The Review Club : Forum : THE INDUSTRY THREAD

THE INDUSTRY THREAD

17 Years Ago

A place to talk about getting paid as writers - markets, agents, contests, self-marketing, you name it.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Hi all:

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in contests but here are some that are legitmate and ending in the next month or so...

The Ledge- Fiction contest end 2/28

The Gulf Coast- Fiction/creative non-fiction contest ends 3/15

Also Glimmer Train has a few short fiction ones running...

Good luck.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

The current Glimmer Train contest, is for new, unpublished writers. Cash prize of $1,200 for first place plus publication, $15 entry fee, deadline 2.16. All of their contests are available at glimmertrain.com.

-cc

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Sorry here is one more for the novelist in the group.

FYI: You have to join gather.com to enter the contest.

Good luck.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

One suggestion I have is Writer's Digest. For those who are working on short stories, each month they have a contest. The prize is $100 US ($23.45 CDN). Also they have a fun idea calling Writing Prompt. Each month they give an idea which you then finish. Not for money, but I found it good for practice.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

These are all great, thanks. I've dealt with Glimmer Train before and will probably, again. Also, although it's been awhile, Byline.com gave me some good advice. I feel it's good for my ego to get rejected by The New Yorker once a year.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Well, Bull, the great thing about our business is it only costs a dollar or two to send a submission anywhere. Gee, I think I'd like a New Yorker rejection slip too!

And thanks to everyone for sharing these opportunities.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Here's another contest.

ANNOUNCING THE 76TH ANNUAL WRITER'S DIGEST WRITING COMPETITION!

Now in its 76th year, the Writer�s Digest Annual Writing Competition continues the time-honored tradition of rewarding great talent with huge prizes. In fact, we�re giving away more than $30,000 in cash and prizes this year!

Grand Prize: $3,000 cash and an all-expense paid trip to New York City to share your work with four editors or agents.

1,001 winners will be chosen in all!

For a complete list of prizes and guidelines, and to enter online, visit our Web site.

Deadline: May 15, 2007

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Wow that's neat. Thanks Julie.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Loekie
One suggestion I have is Writer's Digest. For those who are working on short stories, each month they have a contest. The prize is $100 US ($23.45 CDN). Also they have a fun idea calling Writing Prompt. Each month they give an idea which you then finish. Not for money, but I found it good for practice.

I love the quote. Have any of your look at I haven't used it effectively but it seems a pretty good tool. I've used it to scan the markets, find out which pay, find out reading periods and for the links to the magazine sites.

Cheers!

Rob

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Another place to check for contests/agents/publishers is the P&E site. They do tons of research and find legitimate business and give a brief detail of those that are scams or charge fees.

Preditors and Editors

Another spot is Writingsmarket.com. They have a $30.00 annual fee that is well worth it. They provide an extensive list of contests/agent/publishers for books, magazines, screenplays, poetry. They give a list of what each house is looking for in regard to genre, length, and writing style followed by contact information. In the front they offer how to break into the industry instructionals.

You don't need to join the site, you could by the book. Writer's market 2007 is the latest edition.

I have both the book and the online subscription because I love them both.

Chrissie