Prologue: Names

Prologue: Names

A Chapter by words a la carte
"

A rose by any other name...or so the quote goes

"
I try to remember sometimes what my real name was. But it's a lost memory, that is if I ever did know it. Whatever my parents had called me when I was born it didn't matter.
No one else seems to care what their birth name was. They are content with the way things are now. Birth names don't matter, what matters the name you are given after you're taken from the nursemaids. And the nursemaids are the women who carelessly rip you from your mother's arms when you're still small.
I am Twitch. I was given the job of mechanic. These are the only facts I know.
I don't know who my father was. And I certainly don't know who my mother was. Do I have siblings? Perhaps. But I would not know them if I came face to face with them. And they were assigned to different sectors anyway. Sector XIII is where you go if you're considered the lowest of the low. Sector XIII is where people who fail the aptitude tests live. And it was my luck that I was sick the day aptitudes were taken, and of course there was no make-up day.
Of course, given the nerve damage to the left side of my body, there's not many jobs I could take. Even (or especially) as a mechanic it's difficult sometimes. If I had been there testing day, I probably still would've ended up here. I probably still would've be given the name "Twitch". It was almost inevitable.
I still hate that name. It reminds me everyday that I'm less than perfect. Less than normal. I'm the twitch. The one with such extensive nerve damage from birth that not even the Medics from Sector II could fix it. And the Medics from Sector II are the best, if they can't fix it no one can.
My name is Twitch.
But some days I wish I remembered my real name.


© 2012 words a la carte


Author's Note

words a la carte
Just a short little diddy exploring a new character that's been forming in my head.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This sounds like it could be on a book jacket advertising the book, I really like it! Dystopia series are really popular now (not that that should affect anyone's writing), but I think you could really turn this into a full length novel and it would be very popular. Especially with the young adults.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a fairly intriguing read. I'm interested to see more of this character. There are some flow and comma issues. But, those will get fixed with time. :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wah this is so good! I love it :) it would be great if you turned this into a longer story

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very interesting. It kind of reminds me of Divergent what with the aptitude test, and the factions. Well, yours are called sectors, but in Divergent they are called factions. I like this, though. Very good!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2012
Last Updated on June 18, 2012
Tags: names, fantasy, dystopia


Author

words a la carte
words a la carte

IA



About
I'm Payton. I'm an aspiring author. And I hope to just keep getting better at writing. more..

Writing