Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by A.L.Exley

“I don’t need an active search party,” Loki said as Odin to the guards around the table. “He isn’t dangerous, but if he dares to step foot in the palace, you are to immediately imprison him. He’s not to be trusted, either. I’m afraid Loki may have placed him under a spell to commit treason.”

The guards gave their salute and dispersed. Loki respected Heimdall, he was as powerful and noble as Thor, but with the added benefit of wisdom. Not only was he able to break free of Loki’s ice attack, but he single-handedly destroyed an entire Dark Elf ship. He was a great guardian of Asgard, but Loki could not have him around and revealing his secret. No doubt, being able to practically see everything, Heimdall already knew what he had done to the real Odin. Luckily, Heimdall also had no intention of being caught, as he could do little to protect Asgard from inside a prison cell, so he stayed hidden.

That meant Loki had to hire a new guard to oversee the Bifrost. It had to be someone with good fighting skills, but also someone willing to follow commands without question. So he went to the throne room to speak with the interviewee’s one by one.

“So tell me, what makes you wish to protect Asgard?” Odin asked.

The man was scrawny and wore peasant clothes. Loki thought he was probably a miner or farmer of some sort.

“Well, my King… honestly, I just need the money. We’re down to one donkey now and… I don’t have much experience fighting, but I can swing a scimitar.”

Loki nodded. “Brilliant. I think that’s all I needed to hear at the moment.”

The next person to come in was a girl dressed completely in black, who stood stiffly with her arms crossed before the throne.

“What would you say are your strengths?” Loki asked.

“I like to kill stuff,” she replied in a monotone voice.

“Ah… and your weaknesses?”

There was a long pause. “Sometimes I don’t kill things fast enough.”

“Believe it or not, I can understand. We’ll send a letter regards to the job within a few days.”

By the end of the day, Loki was considering going back to Heimdall and trying to bribe him to keep the secret in exchange for returning to his position. Most of the people who came in were either good fighters but too noble, or people who had never lifted a sword before.

One of the final candidates walked in, a burly man with dark tattoos stretched over his bald head. Loki thought he looked slightly familiar.

“Good evening, my King,” he said kneeling before Odin.

“What makes you interested in this position?” Loki asked, struggling to hide the boredom in his voice.

“Well, I’ve had plenty of experience fightin’. I would be truly honored to help guard the Bifrost.”

Loki’s attention returned, thinking he finally had something to work with.

“How are you with following orders?”

“Never been much of a problem for me. Been followin’ orders me whole life.”

“Excellent,” Odin said, standing. “Many soldiers boast about their skills in battle, but they think their muscles give them the authority to ignore the chain of command, the backbone of proper defense.”

“I gladly follow orders if it gives me a chance to prove me self.”

Odin nodded. “And indeed you will, for the guardian of the Bifrost is one of the most important positions in our kingdoms. What is your name?”

The man stood a bit straighter. “Skurge.”

“Well, congratulations. You can start right away. The Bifrost sword is waiting for you. I just have one small request.”

“Yes, my King?”

“If my son should return, you are to notify me right away.”

“Of course, sir.” With a quick bow, Skurge headed out to the Bifrost.

Loki let out a breath, falling back into the throne. It had been surprisingly difficult to find a decent Bifrost guard, but he had managed to do so. His task was done, so maybe now he could take time to relax.

A guard stepped into the hall. “My King.”

Odin quickly removed his feet from the armrest of the throne. “Yes.”

“There is a commotion in the marketplace. Someone started a fire. The people claim it was a young girl.”

Loki bit back the groan in his throat. It was the last thing he needed to hear.

“Would you like us to collect her?” the guard asked.

“No, no need. I’ll handle it.”

Loki got the sneaking suspicion that this girl was going to be a bigger problem than he originally thought.



© 2019 A.L.Exley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on January 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 21, 2019
Tags: marvel, fanfic, norsemythology, humor, frienship, loki


Author

A.L.Exley
A.L.Exley

MN



About
I believe stories are one of the most important things in life, whether they take the form of books, movies, or pictures. A story is in insight into someone else's mind, offering an escape from our ow.. more..

Writing
Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by A.L.Exley