Poetic Infusion Society : Forum : What is all of the self-publis..

Is this self-publishing, really?

12 Years Ago

Do the research on the "most popular" self-publisher on the web today, then you be the judge.     $629.00 to experience book-publishing services from a self-publisher (This is the lowest package)     $4,729.00 for this best package?  This does not include marketing services listed below     $2,900.00 for what? Oh, marketing yes, that’s right.     ??? I didn't see a cost on this one, is it free?     $9,500 to market and campaign for three months     Is $30 actually worth it for your own book?   You decide.  Thanks everyone.

Re: What is all of the self-publishing commotion about?

12 Years Ago

Book publishing it definitely changing its procedures. Way back in the day, you could send a book manuscript to a publishing house through a literary agent and get picked up even if you had a lot of room left to work on your book. Now, publishers won't accept your manuscript until you have made it robotically clean or have handed in something that is essentially a masterpiece/an excellent selling point. Publishing houses no longer have the finances to hire an editor for you - you have to be your own editor.  :) Some self-promotion:

Self-publishing is good for rich people who want to get published, those that don't care too much about the lack of prestige/respect, or for those that don't want to bother with low royalty payments. Self-publishing is a gamble: you could spend tons of money and get nothing back, yet you can also make a lot more money doing self-publishing if you market your book well (and coming from a book marketer, that is not easy). 

It is just another option, that has its plus and minuses. As authors, we have to choose which plus and minuses we want to accept: those of the self-publishing world, or those of the corporate/independent publishing world.

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Starfish
Book publishing it definitely changing its procedures. Way back in the day, you could send a book manuscript to a publishing house through a literary agent and get picked up even if you had a lot of room left to work on your book. Now, publishers won't accept your manuscript until you have made it robotically clean or have handed in something that is essentially a masterpiece/an excellent selling point. Publishing houses no longer have the finances to hire an editor for you - you have to be your own editor.  :) Some self-promotion:

Self-publishing is good for rich people who want to get published, those that don't care too much about the lack of prestige/respect, or for those that don't want to bother with low royalty payments. Self-publishing is a gamble: you could spend tons of money and get nothing back, yet you can also make a lot more money doing self-publishing if you market your book well (and coming from a book marketer, that is not easy). 

It is just another option, that has its plus and minuses. As authors, we have to choose which plus and minuses we want to accept: those of the self-publishing world, or those of the corporate/independent publishing world.

Most respectful post, starfish, I am certainly glad (with all your knowledge) that we have you on our side~  Have a wonderful day, Legacy

12 Years Ago

Lol o.O those are huge sums. It sucks that people might have to pay that much to see their work in a book. But I mean, with people as...opinionated as they are today, there's no point in gambling your money and your work to some shotty publisher. Doesn't the internet last forever? And I mean--yeah, pages are fine, but eventually, the pages will turn to dust, and everything written on them will disappear. But the internet, including this site, lasts a long, long, LONG time. This is just my opinion but...paper crumbles. Data doesn't. That's hard fact.