Midnight Souls : Forum : Who inspired you?

Who inspired you?

16 Years Ago

Hello to all my Midnight Souls.

I am curious about my group members and would like to get to know all of you. And to start off I would like to know which authors/poets inspired your work.

Mine are (and the first one most people seem to already know) Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Edger Allen Poe, John Saul and Don Pendleton.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Robert E. Howard, Steven King, Dean Koontz, Louis L'amour, Jack London, Graham Masterson. I have to give a nod to Mary Shelley as well just because she's an icon to me.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Mary Shelly , cannot believe her work with Frankenstein... I love the book so much better than any of the hundreds of movies..
Stoker too with his Dracula..

I like Anne Rice and Stephen King.. The first Stephen King book i read was Salem's Lot.. Saw that on tv as a wee one and it scared the heck out of me.. the kid trying to get the kid to open the window and let him in..I kept thinking someone was at my window..

I like Sylvia Plath's poetry.. Dark and haunted as she was .

I am not much of a writer but i would say anyone i ever read who's work had an effect on me inspires me.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Clive Barker was by far the biggest inspiration for me. Also, Neil Gaiman (starting with his comic work), Alan Moore, H.P. Lovecraft, and Stephen King (not so much his work, but just the man himself).

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Shakespeare is probably my biggest inspiration for his command of the English language, as well as Edgar Allen Poe.  I enjoy Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Patricia Briggs for her Skinwalker series, and any number of ancient Greek writers.  I also love J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.  I don't get much time to read anything other than textbooks these days, though.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Well, besides Tolkien, I'd say Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Michael Crichton, Phillip Jose Farmer, Clive Barker and John Saul.  But my truest inspiration comes not from published author, but for an avid fanstasy, sci-fi, and horror lover and a awesome storyteller: My father.  It was his tales told too me as a child and his powerfull imagination that lead me down a road that I could not nor ever wish to veer from.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Bravo Mr. Robinson. I also feel my dad is the driving force behind my work....my inspiration. I only wish he could be here to see it when it is published. Also my son who is so full of life. And I hope that I can be as good a father to him as my dad was to me. I also say Hats off to for mentioning John Saul...love his work. Between him and King...my fav two.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'd have to say H.P. Lovecraft, August Derleth, Lewis Carrol, Brian Lumely, Robert Bloch, Poe, Rod Serling, and Nancy A. Collins. 

I got a lot of inspiration from shows like Tales from the Dark Side, Night Gallery, and Twilight Zone.  There are probably alot more inspirations than I can think of right now.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, Shakespear, Charlotte Brontee, Michael Mirrors (he scares me), Kurt Vonnecut, the lead singer from a Perfect Circle, inspire my dark poetry and stories. 

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

For me it was Stephen King, Wes Craven, John Saul, Anne Rice, and V.C. Andrews. There are other authors but those were the main :)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Wow Bob

I am so glad you mentioned Robert E. Howard... he is one of my all time favorite authors.

I guess the person who inspired me to write wasn't really a writer at all, but my writing teacher in college, till then I was pretty happy just being a reader. Since then I think my inspiration has mostly come from other writers on writing sites.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

alfred hitchcock and his short story writers.  michael moorock(sf) elric saga

twilight zone, poe, betty davis in whatever happened to baby jane. henry james, robert mcammon ,ooh spell check) he wrote swan song. peter straub so many more, many short story writers. i am still being inspired by more modern writers as well.

{No Subject}

14 Years Ago

My inspiration? My favourite author, Tom Clancy. Rainbow Six (book) was particularly thrilling for me. I also like J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis (though Narnia leaves a bitter taste in my mouth; you'll have to guess which of his works inspired me). And actually, an old friend by the name of [name withheld].   Sincerely, Writer

Re: Who inspired you?

14 Years Ago

For me it was Stephen king, Mario Puzo, and Alistair Reynolds.

14 Years Ago

Lovecraft, Brian Jaques, Mary Shelley, and Neil Gaiman (among so many others) showed me nifty tricks of the trade, but I really was inspired towards writing by two people. My mom always told me the best horror stories; she was infamous with my friends, my brothers' friends, and our relatives for scary the immortal hell out of us. My maternal grandfather always told awesome stories. Heck, he still does. From these two I learned that you can make a small event into an epic tale and that not all fear needs to come with gore, sometimes it is subtle and sneaky.

13 Years Ago

For me Stephen King and Clive Barker in stories and novels and Pablo Neruda in poetry. Also horror and thriller movies contribute a lot!! Reading others work also helps a lot to get ideas.

13 Years Ago

JK Rowling, Darren Shan, Bram Stoker, Robert Browning, Shakespeare and many many others.

13 Years Ago

My inspirations for my work include James Patterson, Edgar Allan Poe, Scott Westerfeld, and Christopher Pike. I remember stumbling through their work when I was only ten years old, not understanding most of the vocabulary but liking the concepts of the science fiction and horror all the same. I still re-read their books whenever I get stuck in a writing piece.