Somnambules : Forum : Ars Poetica:

Ars Poetica:

14 Years Ago

any general writing tips or philosophy you've encountered from prof., writers, or your own experience.

Re: Ars Poetica:

14 Years Ago

"One image per stanza" Ronald Koertge.

Also, whenever I struggled for an adjective, or word, he would simply scan thru his books, newspapers, or whatever, and pull one out.

"Fledging authors frequently should do the following: bend the notebook in half and tear off the first half...Normally, beginners try to 'lead into the story"...and half of what they write is unnecassary"

"I think that it is not for the writers to solve such questions as the existence of God, pessimism, etc.  the writer's function is only to describe by whom, how, and under what conditions the questions of God and pessimism were discussed...you can't figure out anything in this world, as Socrates once admitted and as Voltaire kept admitting"

"If you insert a rifle in the first chapter, it better go off by the last"

Anton Chekhov

14 Years Ago

“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.”                                  - Anton Chekhov

14 Years Ago

One image per stanza, thats a good one! :) Interesting:) 

Never write in order to please, write for yourself! xx

13 Years Ago

"[It is] digressive ... to speak in superlatives" ~Buddy Wakefield

13 Years Ago

from a fellow writer, Emily Burns [paraphrased]: "whenever there is something that is so secret, so private I think it cannot possibly ever be shared, I know I must immediately set pen to paper"