Plucky Magazine : Forum : Allies in Politics: Missouri S..

Allies in Politics: Missouri State Rep. Jason Holsman

12 Years Ago

“The government’s role is to protect the people, and I take that responsibility seriously.” -Missouri State Representative Jason Holsman (D-045)

In Missouri, there are a small, but growing number of politicians who are allies of the LGBT community.  State Representative Jason Holsman, a Democrat representing the 45th District is one such legislator. Socially conscious and a father of two, Rep. Holsman makes it a point to vote for what is good for all Missourians.

This past Wednesday, February 29th, lobbying organizations gathered outside and inside the Capitol Building in Jefferson City, including pro-LGBT groups such as PROMO, the sponsor of Equality Day at the Capitol, and OneLove, a local LGBTQA family of friends.  On this cold, blistery day, many braved the wind to get their voices heard.

During the rally in front of the south steps of the capitol building, many state legislators, Rep. Holsman among them, spoke on what it means to be an ally to equality in the state senate or house, and as an ordinary citizen.  Males and females, Democrats and Republicans, all are allies in the march towards inclusion of we the people in the phrase “we the people”.

“It is a travesty that this state told the nation that we want to legalize discrimination by prohibiting our citizens to marry each other out of love.  I find that wrong, and I voted against it as a private citizen…I personally believe that if we don’t take a step like MONA, then what we’re saying to our young people is that it is OK to discriminate against people who are different from you,” Rep. Holsman tells me.

A “controversial” point of view such as this can heighten emotions on both sides.  “I get frustrated with this issue.  A business doesn’t make someone go to a gay bar, or a gay store, or a gay fast food restaurant. Everybody has an economic interest in the health and stability of our society,” adds Rep. Holsman.

Rep. Holsman not only withstood the wind chill outside the capitol to speak to us, but on a daily basis withstands it inside the capitol to speak for us. One such opportunity presented itself when Rep. Holsman was offered an openly gay intern. “When they were placing him, they called me up, and I guess they had a few elected officials, that will remain nameless, refuse the appointment,”  Rep. Holsman says. He was asked if he had a problem with an openly gay intern, to which he responded, “You mean, someone else does?”  For Rep. Holsman, it’s an honor. “He’s a great addition to the staff.  He’s a competent and capable young man and I’ve come to rely on his work in some of the committees that we have.”  Mr. Vick, a student at Truman State, says he has learned quite a lot from all of the interaction with constituents, the focus on renewable energy, and writing reviews of committee meetings for Rep. Holsman.  “I love it,” he says.  As far as running for office himself, Mr. Vick tells me, “I’m not ruling anything out.”

Taking the next step in his political career, Rep. Holsman is running for state Senate.  “This Senate race is going to be an enjoyable race for me, because I get to speak my mind, and even if I don’t win, I help define the issues of the things that I care about.”  Either way, Rep. Holsman continues to stay true to his progressive roots, championing the causes of civil liberties and human rights. “No one people is favored in the Constitution over another.”

The Kansas City Metro rep recognizes bullying is a universal issue, so he is an avid supporter of the enumeration of the Safe Schools Act (HB 1597).  “When I was in elementary school, I had red hair and freckles. I got picked on quite a bit as a young person for being different. I know this is not anywhere near the magnitude or the same, and I don’t try and pretend that it is, but it’s still my personal experience,” shares Rep. Holsman.

But he didn’t let this get him down.  Instead, Rep. Holsman used his experience to become a more mature human being.  “The first time that somebody comes in conflict with the low hanging fruit, it’s easy to point out our differences.  It wasn’t until I became a young adult that I started to appreciate my uniqueness that God gave me.”

© Plucky Magazine