War Of The Grimm : Forum : Chapter 1: Welcome To War

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Red

Chapter 1: Welcome To Beacon

9 Years Ago

Ciar: Lost two more yesterday. Funeral happening later this week. Apparently replacements coming today according to D'Arc

Ciar closed his journal and sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. He had liked Ray and Vert, they were skilled and had been good kids. He had thought that they were ready to go on an actual mission, not just a training operation; they had certainly been eager. Of course, that eagerness had lead to Ray being ripped apart by a group of Beowolves while Vert had been speared by a Nevermore feather. At the start, Ciar would have nightmares about stuff like that but by now, after everything he'd seen, it was like any other day. He'd learned to get as disconnected as possible to the deaths of subordinates and team mates. Ciar shook his head clear as he pushed himself away from his desk, grabbing his coffee and moving to the large floor-to-ceiling window in his room.

He had to admit, Beacon Academy and the surrounding area offered exceptional views. Hell, it was almost like a war for the future of humanity wasn't being fought across Remnant. Ciar chuckled to himself at that thought. Even when Grimm threatened to wipe out human and faunus kind, the world still had its beauty. Ciar heard the scroll on his bedside table vibrate, most likely a message from one of the members of Team JNPR. Sure enough, he opened the device and saw a message from Jaune D'Arc, his commander:

I know you might be still mourning Vert and Ray, but your new kids are coming in later today. I realize that it may be too soon, but we can't afford to have one of our best without a team to support him. They'll be at the Beacon helipad. Be nice, alright? I know how cold you can be to newbies; don't scare them off-Jaune

P.S. Come see me after you grab them, I'll be in my office. Pyrrha and I have a job for you

Ciar smiled as he read the message. He had made friends with Jaune a few years ago, shortly after the White Fang Uprising and the disappearance of Ruby Rose and Blake Belladonna of Team RWBY. He realized that the Beacon heads, Ozpin and Goodwitch, still had a search going for the two with support of Weiss Schnee and Ruby's sister Yang, the two remaining members. To be honest, he doubted they would ever be found. It had been quite some time since they'd vanished and, if they hadn't shown up by now, were most likely dead. It wasn't something he liked to think about, heroes like that dying, but by now it was just another part of life. Despite his feelings, deep down he had faith that they'd show up eventually even if his brain told him that it was pointless to believe in something like that. 

Ciar grabbed his coat and slipped on his Dreikopfdrache gauntlets on his way out the door, heading to the helipad. Beacon Academy was one of the most famous hunter-huntress academies on Remnant, but its intended role had been tossed to the wayside. Ciar would have loved to have seen Beacon before the war and uprising, when teams like JNPR and RWBY trained here (to this day, he still regretted not taking the chance to attend Beacon when he'd been offered). Now Beacon largely served as a command station for those hunters and huntresses fighting in Vale and eastern Vacuo,being used both as a staging area and a rear rest station. Ciar passed several other hunters and huntresses in the halls, most of whom he didn't recognize; another testament to the casualties that the Grimm had inflicted. 

Ciar exited Beacon and walked through the front field, once filled with decorative flowers and trees but now filled with tents and supply sheds. Ciar watched as an Atlisian airship slowly drifted towards Beacon, his new team mates likely on the craft. Those airships had been invaluable in the early days, mass fire from their cannons having obliterated the first million strong hordes of Grimm. Ciar had to admit, without Atlas and their firepower humanity likely would have lost the war before it even started. Ciar lifted his head as he watched several drop ships leave the ship and fly towards Beacon. Two flew past, likely heading to one of the supply depots at the Vale City docks but the third began its descent towards the helipad. Ciar straightened himself out; he didn't usually care for appearance but he did believe in first impressions. Standing tall, he watched as the dropship's rear ramp dropped and two young women stepped out. They seemed to be in awe at the sight of Beacon and the set-up around it, something Ciar couldn't help but smile at. 

Walking up to the two, Ciar bowed and shook both the girl's hands. "Ladies, I'm Ciar Katz. Welcome to Camp Beacon, aka Beacon Academy. You've been assigned as my new team mates, I'm assuming you know what happened to the last two. Now, if you would follow me, we have an appointment with your new commander and a personal friend of mine" Ciar said as he began towards Jaune's office. "So, if we're gonna be a team, mind telling me about yourselves?" 

