Phantastic Phantasy : Forum : Writing

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

Writing

13 Years Ago

Everybody still alive? Love this group, figured I'd try something.
I need help, actually. I've decided to start a new book, going off what I've learned from my first one. And I can't seem to title either of em. So tell me how you choose your Perfect title.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Writing

13 Years Ago

These forums are so tucked away, you never know if there's anything new going on unless you check each one...

As for titles, I think it's more personal preference.  Though in many cases, I think the title generally describes a major theme in the book.  LOTR: The Return of the King.  Harry Potter and the *something* of *someplace* etc.

For my own book (the only one so far), I kept it fairly simple.  Echowake: Initiation.  The relevance of the word "echowake" doesn't even get discussed until a handful of chapters further along then I've even written so far.  And "Initiation" in this case just made sense to me because as it's the first book in a series, parts of the story were like the main character's initiation into several things... and perhaps life in general.  At the very least it's about just starting out, so initiation just made sense to me. 

I guess I would recommend looking at what your story is about on a whole, and trying to find a central theme, then trying to describe that theme in a very short and catchy way so that it sounds cool as a book title.  ;)  This may require a little forethought as to the middle and end of your story.  I think if you have a goal of where you want to be at the end of the book, a title may just come to mind.

That's all I got!