The Review Club : Forum : Discussion for CC's Burning Ti..

Discussion for CC's Burning Time Nick/Justin

17 Years Ago

This is the place to respond to reviews and for further discussion of CC's Burning Time Nick/Justin

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Hey CC. Review is up. Let me know if you have any questions. Rob

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Review is up. Make some comments on this story when you have some time. I really am curious to know where you see this going.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Rob, Mike, Anthony,

First, thank you all. Reading you work through what this means and where it's going is super helpful, because, honestly, that's always been the problem with this novel - I have no more idea than my reader does half the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it falls on its face.

As a word of explanation. Originally this was the second chapter. The first chapter introduces Juliana, which is why she's referenced here, in response to your question, Rob. I've never been able to get that first chapter quite right, and then I wrote a new second chapter to make this the third, and that wasn't right, so who knows where this introduction will ultimately fall. I think that I was interested to see the responses to Nick in this context, because, honestly, he's a lot more batshit in the first chapter, which sorta explains maybe his conduct here. Hell if I know. I have zero control over Nick, which is terrifying and hard.

So thank you for the perspectives. You've all given me some excellent ideas of where to go to see if I can work this out. Mike, the wider perspective idea appeals to me, although I'm not sure it works for THIS particular chapter - what did you think about the verb tense changes between Nick and Justin's voices? Anthony, as for the out of the office with the boy and fatal attraction stuff, yessssssss, tell me more (I told you guys, I'm clueless too). Rob, the manipulation thing from Justin is something I never really considered, and LOVE, as well as teasing in more of his voice as the story progresses, which is a great idea. I also appreciate that you hit on the archetype element, because that's a recurring theme, so any more thoughts you have would be excellent.

Thank you all, again.

-cc

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Bill,

Thank you for your comments. As to the shifting, POV, for once, we agree on POV... or we did... or something. Once, when I drafted this, the POV followed a variety of characters in close third, not just Nick and Justin, but, like I've said, who knows what will happen now. Maybe the layered voices will continue as a running theme. I have no idea. Thank you, again.

-cc