After the Dance

After the Dance

A Story by Greg Agee
"

A short story of romance come and gone, yet unforgotten.

"
Sentimental people believe their love will last forever. Romantics despair in knowing that, odds are, it won't. This is the story of an hour in a day after the dance is over.
We had never really discussed it. Unexpectedly, it seemed we had somehow grown apart. Some days later we met to exchange a few personal items. I looked into her eyes and we both knew it was over. Still able to see the love we held for one another. I smiled. She said " That's just like you to smile, knowing we've just broken up " I replied, " Darlin' you've reassured me today that if I wasn't to smile today. I'd have good reason. However, I was smiling yesterday. I've smiled today and I can assure you I'll smile tomorrow. Life's simply too short to deprive oneself of that small privilege. The alternative being tears " She turned and walked away. My vision became blurred and at that very moment. I heard my heart break. It was like a thin snap. Like a stem breaking on a rose. It took my breath away. Or maybe it was just the ice in my whiskey glass. One fact I'm very sure of is that I will love that woman until my last breath. I can only hope its a cold day when I take it so she will see how much I loved her. I can leave her then, in peace, with a sense of harmony in her heart. My dying breath I fear is the only truth that she will know. My final gift before I go....

© 2016 Greg Agee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

First: One small typo error I looked into her eyes and we both kneew it was over. it will be knew.
Second : What a heartbreak. Your vision wasn't the only one blurred by the time this piece got over. I loved it, i love it, i will keep loving it. Even if ends up causing a bit of pain in my heart. The way you have expressed it, is wonderful. I wanted to quote my favorite lines. guess what I loved it all and I can only see the whole thing being a true testament to a Romantic ^^ Great write ^^

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Greg Agee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the correction and thanks for the great review !!



Reviews

"After the dance"
Greg Agee,
I found your explanation of this story taking place: First line,"This is the story of an hour in a day after the dance is over." It set up really good context. Then the phrase: "growing apart" and "later we met to exchange a few personal items,"
Even with the truth of, "I looked into her eyes and we both knew it was over."
Also the great beauty of this story was the tears and the smile. The smile told that life does go on. Vision for the future was in the smile to her and to the reader. Life is a process but pain and growth walk on together in life process.
Love does not always die: "I will love that woman until my last breath." and your beautiful last line: "My dying breath I fear is the only truth that she will know. My final gift before I go...."
This was lovely and believable. It's nice to just be allowed a romantic moment sometimes. Thank you.
Kathy



Posted 6 Years Ago


First: One small typo error I looked into her eyes and we both kneew it was over. it will be knew.
Second : What a heartbreak. Your vision wasn't the only one blurred by the time this piece got over. I loved it, i love it, i will keep loving it. Even if ends up causing a bit of pain in my heart. The way you have expressed it, is wonderful. I wanted to quote my favorite lines. guess what I loved it all and I can only see the whole thing being a true testament to a Romantic ^^ Great write ^^

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Greg Agee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the correction and thanks for the great review !!
Great read.. Loved how you framed each line so uniquely in your own way! :)

Keep writing..Hope to read more! :)

And can i just point out a simple typo error..
" Lifes simply to short to deprive oneself of that small privilege"...
it should be " Life's simply too short to deprive oneself of that small privilege" right ? ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Greg Agee

8 Years Ago

Thank you sir, of course your right and I appreciate it. Thanks for the kind words and every time .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 21, 2016
Last Updated on February 24, 2016
Tags: bar, girl, love, breakup, Short story, divorce

Author

Greg Agee
Greg Agee

Sherwood, AR



About
I think that writing something beautiful . Let's the reader see you smile. more..

Writing
Addicted Addicted

A Poem by Greg Agee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..