Re: Chapter 1: Welcome To War

9 Years Ago

Eryn:
The dust around the helipad swirled into a vortex as the chopper descended. As it gently came to rest upon the ground, a man came up to me and my fellow passenger and shook are hands. His name, he told us, was Ciar. His silver hair whipped around violently in the wake of the chopper blades, and I could hardly hear him as he motioned for us to follow him.

"Well, tell me about yourselves." He said, as we walked away from the landing sight. I kept myself quite until we were a bit farther away. At last when I believed it would be reasonable to talk, I did so.
"My name is Eryn Raide. I'm a survivor of one of the infested cities out from Minstral, though I have lived in each of the other three kingdoms at some point, but I've never been to Vale." I say briefly. I was not usually one for talking, preferring to listen and learn or take action; anything that would bring me closer to reclaiming my home.
"You guys must like it here," I start, "Seems peaceful, likely most could care less about the world outside these walls. Though you are all more like canaries, trapped in such a cage."
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: Well, she must be fun at parties, Ciar thought as he listened to the first girl, Eryn, speak. It was already pretty clear that she wasn't much of a talker, although given what she said about being a survivor, he wasn't all that surprised. Still, if she was going to fight with him they'd need to work on co-ordination. 

Ciar sighed when Eryn said that people at Beacon could care less and were like canaries. She didn't even know a thing about life here, so he couldn't help being a little irritated at the assumption. "It may seem like it but in reality every single man and woman here has already went out multiple times. This isn't some sort of cushy, sleepy town full of oblivious people. you've just entered the command post for every hunter and huntress engaged in battle in Vale and Eastern Vacuo. No one here hasn't fought at least twice. The man we're going to see, your new commander? He's one of the best; lost his arm in the White Fang Uprising yet still was one of the first to pick up his weapon when the Grimm invaded" Ciar caught a glimmer of recognition in the girl Eryn's eyes; if she hadn't heard about JNPR than she had obviously not been in the official loop...or lived in any city or town in any of the kingdoms.

"Still, I get why you'd think that. Everyone's tense here, but after what some of them have been involved with I'd want to pretend the world was normal too" Ciar noticed a non-descript building out of the corner of his eye; Beacon's old forge, re-purposed for R&D and housing one of the darker aspects of the war "Once we're done with the meeting, I'll show you both what we have to deal with here" Ciar faced did soften however, and his tone dropped. "I'm sorry about your town. I had  friends fighting in Mistral, a lot of them didn't make it when most of the country was over-run. I promise you, before the war is over you'll be one of the first to re-enter the country as a liberator" Ciar hoped that but Eryn at ease; thinking about her predicament brought up bad memories of his own. Perking up, he turned to the other girl "How 'bout you? Whats your story?"

