Pixie Dust

Pixie Dust

A Story by EVERYTHINGyoucantelltoSTRANGERS
"

english class... peter pan reference throughout...

"

I dug my heels into the ground to try and stop the swinging. I was already up too high. At the sight of the other swing looping over its suspension bar, I started to remember everything that we ended up doing.
            Noah and I had been lazy and cut class again. Since we were already awake, we went to the playground and talked. We talked about everyone we know and everyone we didn’t. It was more of a cause and effect character study aimed towards all our “people”, than a he-said-she-said. We had a lot of respect for anyone willing to go to school when the weather was so nice and cloudy. It wasn’t too hot, and the soft rain just kept us from falling asleep. It wasn’t that we didn’t like school as a whole, but ignoring teachers can be really time consuming and not worth the effort most days. The simple fact that we dragged ourselves out from under the covers every morning to the beeping of that ever-present alarm clock makes any so called ‘student’ concrete. It is something everyone does.

            Noah had a bit of wonder lust, though, and in that “flaw” or “quality”, if you would prefer, he tended to overlook the fundamental parts of his schemes. The practicalities were not what he was worried about, it was the miracle of the ideas he came up with.

            He flipped his head to his shoulder, “Hey, how far do you think we could jump?”
            “In the air? Well, a couple inches, most likely…”
            It appeared as if he was bemused at the way I answered him, “No, I meant off these things. As in INTO the air… not just ‘in’ it.”
            I started to understand his expression, “Oh… I hadn’t really thought about it. I guess if we got high enough on our swings, and just fly off, you know, we could get somewhat high….”
            He seemed a little upset, “Like how high, d’you think? Over the stone wall, maybe?” gesturing to the fortification cutting off another playground, about ten feet away.
            “What do you think? I’m not trying it,” it was a little too far to think about over or under shooting it, on the off chance. I never cared much for risks, outside of the ones I avoid at school, of course.

“Fine then, get out of my way, Lise, I’m aiming for between the flower beds…” I wasn’t really sure I wanted to see him try and jump that far, a good two feet past the last landmark he was aiming for, putting into consideration the fact that we were only hanging off of chains to start with. To hazard anything past swinging somewhat high from them was a little out of the comfort zone of most people, even though they would probably never admit it. I was more than happy to, if ever it came down to it.

I knew I had to relent to Mr. Evil Kenevil, though, “Fine, Noah, go for it… but for the record, if anything happens to you, I did everything I could to try and stop you. We clear?”

He put the discarded pair of shoes by his feet on, gaining height as we were talking, “Sure, whatever… You mean you’re not coming, don’t you?”
 “Coming where?”

“To Neverland of course!”

Shortly after finishing the last syllable, he took off. Rather than going anywhere, though, his feet caught the back side of the swing and he fell two feet into the grass. The swing just kept looping around the bar.

            “I did everything I could, you know…”

He grumbled and turned to face me from the grass. “Peter Pan would like to note that you were right and that perhaps he should be more aware of the attitude of those around him…”

I turned to the swing he had previously occupied, and watched as the ground below me slowly got farther and farther away. I stopped myself from going any farther, and jumped a conservative foot, landing beside Noah on the grass-laden dirt that some preferred to refer to as “grass” in its prime.  

“Well, I guess I can deal with that from now on. The only question remaining is should I be Wendy or Tinkerbelle?”

 

© 2008 EVERYTHINGyoucantelltoSTRANGERS


Author's Note

EVERYTHINGyoucantelltoSTRANGERS
not sure about the intro bit... meant tobe a flashback story *probably going to be published at school, too*

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on April 8, 2008

Author

EVERYTHINGyoucantelltoSTRANGERS
EVERYTHINGyoucantelltoSTRANGERS

the big E



About
Right. Well. Once upon a time, I was relatively well known on this site. And then the site crashed. With a fair bit of my work on it. And I got understandably (right?) frustrated. I missed the communi.. more..

Writing