Story time! : Forum : Accepting Crituque

Accepting Crituque

10 Years Ago

We are in an environment that has been created for the exchange of ideas and constructive critique. It seems that if you have come here and posted writing, constructive critique is what you are looking for. So long as the feedback is polite and offered in an attempt to be constructive, it ought to be accepted with a smile. I have been here for about two hours and offered feedback on 4 items written by two different authors. One was gracious and polite while the other had nothing but a snippy and rather impudent response. I am no Stephen King or James Patterson, but one thing that I can do well, is hear someone out when they offer suggestions. I recognize that the words are mine and I can do what I choose with them. I don't have to adopt any suggestions offered, but I certainly know how to be gracious and behave like an adult.

My policy is to offer critique that is less than glowing in the privacy of a personal message and to do so as politely as possible. I do this out of consideration for the other writer. If you react to my suggestions in impolite fashion, I shall assume that you do not wish to have my eyes darken your writing for the remainder of eternity.

Finally ... while politeness is critical when offering critique (and I am quite certain that I was polite) ... I'm sorry ... but I am out of refrigerator magnets.