The flickering lights

The flickering lights

A Story by Rochelle
"

Life means nothing to us until we take it away from someone, then we forget how to live ourselves.

"

Bright lights flicker constantly, making twisted shadows on the pale white walls. Hospital staff rush past; patients constantly appearing behind the automatic doors like an endless war.  Sydney slowly drags herself through the continuous line of people; she soon reached the waiting room taking a seat next to a young boy. She stares at the flickering lights again as the shadows dance on the walls. Sydney notices the boys gaze is on her, but she takes no notice.


“It’s like firefly’s dancing in the moon light”


“Firefly’s I didn't notice before”


“My name is Casey”


“I'm Sydney; why am I here?”


“I’ll show you”


He gently grabbed her hand, dragging her hallway after hallway, until they came to a stop. The hallway was packed but not once did they bump into anyone.  Looking down Casey held a sheet of paper:


Patient list (1072935)


28/8/15


Jet Brown �" Block H 90

Tahlia Simpson �" Block C 29

Rachael Foxx �" Block C 111

Matt Gurd �" Block D 101


3/7/15


Sydney Young �"Block C 131

Will Bindle �" Block C 21

Casey Parks �" Block D 93

 

“That’s me Sydney Young” she said with a confused expression


“Me too” Casey said pointing to his name


Sydney looked behind her as a little boy sprinted past; she turned and watched him run up to a man.


“Dad when is mummy coming home” he cried hugging his father tightly


“Mummy’s sick but she’ll wake up soon, I hope” the man said


Casey looked at Sydney as tears fell from her hazel eyes “Ethan”


“That’s your family, isn't it” Casey said as she ran up to them


“Ethan, Cayden it’s mummy I'm right here” she screamed


“Stop” Casey shouted


“Why” Sydney cried


“YOU’RE DYING” he yelled pulling her back


Everything went silent people rushed past; Casey dragged Sydney down the corridors leading her into room 93. There with a stone cold expression laid Casey’s body, tubes coming from his mouth, his heart rate slowly decreasing.


“I forgive her”


“Who”


“The woman that hit me, I forgive her”


“But why”


“She showed me that it’s time to see my parents, it’s been a lonely 6 years. Thank you for helping me see the light, I'm glad I met you before I died, always remember the fireflies”

 

Sydney looked at the heart monitor again he no longer had a heart beat, her gaze returned to Casey as he started to fade away, soon she couldn't feel his hand or see his presence any more. The Doctor came running in checking for a pulse, they covered his face with a white sheet at that very moment nothing felt more real.

 

Sydney ran down the corridors back to the list of previous patients, skimming through searching for one thing.


Sydney Young Block C 131


Sydney was looking for the room  when she overheard two nurses talking about Casey, she walked up beside them.

 

“To thing that heartless woman hit that poor boy in room 93 with her car”

 

“I now, he passed away today and she’s still on life support”

 

“The doctor said that if she doesn't wake soon she’ll die”

 

“I guess that’s karma for you”

 

Sydney looked behind the nurses “Cayden” she said

 

“Excuse me my wife is Sydney Young, what room is she in?” he asked

 

“Room 131”

 

“Thank you” he smiled walking away

 

“Let me guess that’s her husband”

 

“Poor man having to live with this pain”

 

She slowly followed Cayden. Surrounding her body was flowers and cards. She looked back at the nurses hating herself for what she had done. Sydney looked at Ethan/ tears fell down his checks, she walked towards her body and lay back inside herself. Everything went Black; a slight chill ran up her spine. Her eye’s gradually opened; her body soon became warm as she mumbled “Casey”. Sitting up Cayden and Ethan looked at her with surprised expressions, Ethan hugged her tightly.

 

“Mummy your better” Ethan smiled

 

“I thought I lost you” Cayden said

 

Tears fell down Sydney’s face; a sharp pain came from her chest like her heart was being ripped out.

 

“I killed that boy didn't I” she cried, Cayden nodded slowly

 

6 months have passed.  Sydney’s life will never be the same. Instead of hating herself for what she had done, Sydney wrote a best-selling novel “Those Flickering Lights” in memory of Casey but still judged by society for her mistakes.


Those Flickering Lights


The lights of life flickers like dancing firefly's in the shadows around us. We never really understand fate until it hits us like a car in the night. One boy changed my life forever, I see him in my son, in myself and when the firefly's dance I know he’s watching to.

So to my friend, saviour and angel, I thank you.

R.I.P Casey Parks aged 10

© 2014 Rochelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

lovely story,love it, great job

Posted 10 Years Ago


Amazing story, I loved it. :-) :-D

Kaze~

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 22, 2014
Last Updated on April 22, 2014

Author

Rochelle
Rochelle

Australia



About
Hi guys and girls, I don't know how to exactly describe myself as a writer or what I get out of telling complete strangers about my life but I like writing it sets me free, all my worry's or proble.. more..

Writing
She's free She's free

A Story by Rochelle