The Review Club : Forum : Doing some research for a stor..

Doing some research for a story I'm working on

17 Years Ago

Any of you guys play golf? The reason I ask is I'm writing about a house and its inhabitants that is in front of a public golf course. I drive past it every day and their is a story in that area I tell ya. Now this golf course is split in two by a street. I don't know anything about golf but obviously they are not hitting the ball across the street to continue their game. There are some huge nets stopping them from doing so. I see a flag on one side of the course. I'm guessing they play for that whole and then cross the street and pick the game up from their. Is there a nickname for doing such a thing? Just wondering if thier was any cool lingo I should be using.

The golf course doesn't play a big role in the piece but a murder does happen there. So any tips or lingo would be appreciated.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Strange how that course is designed. I've played a bit a golf over the years, including courses that run through communities. Most have pathways for the golf carts and the end of one hole is at the end of the street, then people would simply drive the cart across the street to the next hole (usually the tee box). I don't think there's a particular lingo for that. Green is the flat grass around the hole or pin (the flag). There are bunkers and sand traps and the middle of the course is the fairway. The tee boxes usually have three spots -- pro, mens and ladies tees.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Ahh thanks for the info. Yea there is stop light where the golf carts and people cross. Gets on my nerves during rush hour. haha.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Visually, what you describe is intriguing. I suppose it depends on how deep you want to get into golf and if there is some metaphor involved here.

I haven't played a lot of golf but I would think knowing your clubs and some of the little terms is good. One I recommend that might be fun is chip and run. You use this when the ball falls just short of the green. The idea is to "pop" the ball up onto the green.

It is a short, sharp strike that lifts the ball up in the air and then have the ball land on the green & hopefully roll gently to the cup. You don't want to impart too much force otherwise the ball will have too much momentum and roll right across the green. Or even worse, fly over the green. Most people use a wedge for it, but I prefer a 7 iron.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Thanks Loekie, gives me some Ideas.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Great! That is what we are here for.