Writers Plus+ : Forum : This may be the only group tha..

[reply] [quote]

This may be the only group that gets this...

17 Years Ago

You know, I've never seen myself as a writer, per se.
I see myself as an artist.
So why do I write? Not because I can, or because I want to. It's because I have to.
I have to create in the same way as I have to breathe.
Sometimes the idea my muse just b***h-slapped me with comes out in sculpture.
Sometimes it comes out on stage.
Sometimes it comes out in charcoal.
Sometimes it's oil or acrylic or watercolor.
Usually the idea is too complex for these, so it comes out in words. The English language contains a more shaded pallette, more form, and more movement than any other medium.

So, yeah. I'm an artist. I just happen to paint in text.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I completely understand where you are coming from, my canvas has always been words but I'm also in love with photography, music, design and painting. The medium presents itself depending on where I am in my life.

Kasia.

Quote:
A life lived by choice is a life of CONSCIOUS action
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I totally agree with this. The same goes for me too. I use different forms of expression depending on how I feel. Sometimes it's through music, other times painting, other times writing. I think one should embrace them all and not limit oneself, even if one is better at one thing than they are another. It all doesn't matter. What matters is to express yourself...and more importantly, express yourself without giving a damn as to whether or not it lives in the realm of "hip", which is a problem here in NYC. I think you have the right attitude...
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I'm new here to the site and group. I have journaled and written off and on my entire life. It has a comforting effect on me that I do not find anywhere else. I write to pour my emotions into a place that i cannot do anywhere else. I also write to learn from my experiences or, to commemorate an experience.
I've never had any true formal experience. so my poems and written pieces are a bit raw; but I'm learning as I go.
This is as much therapy as it is anything else.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I may be a little different than many of you in the fact that I just now turned to writing. I have always been an artist, either in painting, drawing, jewelry or photography.

Photography was what I really enjoyed until I tried to make it my livelihood by opening a studio and thinking I had to bid on every job that came along. UGH! lol...if I ever see another little league team that my kids aren't on!

I began writing because I loved reading and wanted to tell a tale or twenty. I recently have become quite lucky in finding a great partner. She is talented and pushes me in writing, photography and has become a muse when I stare at my screen too long. Before I had asked friends with now writing backgound to look at my work and I always got the "Its great!" reviews. Now I get the "It could be great......if you...." SO much better!

To see a little of my fun stuff go to www.moonlitembrace.com
there are pix I have done and samples of my writing.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

yea another artist here. from art sculptor photography painting work to be seen to evoke a response to performing spoken word. just another one trying to make the bridge from performance to the page.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

those are beautiful words. and i completely understand. :)

::hugs!::

<3kara
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I too am an artist. I never really saw myself writing, and i still don't. I only have two works out, but it's still good for me.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

i've always been both writer and musician.. like since i was a little kid i've been both. so i don't know what to see myself as and i don't care to exacerbate any one side over the other because i enjoy both. in fact i draw in black ink now as well. i like to take pictures too. i can see in all mediums and see the strenghts of all of them. i suppose i work with whatever's handy at the time i see something.

so i watch sports and i figure that if certain great atheletes can play more than one position-- or even more than one sport-- why can't artists work in multiple mediums? sylvia plath was also a killer drawer.. kerouac wrote awesome poetry and fiction and was also on a football scholorship in college... emeril lagasse is actually a good drummer... (bam!)

in my opinion-- if you're into it, the more you want to learn the better. the more art you want to experience the better. if you are truly strong in one thing-- the more you learn about everything else the better you will become at your craft. rock.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

yeah me too...ive been writing for myself for about 6 years now...painting for about 3...two very different modes for me ...but they both provide a way to communicate abstractly and symbolically.....thats is, poerty & collage...stage performace is somthing i havnt done in many years but it certainly has that great immediacy that we all love
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Artistic expression absolutely comes out in different forms. Some seem to be able to work in various media simultaneously. In my case, I've gone from poetry as a kids, to music in my young adult years, to writing for the remainder of my time here. What I find striking about the process has been the absolute obsession I've had with creating a certain mental image, a particular vibe, or now when using the written word, a believable alternate universe. In each case I found myself to be totally involved. I'm often distracted by the story I'm writing when I would otherwise be involved with more mundane day to day activitives. But whether I'm riding my bike, shopping for groceries or going over the days math homework with the kids, I'm thinking about a character, or a scene or a transition I need to get my story through.

I've been lucky enough to experience more than one form of expression. I just wish I could draw. I think that would be a tremendously satisfying way to go. But my stick figures are shaky at best.

We all have limitations I guess. But we can still fight against them.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Hello,

I have been asked to join this group- and find I can readily relate to the starting post for this topic (and the responses.) I have found that attending to the process- as well as the object- of my creative expression (regardless of the medium) is what drives me. To attend to what I am calling upon my brain/senses to percieve and communicate via art/language while I craft and create allows for play and feedom and even charity towards my final "result."
I hope that didn't sound like Im talking on stilts. I mean to say for me the object is no longer the object- the creative process is the object which produces art work as a by-product.

Thank you for asking me to join interesting this group.

Kathy
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pat
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Creative writing, poetry, painting, sculpture, and music are extensions of the soul. There are as many means of expression as there are people. I've known people that create very difficult logic puzzles as a form of expression. This boggles my brain. I work at a job because I have expenses and like to eat. I paint and write to step into another world besides the one I work in. Reading other's expressions also helps me to escape the mundane.

Artistic expression is as old as humanity. Without it, out brains remain underdeveloped. I've never seen the sun setting over a tropical island, but I've seen painting of it and read poems about it. I can vicariously live and experience new things through the eyes and souls of artist that share their emotions and lives through their crafts.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I think it takes a special someone to writer and use other mediums. I have art friends, and this is not to discredit them, or maybe its on account of my fondness for writers that I have this bias; they don't cut it. They express themselves well with color and image depiction, but sometimes their explanations are lacking.

To write takes a really special skill. Most have it but it's like singing: the ones who do it well are either modest, and wont perform for anyone.

As for the mechanical writing "I feel I have to write, it's not a choice," I'm pretty sure it was Wordsworth who thought that the poet was a machine that never really lived an experience but was forced to just copy what he/she saw for others.

By the way, as a sort of intro to the group, I draw, design, sing, edit film, photography, and paint.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I hear ya. I bet we'd find alot of artists on here who write in addition to painting, drawing, playing guitar, acting on stage, et-cetera. It's all about getting what's in our heads, OUT of our heads. Any way we can. Or else.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

This is one of the truest topics I have ever come across. Not only in a forum, but in life, period. We are indeed all artists in our own special and gifted ways. As for myself; music and poetry take over my life. I've recently gotten into photography as well. It's like a drug. If we don't do it, we feel like we're not able to go on. We need it to go on. We need it to breathe. We need it to just be... to be who we are.. who we proudly are. I want you all to know that although I'm new here and I don't know any of you, I have a huge amount of respect for each and every one of you. ::smile::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

It's so true.Writing is just another form or creative expression, much like painting and sculpting. You can build as much beauty in words as you can from clay.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

That's awesome. Writing is technically an art form, after all. I used to paint a lot more than I do now. I also drew a comic strip for a while and I play bass guitar. So I understand.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
bkw
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I also completely understand. Somedays, I just have to write. Other days I need to get my hands on some watercolors and other days I find myself playing the violin for a crazy amount of hours. Everyone has different forms of expression and means of release, it seems, and I think that doing so is one of the healthiest things a person can do in life.