The Review Club : Forum : Discussion of Kim's True Light..

Discussion of Kim's True Light Chapters 3 & 4

17 Years Ago

This is the place to respond to reviews and for further discussion of Kim's True Light Chapters 3 & 4

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Kim,

I've put up my review. The major concerns I have are reflected in my comments. Overall, your writing seems clean. If you have anything you want more exposition on, let me know. Cheers!

Rob

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Heya Rob,

Thanks for the review. You make a lot of good points. I know the chapater is an info dump. I wanted to get the information about the rules of how their abilities work right away, but I've always considered the chapter a problem child. I've rewritten it completely several times and I am still not happy with it. I think you made some good suggestions on what to cut to make it flow better. I completly agree with you that it slows down and lessons the tension.

I'm thinking that the part where Roxy talks about the history, I will put that where she sees Peter is in frozen time with her. While she wondering if he is going to freak out or not. That will explain why she is wondering that and give the back story.

I'm wondering about what to cut from Mr. F's conversation. I'm thinking that maybe have Peter explain while they are in frozen time, why he had her put in the class. That could cut the part with Mr. F explaining about the class. I do want to keep the part about Mr. F explaining about how he uses his ability. His connection with law inforcement is important to the story line and there really isn't another part I could add that into.

I'm wondering why you think it is important that Mr. F. is more powerful than Roxy and Peter? He has his stuff together that is the important thing. He is like the brotherly figure that helps the kids feel normal. He isn't an authority figure for them. More of a friend. I hope I show that as the story progresses.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Wheldon,

Hmm... You say that there isn't enough conflict yet. I consider this the opening part of the book, the set up to the problems to come. There is actually a lot of foreshadowing in these chapters, but I write in a way that it isn't obvious. I know that Rob doesn't care for Laelana, but if you pay attention to the things she says in these chapters, you will see that she is giving lots of hints about what is to come. The things Mr. Fitzgerald says also gives some foreshadowing.

I know chapter four has problems. It's one of two chapters that I am truly not happy with. The other being Chapter 14, but that won't get posted for a while. I think both are due for another rewrite.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Kim Roach
Heya Rob,

Thanks for the review. You make a lot of good points. I know the chapater is an info dump. I wanted to get the information about the rules of how their abilities work right away, but I've always considered the chapter a problem child. I've rewritten it completely several times and I am still not happy with it. I think you made some good suggestions on what to cut to make it flow better. I completly agree with you that it slows down and lessons the tension.

I'm thinking that the part where Roxy talks about the history, I will put that where she sees Peter is in frozen time with her. While she wondering if he is going to freak out or not. That will explain why she is wondering that and give the back story.

I'm wondering about what to cut from Mr. F's conversation. I'm thinking that maybe have Peter explain while they are in frozen time, why he had her put in the class. That could cut the part with Mr. F explaining about the class. I do want to keep the part about Mr. F explaining about how he uses his ability. His connection with law inforcement is important to the story line and there really isn't another part I could add that into.

I'm wondering why you think it is important that Mr. F. is more powerful than Roxy and Peter? He has his stuff together that is the important thing. He is like the brotherly figure that helps the kids feel normal. He isn't an authority figure for them. More of a friend. I hope I show that as the story progresses.

Hey Kim,

The reason I would make Mr. F. more powerful is for two reasons: (1) You don't get into power struggle issues between senior and junior age wise. You can assume it. If you do the reversal, then you have to explain it. (2) It allows us to participate in Roxy's development as a novice to what she may become one day. The formula is standard and a good one, to parallel the growth into maturity physically, emotionally and psychologically. It gives both you and the reader a template to work with in developing character and story.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Ah, I don't think that is necessary. Mr. F isn't really a central character. He isn't Dumbledore... If he was more powerful than Roxy and Peter it would throw the whole series out of whack. He is more of an example of meta-mystic that uses his abilities for good and lives a somewhat normal life, while accepting who he is and helping others to do the same. He isn't a teacher of how to control thier abilities.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Thanks for the review Leah. Very helpful.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Leah,

I really went to school on your examples and explanations of tense usage. I hope it all sticks. Just the kind of lesson I love to see. Thanks.

Bill W

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Thanks Bill. It helps me to get to explain that stuff, as I mess up too, and it's harder to spot my own failings than the slips of others. Going through my paces makes me tougher on myself.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I wanted to say thanks for all the reviews this week. Chapters 3 and 4 have been my problem children and I didn't know what to do with them. I absorbed all the sugestions everyone made. By the way everyone made great comments and helped a lot. I did a rewrite, taking out the info dumps. I hope. If anyone wants to read through and tell me if it flows better, I would apreciate it. If there is anything left that seems like too much info too soon or given in awkward way, please let me know.

Thanks,
Kim