Horror Writer's Anonymous (HWA) : Forum : Horror Battle Submissions Here..

[reply] [quote]

History log thread for Horror Battles.

12 Years Ago

Here I will attempt to keep a log of past Horror Battles between the fighters and the offside who want to try out with contests. Please post here instead of making your own thread. It will save space and clutter :) 
Thank you.

Things to know. 
+Pauline Ramsey is the group host.
+A Horror Battle will be hosted as Pauline Ramsey desires for it too. 
+There are due dates for each battle. Please look for the "News letter" for those dates.
+Please do not make a new thread for your submission. I will do my best to watch the submissions page. All I ask for you to do if you do so is to say that its for are group so I know to add it.

Thank you and enjoy our history as it builds to die some day. :)

Legend.
Horror Battle Gore Lunatics are the fighters. 
Horror Battle Gore Stalkers are the off sides.

Horror Battle 1: Phonebook Ended with a tie.
Horror Battle Gore Lunatics: 
Pauline Ramsey Enters: Disconnected
LitchHammer    Enters: Ring...Ring...Ring...Click.

Horror Battle Gore Stalkers:
BBA                 Enters: Call Me
C. Harter Amos Enters: The Move
Mark Slade       Enters: A Name
Christian Tho... Enters: Disconnected Numbers

Horror Battle 2: Create a story from a David Lehman poem; "Death was last seen in the auction room, looking worried." Mark Slade won to default.

Horror Battle Lunatics:
Mark Slade Enters: The Auction 
Paunline Ramsey Enters: Defaulted

Horror Battle 1: The Box

Horror Battle Lunatics:
Mark SladeEpitaph

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
bba
[reply] [quote]

Re: Horror Battle Submissions Here.

12 Years Ago

Thanks for posting all the submissions! I've read them all and gave reviews each. It's fascinating how writers weave different stories out of one particular item. I just wish there's more submissions.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

The Man in the Train is Waving A Story by Phibby Venable

It was late winter and the city was sluggish with snow and boredom. The streets were piled high on each side with hardened, stained snow. Mia hated all of it. She had a business to run, and not only could she not travel to it, but neither could her customers. She had a small apartment on the worse side of town in a huge old house that hovered by the railroad tracks. The tracks had expanded, but the house had stayed stoically in the same spot, so that now it seemed the train was larger than ever. From her bedroom window she could almost touch the steel monster as it passed. Most annoying of all was the gray outline of what she supposed was the engineer.

She could see him turn each morning and wave a languid hand in her direction. It only emphasized her lack of privacy.
"Shut the damn curtains," her boyfriend advised, but Mia felt she had the right to the little light the window provided, and stubbornly refused. This morning she lay on her bed alone as at exactly seven the train passed by in slow motion emitting high pitched screams for the crossings. As she expected, the man on the train turned with a slow wave in her direction. She lifted up her middle finger in a hard thrust toward the window. The man continued to wave out of sight. She got up and went to the window to watch the train disappear into the heavy morning fog. Just then her boyfriend, Tyler, arrived.

"What's up baby," he said cheerfully, "waving at your other man?'

"I'm gonna report that pervert," she said.

"Just ignore him," Tyler suggested.

He loved Mia's quick temper, but was bored with the train thing. The only good thing that came out of it was Mia's ferocious love making when she was angry. He was looking forward to that this morning. He knew that any moment he would be ravaged by her raging release, and of course he wasn't disappointed. In a few minutes, her eyes slanted catlike, she leapt upon his willing body and made him remember why he liked getting up early nowadays.

Later that day, Mia walked a block over to the convenience store. She was complaining as usual when a boy spoke up from behind her.

"Throw a cocktail in the window," he said. She turned quickly.

"What?"

"Stick you a rag soaked in gasoline in a bottle, light it, and throw it fast."

"I didn't say I needed a way to kill the a*****e, did I?'

"Ah, forget it, Moody Mama," the boy said, "all you wanna do anyways is complain." Mia marched out of the store in a huff. She spent the day cleaning and waiting for the streets to be cleared. She went to bed early. The next morning she awakened to the chug of engines and a blast of whistle.

She had fallen asleep nude and all was revealed to the gray figure as he lifted his hand and waved slowly. Mia bolted to the window and flung it open. Her breasts bounced indignantly as she shook her fist and screamed,

"Stop looking in my window you piece of crap! Stop waving at me!" The train slowly crept on with the man waving out of sight. Shortly afterwards Tyler arrived. He left a couple of hours later feeling like a broken, but happy man. Mia had really been in a rough mood. Sometimes she even scared him.

Mia had endured enough. She marched down to the convenience store and purchased a pint of gas. She went home and filled a glass jug with gasoline and stuck a long strip of cloth inside. Now she felt ready for the waving man. She smiled with satisfaction. All day the fabric would be absorbing the fuel and by morning the wick would be volatile. That night Mia climbed into bed but could not sleep. How she hated the waving man. She despised all of them. Her father waving from his car as he pulled away and left her forever for his new wife, the boy she had loved waving as he walked away, leaving her pregnant and alone. She felt the rage growing inside her in red hot spasms. She could hardly wait till morning.

At some point she fell asleep but her eyes opened in a quick bulge as she heard the approach of the morning train. It inched closer and closer. There he was! The shadow man waved slowly, his gray figure even nearer to the window than ever before. She leapt to her feet and grabbed the cocktail and a lighter. She lit the fuse and flung with all her strength. With deadly aim the torch zoomed through the window of the train. She leaned further out the window to see. Suddenly the bomb came zooming back. It landed with deadly accuracy inside her partially opened robe in a hideous explosion. Since she had been leaning out the window, most of the fire fell to the ground. What was left, however, was enough to consume Mia. As she fell backwards into unconsciousness she could see the man still waving.

Mia woke up in a body cast of bandages. She remembered everything but could not speak. A nurse bounced brightly into her room.

"Now we're up I see," she sang out. Mia simply stared through the bandages. The woman performed her duties and headed for the door.

"Now you just rest, Sweetie!", she said. Then the nurse lifted her hand and smiled. "Bye, bye now," she said, waving like a prom queen leading the parade. Rage ripped through Mia's body. How badly she wished she could wave back.

[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by bba
Thanks for posting all the submissions! I've read them all and gave reviews each. It's fascinating how writers weave different stories out of one particular item. I just wish there's more submissions.

I thought it was a pretty good turnout for the amount of members we have and the fact that it's our first battle. I really am pleased by it all! :)
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

my vote is going to pauline, only because when i went to sleep the first time i read this story, i dreamt  scenes from it! but i'll you, it was a close contest. screaming voices story was a little unnerving. both did a great job.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
bba
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Both stories are great, and it's hard to choose!

I vote for LitchHammer/Screaming Voices' story.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

I honestly enjoyed both stories and found it impossible to choose one and disregard the other.  So I'm on the fence unable to vote for just one. 
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

i submitted a story for the box prompt.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Got yea Mark :)