******RP CURVE : Forum : Restaurant Row (Writer's Block..

Restaurant Row (Writer's Block Convention)

16 Years Ago

as I was walking out of the convention, I noticed someone with a name tagged "Scarlet Calvert" - since I had an eye out for celebrity I was excited to know if that was her, but with my luck today (with Damon Ross Cottrell)  I thought I better lay low... I thought to myself, could that be Scarlet Calvert?? and how very cool that she had an MP3 player/I wonder what brand ...and model!?!

(6) The Indie Author

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I looked around, forgetting that I had my headphones still glued to my head as I saw a few people glancing at me. I shyly took them off, turning off my mp3 player as I stuck eveything in my purse. I then stared down at my dress, being a black dress that looked very slimming on my average curves. The necklace that was around my neck was from my grandmother, who had passed away when I was in college. And the shoes...well, I got them from Walmart (I don't think that everybody would really like where I shop sometimes for sales and whatnot). Brushing some lint off my dress, I see a man with the name tag 'Alexis' on his shirt, wondering if he was Alexis Pena. I'm not sure, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself (as I did a few minutes ago with the lobbiest..I wish I would have just crawled into a hole then..). So I take a sip of my water, finishing its contents before I go up to someone, hopefully not making a fool out of myself as I walk towards Alexis, taking another glass of water into my hands as I say excuse me to a women who looked like she was in her early sixties.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

As I was outside of the Hotel at the foot of the building, enjoying a light breeze, the evening sun, and the scattered diverse group of people outside with me, I stopped and remembered a film festival I went to last year this time, because this convention - outside here - reminded me of that event: people under the sun with coffee shop styrofoam cups in hand, iced drinks, designer water, sunglasses, couples, couples with their children, celebrities, single men and women, young and old alike...

As I was imagining this a lady in her early sixties was approaching in my direction; and then I saw her; Scarlet Calvert - she was approaching to talk to me, or maybe not... I suddenly got this feeling of nervousness - I wanted to run.

(6) The Indie Author

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Giving the glass cup that I had to teh waiter right by me, I felt the cool breeze of spring going around my face, playing with my dark brown-red hair. I smiled brightly because of the nice day, seeing a lot of authors and other writers mingle around. Some had children with them, while other were just elderly couples, couples, or singles. I just smiled at them, who had smiled plainly back. Then a women about my age or older came up to me with a nervous glance written upon her face.

"Are you...Scarlett Calvert?"

I titled my head at her a bit and then nodded. "Yes, I am..."

Her eyes jumped around before holding up a pen and one of my books. "Will you sign the cover?"

"Sure.."

I gently took the pen from her, signing my name onto the book cover. When I gave her her pen back, the women looked estasitc, the nervousness going away from her face. "Thank you so much, Ms. Calvert."

"You're welcome.." I chuckled, watching the women walking away as she waved to what seemed to be her husband over to where she was. I turned around, seeing Alexis in my view. I hesitate before I started walking away, whispering,"If you want to make new friends in this state, then you should go and talk to them, not shy away..." as I approached Alexis. Then with a small smile, I introduced myself. "Uh, I'm new to Manhattan; I just moved here..so I thought I'd introduce myself...I'm Scarlett Calvert..."

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

she was definately walking toward me. I fell into a daydreaming mode, which I often do.

(I'm excited about Scarlet Calvert being here because she's famous; and to me this means that I get to add a defining hue to her commercial name that I understood as intangible and part only of the daily scheme of things like magazines, tv, music cds, the newspaper, and her books...and not the human race!?!  yes!!, she is comming to talk to me)

She introduced herself to me. (keeping my eyelids low and my chin up, I excitedly said...) I knew that was you Ms. Scarlet Calvert, so nice to meet you and firmly shook her hand with a rhythmic bounce)

I was hoping Damon would see me pleasantly talking to her, because...I much rather, than the awkward meet that we experienced and with Scotti... I can't believe how many times they had to apologize to me, in one day!

As debonairly as I could remember I am, I asked Scarlet maybe we can go out sometime... there are plenty of event flyers I stuffed in my WBC(Writer Block Convention) baggie happening in the next few months and lots of restaurants I haven't tried around here...

(6) The Indie Author

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Shaking Alexis’ hand firmly, I could tell he was excited to meet me because of the rhythmic bounce in his hand shake.  I had heard his name a few times from a few of the conventions I had went to before, hearing about Indie Authors and any other type of author that I could think of.  Letting go of his firm hand shake, I nod. “Sure, we can go out sometime…I’ve only been here twice in my life, so it’d fun to try some of the restaurants around here…” I said as I let the wind go around my face, the breeze cooling me down a bit from how hot I felt inside of the WBC convention room…

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I walked away somewhat stunned from meeting Scarlet Calvert. I thought that she was really nice, and so much unlike what I thought, and she's heard of me - maybe from the Guild, or Festivals I've spoken at, or the Writers Market, must be the Market...

I got her business card; I wonder if she wants to keep a professional relationship!?

I guess I'll just take it in stride. I'm doing a book signing here at the hotel sometime. I asked the hotel administration manager if I could put up a table inside the lobby on one of their off days - when there isn't an event happening - it would be so much less formal, and I wouldn't feel so self conscious about being just an indie. The last book signing I did was in front of where I work at the Farrs Stationary, the owner let me take a morning there in front of the store; he helped me put up a table and set it with a coffee dispenser, and cups, other refreshments in an iced tower, and some unwrapped desserts. The turn out wasn't bad, I signed  a few books and sold a few. For me this part of an Authors duties is really embarassing, but they are duties... a writer has to do them. I was thinking about putting up a table at the Wal-mart up the street... these locations, I think are appropriate for an Indie Author, like I wouldn't see Scarlet Calvert at the Wal-mart signing books or Damon Ross Cottrell for that matter. I would of liked to have a place to sign books at the convention, but next to those celebrities, I would have to have some sort of novelty about my presentation - maybe be in a booth instead of behind a table, and maybe also have a collection of signed books from my personal collection for sale or something.... I don't know (Alexis turns to the reader: what do you think? what should I do? Any ideas? Suggestions for this Indie?? and then retreats back to his character)

So I was standing there thinking all this with my portfolio, book of ramblings, and my WBC baggie securely in hand....

(6) The Indie Author

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Actually, any place that sells your work or any bookstore that will feature you is a good place to start. Renting space at a major convention can be a waste of money, but it does payoff for some people. Anywhere that will feature you, even Walmart is a viable option.