9 Years Ago

Norman was clad in Beowulf fur and was currently dragging one through the streets to the helicarrier. They were trying to make him go to some other school other than beacon, so he decided he would through this at the feet of the director and demand to be let in. He ignored the stares of the civilians and boarded the helicopter. After a few minutes he had arrived and jumped out with his prize over his shoulder. He began dragging again as he ignored the whispers of what he assumed were hunters. Norman really never understood that title. They were hunters if the Grimm sure, but that made them more like soldiers at this point. A true hunter is stealthy, able to stock his prey waiting for the best moment to strike, this just looked like a military installation. Norman could still hear the the howl of the Beowulf that had invaded his village. Luckily the nobles in charge, his family, had been hunters for generations ACTUAL hunters. The traps we had prepared were enough to deter all but the alpha. At that point the civilians had been evacuated and he alone had the family gun. So he knew his family wasn't going to meet him when he heard that howl.
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: Ciar was interrupted by the crackle of his ear piece. "Hey, Katz we got reports of some fur-clad guy dragging a Beowolf corpse through downtown Vale, towards Beacon. Want us to check it out?" Ciar sighed to himself. They constantly had people like that come in, those claiming that what Ciar and his comrades did weren't truly deserving of their title or some such thing. At this point, it was nothing more than an irritation. "Yeah, take some guys and intercept, detain if necessary. If he starts ranting about 'true hunters' or something like that, you have my permission to knock him the hell out" Ciar's request was met by laughter and a sign-off crackle. Ciar returned his attention to the girls, being met by cocked eyebrows. Ciar just shrugged, "Just some crazy. Happens all the time. Should we continue?" Ciar took his charges to the huge doors of Jaune's office, one that previously belonged to Ozpin. Knocking on the door, Ciar poked his head in. "Hey, Jaune. You in here? Pyrrha?" Ciar was met by a grunt, Jaune's usual way of answering. Ushering in his charges, Ciar walked up to the desk containing his blonde friend, who looked up at their approach. "Ladies, may I introduce to you Jaune D'Arc, one of the commanders of Camp Beacon and one of the greatest hunters I've ever known" Ciar could have sworn that he saw both girl's eyes grow to saucers. "Please, Ciar. You know there's better. So, you two must be the new members of Ciar's team that I was messaged about. Glad to finally meet you" Jaune extended his robotic hand, a common joke he always played on new recruits. Ciar wasn't surprised when they didn't react, however. "Now, Im assuming Ciar told you why I called him here? We've had reports that Grimm have begun pushing into the Forever Fall buffer zone, something that you know we can't have. I dont think this'll be to hard so this should be a good first mission" Ciar nodded, agreeing with Jaune. Forever Fall was pretty calm compared to the early days; its pacified status combined with its vicinity to Beacon made it ideal training grounds. "That should be a good start. Anything else?" Jaune shook his head. "Ok, I'll check in every hour to keep you posted. Where's Pyrrha by the way? Haven't seen her yet." Jaune smiled at Ciar's question. "She's helping at Vale's hospital. New round of civilian injured; she was one of the first to go help" Ciar could feel the admiration radiating of Jaune. He'd always been proud of his wife and her of him; Ciar always felt that they were the perfect couple. "Alright, I'll show the girls their rooms then head out. See you soon" Ciar said as he left the office, Jaune offering only a simple wave in response. Turning to the girls, Ciar smiled. "The rooms here are pretty nice, comfortable and spacious. Shall we?"

9 Years Ago

Norman saw the men approach, and not feeling like getting into conflict uses his semblance to walk past unnoticed. After a while he walked into the office of what used to be ozpin and dropped the Beowulf. The commander in the room were startled by the appearance of a random Beowulf corpse. " I've come to join your army." Norman said disengaged his semblance and allowing himself to be noticed. Though truthfully he couldn't hold it much longer without going into cardiac arrest. " And I am perfectly sane thank you." He said leaning on his walking stick.
Red

9 Years Ago

Jaune jumped out of his chair as the mysterious man 'decloaked' and dumped the Beowolf carcass one the office floor. Jaune immediately adopted a fighting stance, unsheathing his blade and Crocea Mors. "The hell you are!" Jaune keyed the phone on his desk, connecting to Ciar's headset. "Ciar, get back here. That crazy guy in furs we were tracking? He just showed up. In my office. With a Grimm carcass" Ciar's reply came back as a simple expletive as Jaune and the man stared each other down.
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: "F**k" Ciar said as he got Jaune's message. He readied Dreikopfdrache, switching the weapon to railgun mode as he turned to the girls. "I've uploaded the locations of both your rooms. Get there and rest for now. I'll meet you at the helped tomorrow morning" Ciar ran down the hall, back towards Jaune's office swearing under his breath the entire way. He slammed open the office door, finding Jaune staring down the mysterious man; the previously mentioned Beowolf corpse sitting in between them. "I need backup at Jaune's office NOW" Ciar shouted into his earpiece, then levelled his railgun at the back of the man's head. "Now mind explaining who in the Dust walks into Beacon Academy lugging a Grimm's rotting corpse? If you answer to my liking, I won't level your skull with my little toy here"

9 Years Ago

Norman jokingly held up a hand in mock surrender, placing his walking staff on the ground and using his semblance to pull out a canister of black dust, black powder, and began tossing it through the air, juggling it. " The kind of person that values action over words." He said simply. He was trying to be social, he was probably failing, he wasn't very socially adept, and right now his words might cause some problems.
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: Both Jaune and Ciar tensed up as the man withdrew a canister of black dust, Ciar readying his gun to fire. "Very funny. Im serious, who are you? To be honest, I'd rather not dirty Jaune's office with more blood than is already here, but if you try anything, Jaune, I." At that moment two hunters entered the room and moved to secure the man. "Or these men will be forced to respond. Now, can you please tell me who you are?" Ciar made sure that both himself and the two other hunters were set up so that at least one of them would get the guy in case he took down two. He knew Pyrrha would kill him if anything happened to Jaune on his watch; she was someone who wasnt fun to piss off.

