The Storytellers : Forum : questions about reviews

[reply] [quote]

questions about reviews

13 Years Ago

Reviews - How long is too long, in relation to the length of the item being reviewed?   (I just got a review that is twice as long as the short story being reviewed.  The story is about 3000 words, and the review is about 6000.  And, obviously, this wasn't to correct a lot of bad punctuation.  Very nearly the entire story was quoted along with the reviewer's comments and "corrections" to grammar that was correct the way it was.)   Is the rule, "If you can't say anything negative, don't say anything at all"?    (It has been suggested to me that reviewers should never write a review in which they only discuss in detail what is RIGHT with a piece of writing.  However, I feel that this can lead to the thing I mention above:  making "corrections" that aren't needed, simply to be able to tell the author to change something.)   If the author leaves no specific questions on their notes, is anything (except rudeness, of course) acceptable in a review?   (I occasionally get messages from people whose stories I've reviewed, complaining about the fact that I proofread the writing.  I don't review anything where the author has left a note saying "ignor the grammer" or whatever.  Is it reasonable to ask that authors SAY SO in their notes if they don't want that kind of feedback?  And what about other things that reviewers may discuss?  Is it okay for reviewer to politely say "I found the subject matter of this writing disturbing and unpleasant"?)   
[reply] [quote]

Re: questions about reviews

13 Years Ago

This is an interesting topic and one I'm guessing everyone feels differently about.  I've been on this site for a very short time, but I've seen just about everything.  I have to admit, seeing a 6000 word review of a 3000 word story is a first for me.  I think we all have one thing in common though.  We are all posting our work in our group library for one reason and one reason only...because we are seeking constructive advice on how to make it better.  Because we are all here for that reason, I think all of us are reviewing with best intentions and maybe trying a little harder to find something we can offer.  We really are trying to be helpful.  That doesn't mean we will always be helpful, but we are always trying.  I know that I have seen advice given by others that just makes me cringe and I want to holler out to the writer, "Don't listen!" and I'm sure the vice versa is true of advice I've given.

For me personally, I want that 6000 word review.  It doesn't mean I will accept any of the suggestions made in it.  In fact, with the confidence I have in my work and because I'm always right (ha ha), I will probably accept very little of it.  But I want to hear the suggestions because maybe, just maybe, there will be something in there that is beneficial to me.  What's the saying?  Throw enough s**t against the wall and some of it is gonna stick.  I've learned a ton over just the past two weeks from the experience and opinions of other writers, but I've also listened to a ton of utter hogwash to get it.  The bottom line is, it's MY decision what advice I use and what I say thank you very much and ignore.  But I want that decision to make.  So bring it on...from the horseshit to the sublime, I want every word of it.

I think the shorter answer to your question, Weaver, would be, we are a select group, different from the general population of the site.  We are here because we are hungry for help.  So maybe we go a little overboard trying to give it.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I'm kind of with Jim on this. I would like to have the 6000 word review. First it shows me that someone cared enough to take that kind of time or their World of Warcraft subscription ran out. Either way, I'm eager to get it. When someone reviews my stories, I want to know everything, what was good about it, what was bad about it, if it doesn't appeal to you why? Anything. I intend to get these things published, so when they appear on this site, I'm test driving them, or if you're a movie fan, Screening them. I can't know anything if I don't get the feedback and the more detail there is in the feedback, the more information I have to sort through to make decisions. Sure, there are things I disagree with. But, that's alright too. I'm the one who is ultimately in control. A 6000 word review, even if you don't agree with it, deserves a very hearty thank you and a resounding, "I appreciate it."
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

6000 words! That's awesome! But then you have to realize that that 6000 words isn't completely coming from the review itself. On this site when you review you have to copy the original text then put your comments next to it. And because we are writers, often times any explanations/suggestions/comments tend to be lengthy as we are trying to convey what we are either getting from the writing or not getting.

Do we have to take every suggestion/comment given, heck no, but for this one reader questions arose while reading. And for this one single reader there is more than likely at least a thousand more people who would pick up on what that one person did.

Kudos on such an in dpeth review, God knows something like that does not take a small amount of time!

Pearls of wisdom from Mikel:

"We all have to have it (constructive criticism). These stories are our babies and we want them to be the best they can be and sure, there are going to be things we don't agree with and that's OK too. That's the cool thing about creation, in the end, it's still our choice."
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I kind of agree with most of what everyone has said about this. I think that the more detailed a review, it says that, there were things noticed, it was thoroughly read, and if it was read in its entirety. To which i will say "please, sir may I have some more?" and hold my bowl up as high as I can to get as much as I can from what other people have to offer. I will say that a 6k review on a short story, may be a little bit overdone and  I would rather have it on a chapter in a book. It is interesting what people put on their page, that they don't want comments on. It seems a little silly to me to ask for criticism on specific parts of a work, when as the author and being close to a project you loose sight of the bigger picture some times and have things that you have made mistakes on even though you may be ridiculously good at them. When someone leaves a note saying that they know about the specific type of errors and then says please comment on my work but not on this, this, this, oh wait, and this too, so please just read it and tell me how great it is.  I have to say, that as a rule I try to limit my remarks on grammar because I know I'm not that great at it. I think people get more offended when you comment on content, proof in the scathing return comments I have received, when I suggested spell check, yes, spell check, as well as other purely objective suggestions. I think I went off on a tangent...hmm. Oh well, gosh I hope this comment relates or is helpful or any other -ful.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I am all about the extended review...and perhaps I was the one to give it to you.  I personally want someone to show me my mistakes.  If you've stared at your piece long enough, sometimes you overlook blatantly obvious mistakes.  At least, I do.  If someone is willing to take the time to give an in-depth review that's as long as my piece, I'm more than willing to take it with a heartfelt thanks.  Doesn't mean I'll take everything they say to heart and change it based on their opinion alone, but I will always look at what they feel I need to change.

I always review the way I want to be reviewed. I am not mean, but I do critique, and if there is one thing I've learned, if you are going to be a writer, you must be willing to take the critique, good or bad.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I would love a long review! However, if I don't agree with you, or you are wrong in your grammar correction, I'm not going to change anything.