Alpha Readers : Forum : What do YOU need?

What do YOU need?

9 Years Ago

Hi guys.

I started this group nearly 6 months ago and I think we've grown considerably within only half a year.

My main goal for this group was to find people who were willing to read each other's work and give feedback while it's in development from the perspective of an Author. 
This is what is called an Alpha Reader.
As an Alpha Reader, it's important to be able to see past the rough nature of the first or second draft of the story and be able to give constructive feedback on what's working and what's not working in a scene or story. 
I know some of you aspire to be a published author and some of you have published work outside of the WC network. You love the craft and appreciate honest critiques. 

Over the past few months, we've lost members and gained some, but I believe our mission still stands. Those who still remain have forged relationships that I hope are meaningful on some level to their creative lives. 
I always want to continue to add value to this group and find new ways that we can help each other grow as writers. With that in mind, I would love to hear what you guys think we can do as a group to help YOU grow as a writer. How can I be a better reviewer to YOU? 

This is a selfish thread! feel free to say ME ME ME!! I want to know how I can help you best and I'm sure everyone would like to know what helps you most when someone reads your story.

Re: What do YOU need?

9 Years Ago

For now, I am getting what I need from this group, the occasional review of a piece of writing, lately that has been short poems, while I get to read your work,.
I am observing what the others here are doing, how they develop their WIP, and the process that goes in to it.
I try to be helpful in my comments and reviews, and tell you what worked for me, what I felt was a bit bumpy. As one relatively inexperienced in fantasy, I don't know what rules you guys may be breaking in the genre, but I do know when something works.
Once I prepare to unleash my own story on y'all (hat tip to #YoungMissRebel) I look forward to that in return.

Re: What do YOU need?

9 Years Ago

At this point I'm very happy being in the group and hanging back reading everyone's work and, believe me, learning from it.  Thanks once again for your reviews of my writing.  I'm working on incorporating some of your great suggestions into some revisions that I think are definitely improvements.  I'm mulling it over, but hope to post the new versions soon.