Beyond Fantasy : Forum : Which Fantasy Stories Should b..

Which Fantasy Stories Should be Made Into Films?

14 Years Ago

In the past, there have been a few poor adaptations for film. However, most people would agree that Peter Jackson's production of "The Lord Of The Rings", was a magnificent achievement. What do other group members think about this subject?

Personally, I do not like to watch animated versions of fantasy writing. Then again, perhaps I have simply not seen any good examples of animated fantasy?

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Personally? The book by Laura Esquivel, "The Law of Love" (La Ley del Amor) is a book I would love to see in film... The overview of the book as posted in Amazon.com is :

"Composed in a tantalizing style of New Age-sci-fi-magical realism, the tale is set in the year 2200, when astroanalyst Azucena Martinez, who lives in Mexico City, has been permitted at last to meet her twin soul, Rodrigo Sanchez, the man with whom she is to experience the ecstasy of perfect romantic union. And not a moment too soon; not only is Azucena terribly lonely, but she has finally paid off all the karmic debts accumulated in her 14,000 past lives. Alas for her, Rodrigo is not as karmically pure, and the day after their night of bliss, he is framed for murder and deported to the penal planet of Korma. As it turns out, this is all part of a divine plan: Azucena's quest to be reunited with her lover sets in motion a chain of events that will lead to the restoration of the law of Love on planet Earth."

Another book I would love to see put into film is "American Gods" by Neil Gainman -- o though the thought of how his books "Stardust" and "Coraline" turned out kind of makes me wonder if it's such a good idea...

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Hmm...I really loved and enjoyed the fantasy book "Prince of Lies" by James Lowder, its the fourth book in the Avatar series (the only one I've read though, but will get to them all eventually!). I think it would make an excellent movie, but they'd really need to find a brilliant actor to pull off playing the role as Cyric, the God of Strife (my favorite character, by the way).

Despite being the main villain--brutal and sinister--there's something about Cyric that made me fall in love with the mad god; you just can't help but love how despicable he truly is!

"Black Unicorn" by Tanith Lee would make a pretty good movie I think :]

Even though this thread is about fantasy stories, I'd just like to throw in a video game series I think would make an excellent movie-series: The Legacy of Kain. The series is so epic and fantastic with amazing characters that really shine in the games' storytelling and high quality voice acting (which I think if they made the games into movies, I think it'd be best if it was all in CG instead of live-action. Besides, if it was in CG, they'd be able to have Simon Templeman to provide the voice for the character Kain (he's also the original voice actor for this character), along with all the other voice actors/actresses.

I'd also think the graphic novel "Fray" would make a brilliant movie (its really good; a futuristic spin-off of the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer...but its waaaaaay better than that show, in my opinion, lol!). That is, if you consider vampires, demons, and all that sort of stuff fantasy..

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Yeah I agree with Fray.  That would be a nifty movie, just depends if Wheddon can do it or does he got to get permission for the folks who really own Buffy.  Since they are doing a new movie.

DC Vertigo's Fables would be a great movie or tv series.
DC Vertigo's Y the last Man would be a great tv series

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

did they ever make eldest into a film? i saw eragon. it was OK, but not great compared to the book, bt i wonmdered if they were making the others into films.
i also would love to write some of my stories as films, but i would have no idea where to start!

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I've always thought that the dragons of Pern, by Anne McCaffery would make a very interesting movie. It's just that there's so much that you can do with the story and so many different places that you can start. Besides from that I always wanted to see the Sword of Truth By Terry Goodkind on film but the most recent tv series about it has been very disappointing to me. 

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I have one word for you all. . .Shannara.  Terry Brooks is a phenomenal fantasy writer and any one of his books would make a fabulous movie.  Obviously, Sword of Shannara would be the first, but I would watch a movie based on any one of his books, especially if they continued on to make Elfstones or Wishsong.