Writers Against Writer's Block : Forum : Brainstorming

[reply] [quote]

Brainstorming

14 Years Ago

Well, I thought I'd start a thread since the forum is looking rather blank.
Need any help brainstorming, getting past writer's block? Perhaps some fresh ideas would help from other writers.
Please DON'T HESITATE to share!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Lol- I suppose one reason it is looking rather blank is because I just finished making it!
Hmmm. You know what we really should do? -brainstorms-
We should do collaborations.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Brainstorms are great, but they have never really done me much good. There is something about that which leaves me staring at it like I have never seen it before. For me, free-writing is the way to go. Just write whatever is there, and don't worry if it does not make any sense. You can fix that later. If that is something that you have never really tried or method used, go to the website Write or Die!...it is worth it. As a matter of fact, here is the link. Do yourself a favor and check it out.    
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

While I agree that free-writing is certainly more self-fulfilling then setting up an intricate plot, I find it difficult to enjoy free-writing novels or anything longer then a short story. Everything just scrambles up like Faulkner, and while that man was a genius, his books were incredibly hard for anyone under the age of twenty to follow.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

It seems that all the classic writers are hard to follow. It was a time of literal language. This day and age, this generation, has fallen from that literal language into something more streamline and mainstream. Not that this is a bad thing, for who to say change is ever bad in literature? New kings and queens of a literary world make up the evolution of writing.

The true issue with free-writing is this: even though they are writing, speaking through literature, are they really saying anything? Free-writing is about pouring new thoughts out. Not forcing a book or a story. Not just throwing something together and calling it done. It is about growing new ideas, raising new babies to nurture into something magnificent. Just because I might free-write about something does not mean in belongs in any finished story or book.

This is just food for thought of course.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

i do agree, brainstorming does nothing good for me; i do prefer free writing. i have come up with many poems from free writing. plus, it is a way to let it all out without having to make it make sense for someone else, because you know what it means.
also, listening to music helps me. if you listen to the lyrics and the individual words, it gives me ideas. i don't know, but it works for me.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I, too, usually free write, but then when I do a full-out brainstorming session I really benifit from it, but I don't do it very often. A lot of writers don't understand the benifits of a good brainstorming session, lol, including me.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I prefer inspirational tidbits rather than brainstorming. Give me a ridiculous sentence or even one word, and that's all the inspiration I need.

For example: Burgled.

Who can give me a poem on "Burgled"?