Beyond Fantasy : Forum : Phrases that "strike"..

Phrases that "strike"...

14 Years Ago

Along my life I have stumbled upon several quotes/phrases that have stroke a chord inside my writer's soul. Now, I cannot begin to write ALL of them... but I thought it would be nice if I shared a few of them and maybe you can contribute to the pot.

What would you say to a fellow writer who is looking for a piece of advice? Are there any quotes that make you smile, give you inspiration, or that you just find amusing?

part of a meme

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Personally, I like some of the phrases which H. P. Lovecraft created. Some of which, can be seen on my profile, by the way. In addition, some political phrases also hold my attention. Indeed, some of them mean quite a lot to me (not normally used in fantasy writing, obviously). In a fantasy piece, I would only use phrases which seem appropriate in the scneario which I have chosen. This would be according to the historical setting, location, characters involved and so on. What do the rest of you think, fellow Group members?

Julian

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Well, I've been reading Oxymoronica by Dr. Mardy Grothe (I love that name. It either sounds like some sort of wood sprite or a mispronunciation of Mardi Gras.)

That book is made up of the very kind of quotes that I enjoy, one that laugh at the world and make one take a second look. Examples are:

"He has not a single redeeming defect."- Benjamin Disraeli

"The ever-alert, conscientiously wakeful- how many fine things they fail to see."- Norman Douglas.

From Bridge of Birds, by Barry Hughart:

"Error can point the way to truth, while empty-headedness can only lead to more empty-headedness or to a career in politics." - Master Li

I'm sure that there are thousands more, but this is what I've got at the moment.