9 Years Ago

"I am Norman, a noble from a small country nestled in the mountains. My town was attacked by Beowulfs and so after killing the alpha," he said gesturing to the Beowulf, " I proceeded to bring it here as proof of my abilities and enlist." He explained continuing to cuddle the canister.
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: Ciar, both hunters, and Jaune stared at the man, Norman he called himself, completely dumbfounded. "What" all four said, still processing what the man had said. Ciar was the first to compose himself. "Look Norman, Im sorry that your village was destroyed and Im not doubting your abilities, but killing an alpha Beowolf and dragging it all the way here doesnt prove your skill" Ciar gestured to the two hunters in front of Norman. "These men have killed Grimm way more dangerous than an alpha Beowolf, not discrediting the fact that they've killed multiple alphas" Ciar nodded at the two men, then gestured to Jaune. "You know who that is? Jaune D'Arc, leader of Team JNPR and one of the heroes of the White Fang Uprising. Hes killed scores of Grimm, including several Nevermores. His wife Pyrrha Nikos has around the same" Ciar grinned at Jaune, guiltless in his flattery. "And me? I dont think Im as good as Jaune but I still think Ive done pretty damn good" Ciar's tone lowered sadly and angrily. "And your skill is non-existent compared to Team RWBY. So, excuse me if I dont think you have the abilities to join us" Ciar turned Norma around and glared at him angrily; Ciar knew the man had no right to say he had skill by killing an alpha when so many more skilled men and women had given their lives for people like him

9 Years Ago

"Very well then. I'll just kill all of you and be on my way." Right as he said that they kept over to capture him, but he smashed one of the hunters with the canister, after kicking up his walking staff smashed his face with the staff then using his semblance to go unnoticed and turned his staff into his musket and appeared outside of the door and shot the canister causing it to explode. Those two were skilled and hid behind the desk, but those two hunters weren't so lucky. Changing his musket to his staff and taking out the blade he walked away. He would have to wait using his semblance. His heart couldn't take much more. He sliced any hunter that tried to detain him, but he didn't kill them. They weren't involved after all. (Chaotic neutral for the win)
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: Norman's surprise attack managed to do exactly that, catching all four of the hunters by surprise. Ciar felt the man's staff smash his face; it was likely that his nose was broken. Ciar lept behind Jaune's desk to gain some cover, urging the other two to join them. Before they could, Norman reappeared beyond the door's threshold, his cane having transformed into a musket. With a blast, he detonated the black Dust canister, causing the whole room to shake and be enveloped in smoke. As the debris cleared, Ciar found both hunters down. Making sure Jaune was ok, Ciar moved to check on his comrades. The first man was already gone, the blast having torn his weapon to shreds and sending the shrapnel into the man's face and throat. The second was a different story; the blast wave had grazed him and shrapnel from his friend's weapon had hit his chest and face. Checking him over, Ciar knew he'd survived but he would take a long time to recover. "Get the medic!" Ciar yelled at Jaune, who had managed to get himself up. "I got better. Velvet is here on leave, I'll call her and get a secondary team here" Ciar nodded before he heard conflict in the hall and rushed out. He found more of Norman's handiwork, several hunters and huntresses slumped and collapsed in the hall from non-fatal wounds, obviously from Norman. "Get more guys up here! We got more casualties in the hall!" Ciar yelled back to Jaune as several of his comrades came to assist. "Where are you going?" Jaune yelled as Ciar left the room. "Gotta go check on the girls!" he yelled as he dashed down the hall, careful not to step on the injured. With everything that had happened, he'd completely forgotten about his new proteges (Ladies and gents, I think we have our first villain of the RP depending on how this plays out)

