Even if he hadn’t been left to rot in prison, it probably would have never come up in casual conversation. Thankfully, as Volstagg used to joke, he had a silver tongue.

“I have indeed put forward a lot of thought and decided the best course of action is to put you in charge of military action.”

Sif blinked. “Me?”

Odin gently grabbed her shoulder. “Lady Sif, no soul in this realm has more of my trust. Countless times have you proved your greatness in battle. You are all Asgard needs to bring peace to Alfheim.”

“What about you, my King?”

“As much as I desire to lend my aid, I have many more needs to attend to. The palace and Bifrost must be rebuilt from the Dark Elf attack, and… overall I am outrageously busy. Not to mention… I am still mourning the loss of my son.”

Loki silently laughed at the biggest lie he’s ever told.

Sif nodded, but her narrow eyes gave away her suspicion. “Very well, my King.”

“Take all the time you need, Lady Sif,” Odin said. “And I recommend taking the Warriors Three with you, not that you need help, but perhaps they can be better used there. Asgard is in safe hands.”

“Oh, that’s not necessary, they’re busy helping rebuild the palace. I have plenty of help at my disposal.”

“Ah, but-”

“Good day, my King,” Sif said, leaving.

Loki groaned. He didn’t need people around who were close to the royal family, who might be able to tell if Odin wasn’t acting like himself. At least he managed to get Sif away, whose wits came dangerously close to his own. The other three… well, he could probably get away with his disguise around them. They were Thor’s friends, after all.

Before he could get a break, he was approached by another guard.

“My King, the young girl is waiting in the throne room,” he said.

Odin froze. “... a young girl?”

The guard nodded. “The one you’ve met with once a week for the past year, sir.”

Loki couldn’t believe what he heard. Sure, his father hadn’t been a pure-hearted ruler, but this seemed an awfully low, even for him. Nevertheless, Loki could do some right by sending the poor girl home.

When he walked into the throne room, he was shocked to see how young the girl was. She was practically a child!

The girl smiled. “Hello, All-Father.”

He admitted she was pretty, but she couldn’t have been more than twenty years old. It made him feel a lot better about leaving Odin in an old folk home on earth.

“Good morning,” he said, taking a small step forwards.

“So I’ve been practicing as you said, but I haven’t gotten any better.”

Loki noticed how she talked like a Midgardian, with only created more questions. “Practicing?”

“Yeah… the spell we went through last week…”

So, Odin was teaching her magic? But how can she have magic if she came from Earth? All-Father, what have you done?

“I keep trying, and breaking things. They were all my things, don’t worry! I’m getting better at focusing but I can’t… channel it. It’s like-” She waved her hand, and suddenly there was a loud snap as a crack appeared on a nearby pillar. The girl put a hand to her mouth. “I am so sorry! I lost control of it again.”

“Don’t worry, child,” Odin said, moving to sit in his throne. He was a lot more relaxed now after realizing the girl wasn’t here for what he originally feared. “Magic takes a lot of practice, but like all things, you simply must put forth the effort and time to master it. For now, I recommend you keep practicing.”

“You don’t have a new lesson today?”

“Afraid not. The day has been long for me and there is much to be done. Go home and continue your practice.”

The girl nodded. “Will we still meet next week?”

“Yes,” Loki lied.

After the girl left, Loki leaned forward in the throne, thinking. There was no way this girl could come back as it might just ruin his cover. He couldn't take chances, he would have to do the same thing he did to Odin and warp her memories as soon as possible.



© 2019 A.L.Exley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on January 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 21, 2019
Tags: marvel, fanfic, norsemythology, humor, frienship, loki


Author

A.L.Exley
A.L.Exley

MN



About
I believe stories are one of the most important things in life, whether they take the form of books, movies, or pictures. A story is in insight into someone else's mind, offering an escape from our ow.. more..

Writing
Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by A.L.Exley


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by A.L.Exley