Twilight's Disciples : Forum : Open Democracy

OPEN DEMOCRACY

14 Years Ago

Generally speaking, countries in the developed world are democratic. But, what does democracy mean to you? Do we take it for granted, perhaps? Should we be more concerned, at the gradual erosion of our civil liberties? Do you hold any views regarding electoral systems, such as proportional representation? Any other opinions, concerning the state of democracy in modern societies?

Julian

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

T.S. Eliot: "The term 'democracy' as I have said again and again, does not contain enough positive content to stand alone against the forces you dislike; it can easily be transformed by them."

Democracy is indeed preferable to autocracy, oligarchy, &c., for the simple reason that it seems to do a better job of holding various madmen at bay--until, of course, they're voted into office. A democratic society that lacks a sense of responsibility becomes a non-democratic society rather quickly. Then, Aristotle declares that democracy is a corrupted form of "constitutional government." Maybe because the former (what, as I see it, the U.S. has become) is less likely to have the principles that sustain the latter (what it started as).

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

My guess is that democracy is just a fancy way to keep us happy within monarchy, which will only grant civil rights to the ones who can afford them. Though people seem to be happy with the few civil rights they have. Democratic leaders are chosen by the people because they will take the people's problems in consideration when, unfortunately, they only aprove bills which help them and big-time bussiness men. But still, I think that, even though democracy seems a better way for the people, unfortunately it is hard to keep the same people in line with laws and a crappy police system which is easily corrupted. I think, that maybe what society needs to recover some lost values is a strong-willed dictatorship. Only through fear, have humans demonstrated they can change, if fear doesn't touch their heart, they will do nothing. This is only my raw opinion though.

Sichèrnam,
Demeter Suhcej

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Democray in itself is a nice idea.. but that is all it is an idea of nothing but a fantasy. We are deluded by the goverment and those with more power into beliving we are living in a democracy but it is not the case.

take for instant the war in iraq, as soemone who lives in london, i kno for a fact there where many marches, and complaints about the plan to bomb ira and the majority of those people would be saying no.. and yet the war went ahead despite the larger number not wanting it. and if democracy is honestly a vote of the people then surely that shud not of been the case.

We are also n a way manipulated, we would say we are given choices by our more powerful adversries.. but are we really or is it more, they choice is offered but the answer they want is sugggested toward, much like subliminal messageing we belive we have a choice because it was offered but we are fored into an answer, by falseitys lies and a belief it is for the better without really knowing what that decsion can often cause.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I agree...Democracy is a wonderful, beautiful idea. In theory. But in practice, it has fallen woefully short of what it could and should be.

A government should not exist but to protect the people. Not from themselves. From any who would seek to harm another. Anything else...religion, economy, personal moral principals...should be decided by the people, not by a few individuals who only claim that they are doing this.