9 Years Ago

Norman had hidden in the rafters to avoid anymore personal and saw that man running down the halls. Where was he going in such a hurry? Silently making his way through the rafters he began to follow the man. After a while the man came to a dorm complex, ' Oh checking on some more of his men?' Norman thought. Once he began checking rooms Norman began to carefully reload the musket. Black dust, shooting patch, musket ball. Norman was working on a way to make elemental musket balls. That would be a lot if fire power to use
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: "All injured stabilized, transporting them to infirmary now" Ciar was relieved that they'd managed to stop anyone else from dying although he still felt remorse for the man who hadn't made it. "Jaune, did we lock down the building?" Ciar asked into his ear piece. It was already clear that that Norman guy had a pretty heavy-duty semblance in the form of invisibility; even he wasn't sure locking down the building would work. "Yeah, the outside areas on high-alert too. Plus that Atlas airship over Beacon has men on standby" Jaune responded. Ciar was definitely feeling better as he neared the dorms. If anyone could get the b*****d, it would be Atlas. "Oh, and Ciar?" "Yeah?" "Pyrrha's home" Now THAT bit of news made Ciar grin madly. Pyrrha would be PISSED about an attack like this, twofold if someone was killed. He considered Norman as good as dead. "Gotcha. Tell her I'm grabbing my team and we'll move to help secure" Ciar said as he rounded the corner to find Eryn and the other girl (somehow, he still hadn't got her name). They both looked bewildered and frankly a little scared, something Ciar couldn't blame them for. "You girls ok? Come on, you're helping me and the others lock down the academy. I'll explain on the way" 

9 Years Ago

Eryn:
"I'm fine, just curious as to how this man managed to contain a dead Beowulf. Typically they disintegrate." I say easily matching Ciar's pace. I could tell we were chasing an unpredictable adversary so I used my future sense , and with good reason it seemed as I pushed Ciar out of a bullets path a mere second before impact.
"I'll help with the shots, you worry about getting in close."

9 Years Ago

The answer was simple, the Beowulf wasn't dead. A distant howl could be heard as the beast woke up. Norman had hoped with the howl to shoot that man, but that girl saved him. With a sigh he moved and began reloading.
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: Ciar hit the ground with a thud, the impact point from Norman's bullet sitting where his head would have been. "Thanks" he said to Eryn, dusting himself off as he got up. "Hey, Norman! I know your up there!" he yelled up at the rafters; using a weapon that produced a lot of visible smoke and had a ridiculously long reload time didn't help Norman's case. Before anything else could be said, a loud howl reverberated through the halls, followed by a high-pitched squeal; presumably Jaune taking out a grumpy and recently awoken alpha Beowolf. This fact only made Ciar angry; he had no tolerance for people who needlessly put other people's lives in danger, especially if they were his comrades. "You think you're safe in the shadows, Norman?" Ciar said, his tone growing sinister as he raised an outstretched palm. "Think again" he growled, slamming his fist closed. A sickening squelch sounded above him, blood raining down. This was followed shortly by Norman's mangled body; one arm was definitely broken and one of his legs was bent at an unnatural angle. Ciar didn't even bother thinking about the massive internal damage he probably had; he hadn't tried to kill Norman, as much as he may have wanted to. "Our attacker is down. Send a medical team and reinforcements" Ciar said into his ear mike as he restrained Norman with more hardened shadows. Norman wouldn't be moving with his injuries but it never hurt to be cautious. He knelt down to inspect the body, searching for anything that might be useful. Eventually, he found a small glass vial which held, of all things, two rose petals; one red and one black. Ciar could feel energy radiating out of the vial; these weren't normal petals, these were made of hardened aura. Only one person could produce something like that. "Now where did you get these, Norman?" Ciar mumbled to the unconscious form, rolling the vial in his hands. "Where did you meet Ruby Rose?"

9 Years Ago

Huh...... He controls shadows, well then I'm- were the last thoughts going through his head before his arm and leg were broken and he was thrown out of his hiding place. He woke up at what he assumed was several hours later as his injuries were set and bound and he was chained to a chair with several men with guns pointing at his and that man who broke his arm and leg along with a female he didn't know and the commander. " Well, at least I'm not dead." He said dryly as he watched them. " So where's my stuff?" He asked looking around.

First Page first
Previous Page prev